• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

NT privilege

A round table discussion on public television be one idea. The contrast between someone like this so called Feminist Aspie and others Slithytoves :) like you, and several others such as JE Robinson, a couple doctors and/or neuropsychs, & get one of these journalists who have been spewing the misconceptions?

Public TV isn't a bad place to start, certainly, though getting it picked up nationally would be next to impossible without a killer lineup. Something on NPR might be a good alternative, with the right contributors. I do know a former NPR newsman. It's been years since we spoke though. His ex-wife "won" me in their divorce, though I was always more fond of him than her.

Oliver Sacks sounds like someone I should email. :)

News reporting is dramatized because it increase's viewers and readers. It's a very competitive business and accuracy doesn't seem to matter that much. Treads start that insinuate certain groups, are guilty of all kinds things. I believe that we have become subject of one of these treads.

It's a critical concern, as fact can be so conveniently interwoven with fantasy these days. We need to move back into the realm of real people rather than Sheldon Coopers, Walter O'Briens or even girls with Dragon tattoos.

Would anybody think I was totally nuts if I sent a letter to Sanjay Gupta? I've heard him mention the mischaracterization of autistics on CNN. He has been fantastic with the "Weed" series. Excellent at minimizing sensationalism. And he has credibility. It's a long-shot, but....

I'm not even sure he's all that much affiliated with such causes theses days. I really don't know, other than to point out the unrelated scandal with his son must have taken its toll on him personally and professionally.

These days whenever I think of the "Rainbow" I think primarily of GLBT causes rather than those of race.

Yeah, I kinda wish we didn't use the rainbow. It's confusing to the public. Jackson is still involved with Rainbow/PUSH (People United to Serve Humanity). Not like he was when it was a black thing.

Yeah, I kinda wish we didn't use the rainbow. It's confusing to the public. Jackson is still involved with Rainbow/PUSH (People United to Serve Humanity). Not like he was when it was a black thing.

Point taken. Those on the spectrum of autism inherently transcend race, so it might prove a distraction to be involved with a group which is so easily associated with race overall. But again, my perception reflects a regional bias...but I agree with you.

Point taken. Those on the spectrum of autism inherently transcend race, so it might prove a distraction to be involved with a group which is so easily associated with race overall. But again, my perception reflects a regional bias...but I agree with you.

Oh, no, I meant I wish the spectrum community didn't use the rainbow as our "colors". It's been done to death by other groups.

Any thoughts on my proposal to write Sanjay Gupta? One positive response and I'll start a thread to get people's ideas for what to say.

Any thoughts on my proposal to write Sanjay Gupta? One positive response and I'll start a thread to get people's ideas for what to say.

Excellent choice and on so many levels. Starting of course that apart from being a well known and respected media personality, he's also a neurosurgeon. :cool:

"Bloody brilliant", as Ron Weasley would probably say. ;)

I have concerns about Sanjay Gupta. He was ardent against healthcare reform. Then when it happened, he praised it. I'm not sure we want Dr. Gupta representing our kind.

I have concerns about Sanjay Gupta. He was ardent against healthcare reform. Then when it happened, he praised it. I'm not sure we want Dr. Gupta representing our kind.

He was a critic of the Obama administration's health care reform plan, yes, but not because he didn't think reform should happen. He wasn't convinced the plan was adequate to work the way it would need to in order to be truly effective. Frankly, neither was/am I. I don't question him for praising it after the fact. It's at least a step in the right direction.

Gupta was once opposed to medical marijuana, too, but has become its most visible champion. I admire his ability to change his position based on new information. Having worked for surgeons, I can tell you they tend to be set in their ways.

I'll start a thread on the subject, to unburden this one.

He was a critic of the Obama administration's health care reform plan, yes, but not because he didn't think reform should happen. He wasn't convinced the plan was adequate to work the way it would need to in order to be truly effective. Frankly, neither was/am I. I don't question him for praising it after the fact. It's at least a step in the right direction.

Gupta was once opposed to medical marijuana, too, but has become its most visible champion. I admire his ability to change his position based on new information. Having worked for surgeons, I can tell you they tend to be set in their ways.

I'm not much interested in his personal bias, but more over his professional credentials and the network he represents. In this respect I believe he reflects more balance than bias. Ultimately we should be focused only on his views regarding autism and nothing else.

Otherwise we risk becoming just another cause a polarized electorate assesses as part of the left, or the right. Let's not marginalize ourselves so easily.

Last edited:

Ah okay. I guess I listened too much to Michael Moore. Sanjay is correct, healthcare reform is sorely broken.

New Threads

Top Bottom