• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Late diagnosed

Greening

Hi all

I am a 49 year old man, who was diagnosed with Aspergers, now called autism, when I was 48. So I have had a little more than a year to get used to this diagnosis. It has clarified some things in my life, while others are still some I explore and adjust my life to.

1705011820891.png

Thank you, tree. How appropriate to be welcomed by one with that name. I am from Denmark, so my English is not perfect. Just if anyone wondered.

Thank you very much. I had a suspicion about it, which was confirmed not long after, with no uncertainty. :)

Hello and welcome! :)
I'm not ASD myself, but I saw that a lot of people here were diagnosed pretty late, so that's something common it seems.
I hope you'll like it here, and I hope your life will only become better now, when you have at least some answers. Guess it's time now to soak up new info to answer on other questions and explore stuff :)
That's actually why I came here myself, to learn about people with ASD, and if I can make someone's life better with my silly chatting, then all is better, right? :D

Also a late joiner to the party here. I have a suspicion that there are a LOT of us out there. Popular culture so often has a portrayal of certain kinds of men (with pretty negative implications) that just shout ASD to me. The guy who likes his train set, the guy who disappears to the shed when family visit, the guy who "doesn't talk enough about his feelings", the guy painted as a "fixer" who tries to problem solve when his partner wants to vent, the guy who keeps asking "what's wrong?".

Good to have you here. Not from Denmark myself, but been plenty of times; lovely place.

I'm not ASD myself, but I saw that a lot of people here were diagnosed pretty late, so that's something common it seems.
I hope you'll like it here, and I hope your life will only become better now, when you have at least some answers. Guess it's time now to soak up new info to answer on other questions and explore stuff :)
That's actually why I came here myself, to learn about people with ASD, and if I can make someone's life better with my silly chatting, then all is better, right? :D

Thank you. :)
Late diagnosis is quite common, I am sure, yes. Especially, I think, with people, like me, who grew up in a very dysfunctional family.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have felt a bit alone lately. Very recently I got the most condescending comment from someone, which was very revealing, and deeply disturbing. I basically felt invisible.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have felt a bit alone lately. Very recently I got the most condescending comment from someone, which was very revealing, and deeply disturbing. I basically felt invisible.
I'm really sorry to hear that, important thing is to not let those hurtful things define you, you are who you want to be, not what others expect from you. If you want to vent, my dm is opened, and I know that a lot of other people will also support you.

Thanks. I had a long talk with the person's boss afterwards. If it happens again, I will write a complaint to a boss even higher up at that place. Besides that the person is now on my short list of people I will ignore for all eternity. :) If I want to make a post about an experience with suddenly itching all over, I had recently, can you tell the best place to do that?

Thanks. I had a long talk with the person's boss afterwards. If it happens again, I will write a complaint to a boss even higher up at that place. Besides that the person is now on my short list of people I will ignore for all eternity. :) If I want to make a post about an experience with suddenly itching all over, I had recently, can you tell the best place to do that?
Ah, I really love hearing that haha

You can write here: Help and Support

Welcome. Late diagnosis, especially Aperger's/ASD1, is very common There was no diagnosis when you were a kid in the 70s/80s.

Thanks. When was it possible to get an official diagnosis of autism or Asperger's? I think I have read it, but I do not remember.

Hello and welcome @Greening. I hope you enjoy the forum. Please let us know if you need help figuring out how everything works here.

New Threads

Top Bottom