• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this Aspie behavior?

Aspieistj

Fellow Aspies--what do you think? I have, all my life, had to struggle to control myself because I want to correct all grammar errors, mispronunciations, poor phrasing and punctuation errors. I am in real distress to hear mispronunciations like puNkin for pumPkin, FebUary instead of FebRuary, HOlloween instead of HAlloween, etc. I could go on forever. I can't control myself and often shudder or gasp when I hear or read errors in standard English. I am extremely judgmental of people who aren't meticulous in all things grammar. At the age of 71 it has just occurred to me that as an Aspie I want everything to be precise. I like rules and always try to comply, and I can't fathom why so many people are careless about grammar, spelling, pronunciation and punctuation. I recently realized that as an Aspie, my insistence upon correct use of the English language is somewhat like placing small items in rows or categories. Everything has to be controlled and correct. Does anyone agree with my self diagnosis? Thanks.
Nancy

Well I do feel like that sometimes. Although it could just be OCD, I'm not qualified to make diagnoses.

Ha ha! Don't get me started.

I get seriously wound up when people have no idea between the following -

- bought & brought
- were & we're
- to & too

Probably lots more that I can't think of right now.

And when people write something like 'tow the line' I feel like asking them where they intend towing it to? :)

When you point out these errors to people the usual response is 'whatever'. I suspect that NTs have a different way of thinking about language to aspies in that they are happy with errors & inconsistencies as long as the communication 'works'. Being very literal, I like the syntax, grammar & spelling to all be accurate so that I know what's expected in response.

I'm with you aspieistj -

intj :cool:

I am ashamed that yes I am like this too! The reason for shame? Because my English is pretty bad actually and it is thanks to spell check, that I get away with it, but for me, it is the little letters I get stuck on and so, really, who am I to judge?!

I never correct anyone physically, but if they could read my mind, ones probably wouldn't even speak around me lol

I am ashamed that yes I am like this too! The reason for shame? Because my English is pretty bad actually and it is thanks to spell check, that I get away with it, but for me, it is the little letters I get stuck on and so, really, who am I to judge?!

I never correct anyone physically, but if they could read my mind, ones probably wouldn't even speak around me lol

Suzanne - sorry I did not intend to cause offence. I realise it's my problem & that language is fluid & that the English spoken now is very different from the English spoken 300 years ago. It's probably my desire to have things lined-up, organised & predictable :rolleyes:

I don't know about it being aspie behavior, because if it is then I am no aspie. All the examples listed are the ones I have issues with daily. I have well paying job with 2 degrees so education has nothing to do with it.

In fact since joining this website I have found that I really have nothing in common with people here.

I have a diagnosis of asperger's, over 2 years worth of testing , several months of dedicated testing and a life time of being different.

I am not married, no kids, no friends, I don't go out at all. I even tried to "go out" this weekend and the end result was to my overly priced hotel room and wondered why in God's name people can stand living in a city or want to visit there.

In fact since joining this website I have found that I really have nothing in common with people here.

I have a diagnosis of asperger's, over 2 years worth of testing , several months of dedicated testing and a life time of being different.

I am not married, no kids, no friends, I don't go out at all. I even tried to "go out" this weekend and the end result was to my overly priced hotel room and wondered why in God's name people can stand living in a city or want to visit there.

In that case you sound just like I was at your age, amazing what another 23 years can do ;)

Fellow Aspies--what do you think? I have, all my life, had to struggle to control myself because I want to correct all grammar errors, mispronunciations, poor phrasing and punctuation errors. I am in real distress to hear mispronunciations like puNkin for pumPkin, FebUary instead of FebRuary, HOlloween instead of HAlloween, etc. I could go on forever. I can't control myself and often shudder or gasp when I hear or read errors in standard English. I am extremely judgmental of people who aren't meticulous in all things grammar. At the age of 71 it has just occurred to me that as an Aspie I want everything to be precise. I like rules and always try to comply, and I can't fathom why so many people are careless about grammar, spelling, pronunciation and punctuation. I recently realized that as an Aspie, my insistence upon correct use of the English language is somewhat like placing small items in rows or categories. Everything has to be controlled and correct. Does anyone agree with my self diagnosis? Thanks.
Nancy
I'm sure a lot of people with Asperger's do that, but then, I'm sure some without it might do it as well. It depends on what kind of person you want to be: the one who corrects everyone, the one who corrects only those who want to be corrected, or the one who corrects no one.
I feel this image would be appropriate.
My 1st reaction was, "oh, no, they made a mistake, how unfortunate! "
I quickly realized, that it was done one purpose and I think it sends a good message.
uploadfromtaptalk1430057319581.jpg

Christopher
I'm not sure where education came into the thread, but perhaps this issue shows how aspies are just as diverse as NTs

I really hope that my proclivity for correct (currently acceptable) spelling/grammar has not caused your consternation. If it did, I apologise sincerely.

I'd bet that we all here have had a lifetime of being 'different' and have all developed an individual way of dealing with that.

I have also tried on occasion to "go out" and experienced only spectacular failure - I have learned to drastically lower my expectations in all social situations to the point where I probably have no expectations :)

I'm sure a lot of people with Asperger's do that, but then, I'm sure some without it might do it as well. It depends on what kind of person you want to be: the one who corrects everyone, the one who corrects only those who want to be corrected, or the one who corrects no one.
I feel this image would be appropriate.
My 1st reaction was, "oh, no, they made a mistake, how unfortunate! "
I quickly realized, that it was done one purpose and I think it sends a good message.
View attachment 17302

epath
I don't correct anyone as I know how hurtful that can be.
I'm just starting to appreciate how different aspie individuals are.
My individual aspie likes language concise and accurate (sorry, I will try to not impose that on others).
I felt really bad seeing that image :eek:

It probably is Aspie to some extent, at least. Personally, I find it quite frustrating anymore to read websites; professions such as proofreader and editor seem to have fallen by the wayside. The pronunciations don't bother me as much; there have always been differences between regional dialects, and living languages are fluid things with variations in pronunciation, and even spelling, occurring over time.

Suzanne - sorry I did not intend to cause offence. I realise it's my problem & that language is fluid & that the English spoken now is very different from the English spoken 300 years ago. It's probably my desire to have things lined-up, organised & predictable :rolleyes:

Noooo you have not caused offense at all but lol mmmm how do I let you know that you got "offense" wrong lol

While of course I completely understand the proclivity for precision, really dude, you can't find any newer reference texts? At least try to find something 19th century, maybe 3rd or 4th edition Webster? ;)

Education and proper use and spelling of words have nothing to do with each other?

You have to learn the correct way somehow?

Like I said before, every post I read I am starting to see a trend that I think completely different than most here. That's not bad it's just disappointing.

Yes, I'm like this too - and since I'm a language teacher, translator and proofreader, I have the ideal job for it :)

I know better than to correct people unless they are my kids or someone I feel would prefer to be corrected. I was an RN in the 70's when there was a strong movement to raise the basic preparation for an RN to that of a BSN. I was originally a teacher and had a BS in Education but jumped at the chance to get an AAS and become an RN when I couldn't find a job teaching vocal and instrumental music. I was getting a divorce and needed a decent job and quickly got the AAS in Nursing and a job. However, every Nursing journal I read pushed for a minimum entrance to an RN license to become the BSN. Hospitals were beginning to pay more for advanced degrees. I totally agreed. I earned a BS in Health Education, a BS in Nursing and then, an MS in Nursing Administration. Far too many Diploma and AAS nurses declared that they didn't need any further education and that upset me because Nursing knowledge is complicated and grows constantly. Since everyone I worked with knew I was constantly going to school and getting extremely good grades, some nurses began to ask me for help. Most were terrified about going back to college. I frequently offered to mentor anyone who was uncomfortable about moving into the computer generation and the enormous amount of required writing involved in nursing degrees. I had written two Master's theses and survived is spite of being a very poor typist. I found that most profs required a very high level of professionalism in any written work and that research was a big part of getting the BS and MS in Nursing. Many returning students had never been held to such high standards and floundered. I never did anyone's work for them but I did very carefully proofread any time they asked me to. I helped them to accept and conform to whatever writing style the college required, and some were very demanding. I received some very gratifying appreciation from nurses who completed advanced degrees and told me they couldn't have done it without my help. I love to teach. I remain a terrible speller and am very grateful for the spell checker. However, the spell checker didn't spare me any embarrassment when I turned in a paper in which I had written thirty tears ago instead of thirty years! I feel the same way about grammar as I do about using proper table manners. It is simply a way for me to avoid making someone think I am a fool or bumpkin. ;)

Nancy, BS ED., AAS Nursing, MS Heatth Ed., MS Nursing Administration, and RNC, Nurse Generalist

Education is the peg on which the poor man hangs his pride. Author unknown.

Education and proper use and spelling of words have nothing to do with each other?

Like I said before, every post I read I am starting to see a trend that I think completely different than most here. That's not bad it's just disappointing.
Um--What, exactly is this new trend? Oh, I just can't help myself, it is supposed to be AS I said and not LIKE I said. Mea culpa!
Nancy

For me, Christopher Nicholson, it is the fact that we are all so very different yet accepting and friendly toward one another in a way that encourages and supports our uniqueness rather than any expectation of conformity which gives me a measure of peace otherwise unobtainable.
I do not do anything social either, in real life, nor do I have any friends. After being this way since a kid I am well used to it.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm like this too - and since I'm a language teacher, translator and proofreader, I have the ideal job for it :)
If I still wanted to work I would love to be a proof reader. I have a pen with me when I read and underline all mistakes. If I am reading on my Kindle, I use their underline app. I guess I really am an Aspie??????

New Threads

Top Bottom