• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this Aspie behavior?

If I still wanted to work I would love to be a proof reader. I have a pen with me when I read and underline all mistakes. If I am reading on my Kindle, I use their underline app. I guess I really am an Aspie??????
Yes, I think this is an AS trait, as Aspies are generally good at noticing details, small changes and irregularities that others miss.

Fellow Aspies--what do you think? I have, all my life, had to struggle to control myself because I want to correct all grammar errors, mispronunciations, poor phrasing and punctuation errors. I am in real distress to hear mispronunciations like puNkin for pumPkin, FebUary instead of FebRuary, HOlloween instead of HAlloween, etc. I could go on forever. I can't control myself and often shudder or gasp when I hear or read errors in standard English. I am extremely judgmental of people who aren't meticulous in all things grammar. At the age of 71 it has just occurred to me that as an Aspie I want everything to be precise. I like rules and always try to comply, and I can't fathom why so many people are careless about grammar, spelling, pronunciation and punctuation. I recently realized that as an Aspie, my insistence upon correct use of the English language is somewhat like placing small items in rows or categories. Everything has to be controlled and correct. Does anyone agree with my self diagnosis? Thanks.
Nancy
Is that Aspie like thinking? I think it is. I'm the same way, except not about language errors. With me it's about logic. Everything that I believe and most of the things that I do are based on logic. I have to control myself to keep from telling people that what they are doing or what they believe to be true are not the result logical thought. It just does not make sense. I can not fathom why people do these illogical things. How do they keep from getting hurt? As I get older, I seem to be less tolerant of all these things. I will try to keep my mouth shut, I don't want to get punched in the nose!

Um--What, exactly is this new trend? Oh, I just can't help myself, it is supposed to be AS I said and not LIKE I said. Mea culpa!
Nancy

In my opinion, correcting someone's spelling and use of words is rude - unless you are a teacher expected to correct someone's work or unless someone is interested enough to ask for your opinion. That's all I'm going to say about that.

I tend this way, but I rein it in.
I don't think it is aspie per se, but it can be an expression of aspieness. Very subtle difference.
Another aspie basis for it may be 'mind blindness' - I know it so you know it too - so how can you make that mistake?

In my opinion, correcting someone's spelling and use of words is rude - unless you are a teacher expected to correct someone's work or unless someone is interested enough to ask for your opinion. That's all I'm going to say about that.
You are right and it can get you punched in the nose. Well , maybe not with ladies. But try that with a bunch of guys and you could get punched in the nose.

> zurb that's astute. This may have to do with being an aspie and mind blindness, more than grammar and spelling like you said.
Almost every time I interact in a conversation with someone, for more than 3 or 4 minutes, I make an error - say something offensive - that stems from mind blindness. I replay all my social interactions and I catch these errors in hindsight. Speech cannot be edited in real time.

I live in the middle of a thickly-accented area. I have to let certain pronunciations slide. But some things like using "like" in the place of "lack" drives me nuts.

My sensitivity to poor English is as painful as someone suffering from loud noise or bright light. I understand that very many people simply don't think it is important to be correct in their use of the English language. However, I honestly can't understand how so many people who have obviously completed high school English ignore or don't care to follow grammar rules. We all had the same education in my neighborhood except for a few kids whose parents could afford to send them to the Catholic school. I can recall my teachers standing in front of the class lecturing and drilling us on a daily basis. I went to public schools in Stratford, CT and have only recently realized what a poor and varied ethnic neighborhood I lived in until I was in high school and we moved to a more affluent neighborhood. I lived in a two family house that was almost a tenement and didn't realize that either. I did know we were very poor, but we slowly improved our income when my mother finally finished her teaching degree. I often wonder how much of the rest of the subject matter we were taught just passed over my class mates' desire to learn and maintain.
Another thing I clearly recall is sort of odd, but still a good habit. Until I was in third grade and we sat at a desks to which the seats were attached, the students sat at tables. We were constantly ordered to push our chairs under the table whenever we left our seats. To this day, I always return a free standing straight chair to its place under the table whenever I get up. My own dining room, restaurants and cafeterias come to mind. Maybe I simply had good teachers and paid attention to what they taught. I still think this strict attention and compliance is a manifestation of my Aspieness.

Well if it makes you feel better being rude to others then I say go for it. Of course the English language wouldn't be where it is today if it wasn't for changes over the years.

Education and proper use and spelling of words have nothing to do with each other?

You have to learn the correct way somehow?

Like I said before, every post I read I am starting to see a trend that I think completely different than most here. That's not bad it's just disappointing.
Sometimes we see things we want to see. Sometimes they are actually there. You seem frustrated, regardless of the reason for you seeing what you are seeing.

There are a LOT of people on this site though. You might be a minority in a minority. Also not bad. Or disappointing.

I continue to use the term Aspie as a protest against anyone on the spectrum being called high functioning. I am now on the spectrum, but high functioning! What about the people who are low functioning? That implication seems terribly cruel to me. I wish the powers that be could find a better terminology to separate "Asies" from those more severely affected.

So, this is really just how I am viewing the OP's need to correct grammar- either actually provide correction or just mentally correct it and be frustrated by it.

In this context, it seems like correcting any given thing seen as "wrong" or "against" any given set of rules or viewed as a sort of injustice is "typical aspie behavior".

I would suggest in this particular case, the "ruleset" would be the set of grammar and spelling rules that the individual has learned are proper. See a rule being broken, it's frustrating and uncomfortable-
Must. Fix. Broken. Rule... Universe. Not. In. Order.

Apply idea to any individual special interests in a conversation. Apply to a situation where people want to play a board game you have played your entire life- but they are suddenly lax on the rules.

For my part, it is not about control. It's not about being rude. It's not about being "smarter", "better" or even about "being right".

For me, when it's rooted in ASD stuff, it's this tic in my mind that counts on rules. Rules aren't followed? What good are they? Rules help me figure out what to do!
So my brain needs to compensate-
  • There is no apostrophe in that.
  • Excuse me, the line starts here. No, here.
  • That's actually not... technically correct.
  • No that's not what really happens during a seizure.
  • No, lady, putting all the people with hemorrhagic fever into a dome is not the best way to deal with it.
  • That's not what I said. No, it's not. ARGH. [no it's really not]
...all common things I will say, all with a kind of ambiguity because it's more that I need to correct the situation not really the person.

That's not me trying to be right, smart, or better.
That's me trying to fix the rules in the universe that are not being followed. It often has little to do with who said it, where I read it, anything like that.

Unfortunately, so frequently correction is taken immediately as insult. I am often confused by this. I can't speak for anyone else but I don't see why that is. People correct each other about everything all the time.

This is all just my experience as I think it could possibly be similar to the OPs, but not sure if we are talking about similar thought/motivation maybe just applied to various situations.

Hard to say.

I correct my husband's grammar constantly. He hates it! I am able to bite my tongue sometimes (figuratively speaking), but it's painful to do so (figuratively AND literally [emoji13]).
I used to assume this tendency was because my grandfather was a speech professor and was a stickler for proper use of the English language. Now, it seems, my tendency might be at least partially due to my Aspergers.

Oh, and is aspie a word? I have asperger's syndrome? Wait, not since they changed the DSM V. I am on the autism spectrum!
'Syndrome' signifies what is 'wrong' from an NT perspective.
Many aspies would say there is nothing 'wrong' with us, we're just different. 'Aspie' is seen as an informal friendly and positive self identification by many. So yes, 'aspie' is a word coined by aspies themselves, but derived from the name of the 'syndrome'. Does that make it wrong?
Also, Aspergers is still a useful term to distinguish from classic autism (and not everyone here lives in the USA).

Last edited:
FWIW, language only works when there is a common understanding of the meaning of the words and the syntax. Languages do change over time, but without some common agreement, the language will fail.

SignOfLazarus said it's like a tic in the mind that counts on rules.. that's how it feels for me, that would explain why I have to correct punctuation and spelling in posts of mine I come across from months ago! I try to resist.. but it's not worth the fight and the unscratched mental itch that'll bug me for hours or days.
I used to correct peoples' pronunciation or use of words, but forced myself to stop years ago when I realised it was annoying. Now I find I either enjoy the way people compose sentences and speak in their own way or am fascinated (I purposely choose not to be irritated) by pronunciation, or those repetitive padding phrases that are used so much.. "Ya know?", "Like", "Erm"..

Growing up I was acutely aware of 'correct English' as it was drummed into me both at school, and at home, however, this changed the moment I started travelling.

At first it was local dialects, in a country as small as the UK it is amazing just how many we have. For example, ten miles down from where I currently reside is the 'Black Country', named so after the smoking chimney stacks of the industrial revolution. The locals are referred to as 'Yammas', based upon the pronunciation of 'You are' as 'Yam'.

Then began my travels outside of my country, it seemed that English was both spoken and written in a curious fashion. Over time, this cured me of my obsession with grammar, and the age of textspeak has caused me to give up altogether.

It's nice to hold on to ideals and I have them in my own life. I just choose to not enforce them in someone else's world.

How about this, I have trouble in social interactions which is one of the main components of asperger's syndrome. If I were to meet any of you I would more than likly have some trouble forming words due to being nervous.

Based upon this entire post I would not want to meet at least 75%of you now due to the possible event that I proverb couldn't speaking without being corrected.

I would just leave.

How about this, I have trouble in social interactions which is one of the main components of asperger's syndrome. If I were to meet any of you I would more than likly have some trouble forming words due to being nervous.

Based upon this entire post I would not want to meet at least 75%of you now due to the possible event that I proverb couldn't speaking without being corrected.

I would just leave.

I have the same issue when nervous or in new company, so have to agree that I would (and have) turn around and leave.

New Threads

Top Bottom