• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this a "me" thing, or an ASD thing?

Have anybody had to learn to be comfortable in their own body? I had to learn to be comfortable with being uncomfortable :) My body felt like an uncomfortable suit that I had to wear. Being uncomfortable eventually became normal to me, even periodically, I would visit doctors because of constant tiredness, aches and pains here and there, but then I just had to admit to myself: that was my normal. I accept it now and kinda enjoy being uncomfortable :) because I don't think there can be another way or another feeling...

"constant tiredness, aches and pains here and there"

Maybe some thoughts and some general 'folk' medicine?

Most of us are really not happy with our bodies. All of us, not just Aspies. We want to be taller or shorter, slimmer, sexier or better muscled. We see others do things we can only envy but do not know what they envy about us or at least the others around them. I think of my body as being a lot like having an old car: some rust and a lot of rattles, needs a lot of maintenance and repair, looks bad, but it gets me there and a new car or body is not a practical thing.

Constant tiredness? Are you really getting enough sleep? Beyond sleep, young women need a lot of iron, are usually anemic. Young women tend to eat very poor diets (diet is everything you stuff in that hole in your face!!!). Iron can be had from a lot of veggies in your diet or multi-vitamin pills.

Take some calcium with Vitamin D and some other necessary minerals: Time out in the sun will do for the vitamin D; proper diet for the rest including milk-- if you are lactose intolerant, there are other foods that can provide calcium. Google Search it some. Last ditch: a calcium tablet with included vitamin D and some other associated minerals. Calcium tablets are a backup or "insurance" item. Some research will explain about most of us, especially women, need more calcium but in a form and with other things to make it useful.

You might try a cheap little bottle of vitamin B-100 (this is a collection of 'B' vitamins at a nominal strength of 100 units of each) from the grocery store pharmacy area shelves. Most of those things for sale as vitamins/food supplements are useless or undesirable or serve a purpose only for specific problems and then not very well. Excess 'B' vitamins will wash out of you very quickly. The Vitamin B-100 is iffy but might help. Some of those 'B' vitamins help your heart and circulation, one makes your blood taste bad to mosquitoes, the collection can help with depression.

The 'D' vitamin can build up in your body. What you get from a calcium tablet and enriched foods will not usually be any problem but be careful about any pills that are pure 'D' vitamin.

A 'C' vitamin might help if there is a problem or need. Mostly this is needed for older folk. Might not hurt to take in the fall and mid-winter cold and flu season.

"Vinegar Therapy" is quite popular around the world. In the United States it is Apple Cider Vinegar. Japan likes specific rice wine vinegars. Google it for fun? Fresh lemon juice is probably best but lemons can be expensive? The juice of a whole lemon every day or a couple of tablespoons of vinegar each day. Citric acid is good for you in small quantities. It is not an instant fixer, but can help over a significant length of time. My daily vinegar regimen is a shot glass brim full of apple cider vinegar diluted in a full glass of water. Try to keep it off your teeth: the acid is very hard on your tooth enamel. After, rinse with and swallow some more water to help get the vinegar taste and acid out of your mouth. That amount of vinegar is all I can stand. Much less should be fine. Or take it in smaller amounts several times a day? That shot-glass of vinegar if taken straight will knock you back as intensely as any straight shot of Rot-Gut whiskey!!

An infomercial (on the car radio) that was selling high-dollar vitamins said that the Vitamin D (see above) and Fish Oil (Omega-3) was a good combo. You might try some Fish Oil but be careful what you pay and what you are buying. The best I have found is a grocery store brand that has 1200 mg of Omega-3 per tablet and is the cheapest brand on the shelf. Note that I take the stuff because my Doctor insists (3 capsules every day-- Gag!!): for my very high cholesterol. It after-tastes bad for hours. Best to take it when hungry with a little water and about 10 to 15 minutes before a meal. Usually that helps reduce the aftertaste.

I take a Beta Carotene tablet every day and I think it helps my vision. But then, I am almost as old as Time. Macular Degeneration is a consideration for me.

If you try any of these vitamins/food supplements, note that price and other sales/marketing noise is irrelevant and just a gimmick. Look at several stores for the least expensive with all the ingredients in the pills. Try them for one bottle or one month; see what you think. Drop out for a month, then try them again for a month. Then, if you think you are benefiting, continue. Otherwise, stop wasting money.

Hello, I was wondering if aspies like finding things. Whenever I lose something (if it isn't valuable) I usually don't stress so much as I like the process of finding things. I also keep up with the news. After the Boston explosions I was compulsively checking the news. Who were the suspects, where were they from, why did they do this? I also get this way with weather. If there is a tornado watch I usually don't sleep. I find storms interesting but they stress me out..

Hello, I was wondering if aspies like finding things. Whenever I lose something (if it isn't valuable) I usually don't stress so much as I like the process of finding things. I also keep up with the news. After the Boston explosions I was compulsively checking the news. Who were the suspects, where were they from, why did they do this? I also get this way with weather. If there is a tornado watch I usually don't sleep. I find storms interesting but they stress me out..

Well, last week I lost a pendrive (I only own two) and it didn't bother me, considering I'm a person who uses it very often. One thing I learned is that whenever I lose something, it's not worthy to search for it in dispair. Instead I most successfully find them thinking about what I was doing at that time and where would I put it while distracted. But that may happen because I don't give so much value to material things and I always try not to have unecessary things to avoid complexity in my life :)

Does anyone else become occasionally super aware of their own body? Like if you're going to take a picture, you realize 'hey! I have arms, and they're hanging off the sides of my body, and what the hell do I do with these things? And I have hands...with lots of fingers and where the hell do I put these things??'

Does anyone else become occasionally super aware of their own body? Like if you're going to take a picture, you realize 'hey! I have arms, and they're hanging off the sides of my body, and what the hell do I do with these things? And I have hands...with lots of fingers and where the hell do I put these things??'

It happens to me too (maybe most of us?), but anyway I don't use to take pictures that shows my whole body... heheh! I'm very reluctant to let others to take pictures of me.

Reminds me of how I used to go through periods of becoming super aware of specific body parts. I remember the noses thing very clearly. "What are those things on everybody's faces? Recently I've felt similarly about ears,though not as intensely and constantly.

Sometimes, especially in conversation or when I'm left by myself in a social situation (party, strangers house, etc) Usually it's a whole body awareness when I'm by myself at a party or whatever, I'll start wandering around, trying to find somewhere to "put" myself I guess is what I try to do.

If anything, I feel that I sometimes become almost completely unaware of my body. This usually happens if I'm very comfortable (in bed, on the couch), spacing out, or not looking at my body. If I couldn't see I'd feel like I wasn't there at all. Anybody else ever experience this phenomenon?

"constant tiredness, aches and pains here and there"

Maybe some thoughts and some general 'folk' medicine?

Most of us are really not happy with our bodies. All of us, not just Aspies. We want to be taller or shorter, slimmer, sexier or better muscled. We see others do things we can only envy but do not know what they envy about us or at least the others around them. I think of my body as being a lot like having an old car: some rust and a lot of rattles, needs a lot of maintenance and repair, looks bad, but it gets me there and a new car or body is not a practical thing.

Constant tiredness? Are you really getting enough sleep? Beyond sleep, young women need a lot of iron, are usually anemic. Young women tend to eat very poor diets (diet is everything you stuff in that hole in your face!!!). Iron can be had from a lot of veggies in your diet or multi-vitamin pills.

Take some calcium with Vitamin D and some other necessary minerals: Time out in the sun will do for the vitamin D; proper diet for the rest including milk-- if you are lactose intolerant, there are other foods that can provide calcium. Google Search it some. Last ditch: a calcium tablet with included vitamin D and some other associated minerals. Calcium tablets are a backup or "insurance" item. Some research will explain about most of us, especially women, need more calcium but in a form and with other things to make it useful.

You might try a cheap little bottle of vitamin B-100 (this is a collection of 'B' vitamins at a nominal strength of 100 units of each) from the grocery store pharmacy area shelves. Most of those things for sale as vitamins/food supplements are useless or undesirable or serve a purpose only for specific problems and then not very well. Excess 'B' vitamins will wash out of you very quickly. The Vitamin B-100 is iffy but might help. Some of those 'B' vitamins help your heart and circulation, one makes your blood taste bad to mosquitoes, the collection can help with depression.

The 'D' vitamin can build up in your body. What you get from a calcium tablet and enriched foods will not usually be any problem but be careful about any pills that are pure 'D' vitamin.

A 'C' vitamin might help if there is a problem or need. Mostly this is needed for older folk. Might not hurt to take in the fall and mid-winter cold and flu season.

"Vinegar Therapy" is quite popular around the world. In the United States it is Apple Cider Vinegar. Japan likes specific rice wine vinegars. Google it for fun? Fresh lemon juice is probably best but lemons can be expensive? The juice of a whole lemon every day or a couple of tablespoons of vinegar each day. Citric acid is good for you in small quantities. It is not an instant fixer, but can help over a significant length of time. My daily vinegar regimen is a shot glass brim full of apple cider vinegar diluted in a full glass of water. Try to keep it off your teeth: the acid is very hard on your tooth enamel. After, rinse with and swallow some more water to help get the vinegar taste and acid out of your mouth. That amount of vinegar is all I can stand. Much less should be fine. Or take it in smaller amounts several times a day? That shot-glass of vinegar if taken straight will knock you back as intensely as any straight shot of Rot-Gut whiskey!!

An infomercial (on the car radio) that was selling high-dollar vitamins said that the Vitamin D (see above) and Fish Oil (Omega-3) was a good combo. You might try some Fish Oil but be careful what you pay and what you are buying. The best I have found is a grocery store brand that has 1200 mg of Omega-3 per tablet and is the cheapest brand on the shelf. Note that I take the stuff because my Doctor insists (3 capsules every day-- Gag!!): for my very high cholesterol. It after-tastes bad for hours. Best to take it when hungry with a little water and about 10 to 15 minutes before a meal. Usually that helps reduce the aftertaste.

I take a Beta Carotene tablet every day and I think it helps my vision. But then, I am almost as old as Time. Macular Degeneration is a consideration for me.

If you try any of these vitamins/food supplements, note that price and other sales/marketing noise is irrelevant and just a gimmick. Look at several stores for the least expensive with all the ingredients in the pills. Try them for one bottle or one month; see what you think. Drop out for a month, then try them again for a month. Then, if you think you are benefiting, continue. Otherwise, stop wasting money.

Thanks for all the suggestions :) I was feeling that way since I was a baby. I tried all kinds of things, diagnosed with some disorders that might or might not exist :) took all kinds of medications. I don't really care anymore :) I'm quite sure I was born with it :) I will only start worry about it if I start fainting again, or won't be able to stay awake at all :) which I don't think it going to happen.

As for the body, I do agree a lot of people have issues with the way they look. For me having body at all has felt weird... Not sure how to explain it. I guess, I feel this way because I've always been so aware of having a body. It's like, if you have pain you are aware of the part that hurts :) I have a few theories why I'm feeling this way besides the spiritual one (that would be more appropriate for another thread)
It could be genetic predisposition or something I developed after birth trauma. I know that general healthy life style can make me feel better... Or more normal? :) but it's not a panacea. And then again, I'm fine :) it's just the way it is.

Sometimes, especially in conversation or when I'm left by myself in a social situation (party, strangers house, etc) Usually it's a whole body awareness when I'm by myself at a party or whatever, I'll start wandering around, trying to find somewhere to "put" myself I guess is what I try to do.

If anything, I feel that I sometimes become almost completely unaware of my body. This usually happens if I'm very comfortable (in bed, on the couch), spacing out, or not looking at my body. If I couldn't see I'd feel like I wasn't there at all. Anybody else ever experience this phenomenon?
Sound similar to the way I feel sometimes. As for not being aware... I don't know... Maybe when I was in a deep trance state :)

I thought I was crazy when I think this. Yes! Sometimes I feel like a person in a first person video game and I'm watching my arms perform tasks and sometimes it makes me depressed. I get depersonalization/derealization.

I thought I was crazy when I think this. Yes! Sometimes I feel like a person in a first person video game and I'm watching my arms perform tasks and sometimes it makes me depressed. I get depersonalization/derealization.

Liked but then unliked because I don't want you to think I'm liking your depression. I like the comparison to a video game, I can relate.

I've been wondering this one since I self diagnosed myself with AS: I tend to do voices, like imitations of people or random singing all the time at home. Like all of a sudden I feel like saying something from a movie or radio or something I've heard whether or not it pertains to a situation. It usually can have some tie in to what is going on but not always. I usually really can't help myself and it drives my girlfriend nuts. She knows a lot of the time what triggers some of the things I say so she tells me in advance not to say it and I usually won't, but sometimes it feels difficult haha. I remember seeing the show The Office and Andy is trying not to finish a sentence he started and he says it feels like holding in a sneeze, thats kind of the feeling I have.

Its very strange and typing it I don't even feel like I really do it but then in the situations I know I do. I can hold back from it at work or in public but I may think it. I guess I'm not comfortable enough to let loose outside the house or something. Does anyone else do this or is this just a me thing?

"tend to do voices, like imitations of people or random singing ---- saying something from a movie or radio -----"

My version is to inject a line from a song or movie script or something from a book into a conversation because the line I am quoting pops into my mind and seems to either make the point or support what I am saying. I usually also know where it came from and tell that as part of using the quoted line or reference from a book.

I cannot pull this stuff out of the air on purpose. When it appears in my mind in a conversation, it is just 'there.' And: I do not sing if there is any possibility of anyone hearing. I have been assured that my singing voice is beyond terrible. :)

"tend to do voices, like imitations of people or random singing ---- saying something from a movie or radio -----"

My version is to inject a line from a song or movie script or something from a book into a conversation because the line I am quoting pops into my mind and seems to either make the point or support what I am saying. I usually also know where it came from and tell that as part of using the quoted line or reference from a book.

I cannot pull this stuff out of the air on purpose. When it appears in my mind in a conversation, it is just 'there.' And: I do not sing if there is any possibility of anyone hearing. I have been assured that my singing voice is beyond terrible. :)

Haha yea I have a not so great singing voice myself. I usually kind of play sing, like use a different voice to do it but its still awful.

I feel like this is probably a "me" thing, because I've never met anybody else who has this problem: Is there anybody else who can't make out lyrics to songs? I can hear them singing, but I can't understand what words they say. They sing the lyrics quickly and it's masked by instruments and music, and I can rarely make out more than a few words in a song. I don't know how people can do it.

I feel like this is probably a "me" thing, because I've never met anybody else who has this problem: Is there anybody else who can't make out lyrics to songs? I can hear them singing, but I can't understand what words they say. They sing the lyrics quickly and it's masked by instruments and music, and I can rarely make out more than a few words in a song. I don't know how people can do it.

Me too! To me, lyrics are just another "sound" that is part of the music. It takes me a long time to be familiar enough with the song to recognize what they are saying. It has been years, but I still only know a few of the words to a lot of the music I grew up with.

Oh my god, yes! That happens all the time! It's frustrating when you really LOVE a song, and cannot look up the lyrics because you didn't hear any of them! Once, I went months and months of constantly hearing this one song played at work that I LOVED and just couldn't get the lyrics to look it up. Finally, I was in the stock room and just under a speaker and caught about a sentence. I immediately wrote it on my hand and got it! In fact, I think I'm gonna go listen to it now!

I once read that people on the spectrum tend to spend much time getting lost in their thoughts?I do?and I'm wondering: Does anyone else here spend much time meditating which makes some people think you're doing nothing?

I'm very often lost in my thoughts and have often had to put up with some people criticizing me for "just sitting there doing nothing" when I "could be doing something productive" and it's always annoyed me to no end. Meditating isn't "doing nothing."

There have been times where people have told me I should be productive when there wasn't even work to be done. Why should one be productive for the sake of being productive? Is spending time thinking about things a taboo thing to many people? I don't get it . . .

I'm the same. But, really, I'm bad when it comes to making out any kind of speech?especially when someone has an accent.

New Threads

Top Bottom