• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this a "me" thing, or an ASD thing?

I once read that people on the spectrum tend to spend much time getting lost in their thoughts—I do—and I'm wondering: Does anyone else here spend much time meditating which makes some people think you're doing nothing?

I'm very often lost in my thoughts and have often had to put up with some people criticizing me for "just sitting there doing nothing" when I "could be doing something productive" and it's always annoyed me to no end. Meditating isn't "doing nothing."

There have been times where people have told me I should be productive when there wasn't even work to be done. Why should one be productive for the sake of being productive? Is spending time thinking about things a taboo thing to many people? I don't get it . . .

I wouldn't go as far as "meditiating" even... just relaxing, even if it means you're playing a game, reading a book, or watching a movie... it's always being perceived as being "non-productive". If I'm not doing anything productive it doesn't mean that I'm doing nothing as in "mentally flatlined".

The concept of doing something just for the sake of doing something is incomprehensible to me as well.

The concept of doing something just for the sake of doing something is incomprehensible to me as well.

The NT's call it "Busy Work." I have always thought it was stupid, useless and incomprehensible that all the NT's insist on it. Most of what they call "productive" is actually worthless or even counter-productive. But don't try to tell them that!!

Some of my quirks, hmmm...
Whenever I take in New information my left eyebrow raises instinctualy:)
I talk to myself whenever I am upset, frustrated, never when I am sad though...
When I am happy I listen to music and dance in a closed bedroom by myself...if someone walks in on me I stop in embarrassment.
The sound of other people chewing drives me bonkers.
I apologize twenty times a day....just because it feels better.

Several times a day I get the urge to get up and run across the room, and it's not a voluntary action, My brain seem to disengage from my body and senses and I'm not even aware of myself doing it until I find myself at the other side of the room. I sometimes hit the far wall. I sometimes start flapping my hands too until I sudddenly become aware that I'm doing it. I've done this since childhood. I do it more when I'm excited. Do others do this? Does anyone know what it is, is it some kind of stim?

Some of my quirks, hmmm...
Whenever I take in New information my left eyebrow raises instinctualy:)
I talk to myself whenever I am upset, frustrated, never when I am sad though...
When I am happy I listen to music and dance in a closed bedroom by myself...if someone walks in on me I stop in embarrassment.
The sound of other people chewing drives me bonkers.
I apologize twenty times a day....just because it feels better.
I do the first and last one too!!! I wasn't sure if this was an aspie thing or just something I did...

I cannot stand it when someone else hears what music I'm listening to. I wear headphones, but even then, someone often feels the need to come interfere with me & ask, 'HEYYY!!! I SEE YOU'RE LISTENING TO MUSIC: WHAT SONG?' (It's called Get Lost & Leave Me Alone by Go Away...) I sometimes even sneak listen to avoid detection & aggravating inquiries. When listening to music, I often zone out for a bit, to shut the world off & shut myself off too. The interference aggravates me & makes me jump.

I do the first and last one too!!! I wasn't sure if this was an aspie thing or just something I did...

I don't know if It is an asperger thing or not either, but it is cool to know someone else has an eyebrow thing:) sweet.
What would be really cool is if we got together and studied something and we're like uh huh I see and raise eyebrows together.:)

I don't know if It is an asperger thing or not either, but it is cool to know someone else has an eyebrow thing:) sweet.
I'm actually the most expressive with my eyebrows like for example when Someone smiles at me I always raise my eyebrows in response instead of actually going for the smile ...

What would be really cool is if we got together and studied something and we're like uh huh I see and raise eyebrows together.:)
I'm sure we could freak a few people out with our simultaneous eye brow raising... Weird how it's the left one for both of us

I cannot stand it when someone else hears what music I'm listening to. I wear headphones, but even then, someone often feels the need to come interfere with me & ask, 'HEYYY!!! I SEE YOU'RE LISTENING TO MUSIC: WHAT SONG?' (It's called Get Lost & Leave Me Alone by Go Away...) I sometimes even sneak listen to avoid detection & aggravating inquiries. When listening to music, I often zone out for a bit, to shut the world off & shut myself off too. The interference aggravates me & makes me jump.

I have those moments too. I use music to shut the world out and calm down when very anxious.
People drive me nuts with that, they also do that when you are reading a book. I gave up reading in public, because as soon as I sit down with a book, it's "hey, what yah readin?" And I tell them and then they are like, "so what is it about?" And all I want to say is," I don't know cuz you won't let me read it!" Lol.

Is anyone else absolutely terrible at cutting food? When I see a food I have to cut, I sink in despair. Seriously, it is EXHAUSTING for me to have to cut any sort of meat. If it was considered acceptable, I would just eat steak whole. Is anyone else awful at this?

Is anyone else absolutely terrible at cutting food? When I see a food I have to cut, I sink in despair. Seriously, it is EXHAUSTING for me to have to cut any sort of meat. If it was considered acceptable, I would just eat steak whole. Is anyone else awful at this?
I hate cutting chicken tenderloins. Because there is that little white thing at the top that is nasty to chew on by an person's standard and it is next to impossible to cut it out without destroying the tenderloin in the process. If there's some little trick to it, I don't know it.

I'm not too fond of cutting pork chops either. If they've been boiled so they're nice, tender, and juicy, I can. Oh, and steaks! Some steaks are so blasted tough, I end up making it seem like an earthquake is passing through because I shake the table so much sawing on it. You should have seen this one poor piece of steak I got at a restaurant, it had multiple lacerations and it was covered in toothmarks from me trying to break it down. Nobody ate the steak served that day, it was way too tough! I fought valiantly, and lost bitterly. :yum:

New Threads

Top Bottom