• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this a "me" thing, or an ASD thing?

Anyone else find it difficult to clean their space? At work I have different standards of cleanliness and while it sometimes get messy, I can usually keep things in order, but at home it's a disaster. Maybe less than once a year, I'll give 30 straight hours to a full project that rearranges everything and discards maybe 50% of the junk.

Anyone else find it difficult to clean their space? At work I have different standards of cleanliness and while it sometimes get messy, I can usually keep things in order, but at home it's a disaster. Maybe less than once a year, I'll give 30 straight hours to a full project that rearranges everything and discards maybe 50% of the junk.

Neat is overrated. I'm always a disaster. Can't be bothered cleaning most of the time.

Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

What I didn't say is what I do with the other 50%. Anything that wasn't a discovery or some lost treasure unearthed from years worth of sediment (laundry, pocket detritus, mail etc) goes into a box that I label to myself with the I'll go through this later tag and then that gets stored. I imagine someone would discover a crap-ton about me by going through these time capsules of crap I couldn't be bothered to deal with from specific times in my life. I just looked through a box from 10 years ago and had a meltdown.

This has been interesting thread to read though we can't state something to be an aspie thing unless convinced NTs won't do these.
I also share many of these traits you're talking about.

But tell me that I am not alone doing this. It's not fighting fist, but something I have always done while in own thoughts.
P3290061_zps273b541d.jpg

This has been interesting thread to read though we can't state something to be an aspie thing unless convinced NTs won't do these.
I also share many of these traits you're talking about.

But tell me that I am not alone doing this. It's not fighting fist, but something I have always done while in own thoughts.
View attachment 4756

Very similar! I do this a lot: Photo on 3-28-13 at 10.00 PM.jpg

I seem to struggle to throw things away. Although I keep my room tidy, my cupboards are packed full of random things I collect (like packagings for gadgets in case I need to read them or use the instructions and random toys/weird objects) that I only keep for future reference or because I think I may need them in the future. Does anyone else do this?

"I seem to struggle to throw things away. Although I keep my room tidy, my cupboards are packed full of random things I collect"

Many people are packrats. That is a normal or mainstream human trait.

Many people are packrats. That is a normal or mainstream human trait.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that's a very nice word for them. My mum hates not throwing stuff away.

"I don't think that's a very nice word for them."

Apology if the term "Packrat" offends in any way. It is the term or word applied by most of the people I have know in my world. It is intended as 'cute' and descriptive.

I know that a lot of aspies have problems with certain noises and textures, but I don't know where else to put this. I almost lost it today at college. I have honestly never come so close to physically freaking out. I thought I was going to have to remove myself from the room. My art teacher took the ruler from my desk to use as an example for rubbing graphite to the other side of the paper for making a mandala. She scraped the bottom end of the ruler on the paper on my desk... like inches from my face D:<. I instantly felt my face get hot and I got nervous and started squirming in my seat. Not only did she do it once, but THREE times! D: She had to cover the entire paper-width/height of a circle and I honestly was scared that I was going to make a scene. The noise was bothering me SO much D:

Has anyone had a similar experience where they found it REALLY hard to control yourself in response to a noise/texture? Have you actually ever... attacked someone? I haven't attacked anyone over it, but I came SO close to losing it that now that I look back I'm surprised I didn't...

I am horrible at learning people's names, and even when I do learn them, I am extremely uncomfortable using them. I *never* greet people by name, and when I have to use someone's name to get their attention, it is unpleasant.

I don't either, and the only time I use a name is to get their attention. It doesn't make me uncomfortable using it in that way, but using somebody's name otherwise makes me feel weird.

I posted this in another thread but the more I think about it the more I think it might be a me thing; I have a lot of problems with people coming into my "space" unannounced or uninvited. For example, the room across the hall has been made my art studio, and I go in there to draw/paint/write/do my own thing. My land lady will knock and I'll answer the door for her, but my boyfriend comes in unannounced, and it annoys the living bejeezy out of me!!! And as a kid I used to yell at anyone who would open my bedroom door without me telling them it's OK (since when did "Who is it?" also mean "Come in!"?). It makes me angry and uncomfortable when people do that, am I alone here?

What I didn't say is what I do with the other 50%. Anything that wasn't a discovery or some lost treasure unearthed from years worth of sediment (laundry, pocket detritus, mail etc) goes into a box that I label to myself with the I'll go through this later tag and then that gets stored. I imagine someone would discover a crap-ton about me by going through these time capsules of crap I couldn't be bothered to deal with from specific times in my life. I just looked through a box from 10 years ago and had a meltdown.
This is me!!!!! I do this. Only I label the boxes with the word KEEP which means to me that I haven't yet felt the need to get the items sorted but I don't want to toss them. The items that do get sorted and stored get a label on them that reflects what it is that is in the box. But every time I move houses I go through all the boxes and just laugh at all the random junk I thought I ought to keep. I fill up a whole trash bin at least every time I move because I finally toss all the junk in those boxes I labeled KEEP.

I've been trying to figure out if this would be some medical condition, like "you just need more magnesium", with easy explanation. But.
My spine area near neck and between scapulae tends to tickle inside. It doesn't cause shivers, but I feel that if I quiver enough, It'll go away. It might not, at least not for long period of time. There's nothing touching my upper back. I've also been thinking if this is just an unwanted stimuli in scalp caused my hair, which's pretty heavy. But it really isn't skin issue but much deeper in body. It also doesn't seem to alter during the day and whether I'm tired or not. Sorry if this is illegible :>

Last edited:
This thread is, IMHO, probably my the best.

I am horrible at learning people's names, and even when I do learn them, I am extremely uncomfortable using them. I *never* greet people by name, and when I have to use someone's name to get their attention, it is unpleasant.

I have totally noticed this - my whole life. I am awful with names, no method helps.

However, I simply NEVER forget a face. No name - but the face. When I am out and about I will see a face and know that I have interacted with that person before. I generally also remember whether it was a good or bad interaction. So I'll say something to the effect of "I know that person and it's BAD (or Good)".

I will usually then spend a great deal of energy trying to remember exactly how I know that person and why I had that impression. 99% of the time, when I can remember, the impression is accurate. Anyone else?

ALSO (as a side note (and my edit)):
I've been trying to figure out if this would be some medical condition, like "you just need more magnesium", with easy explanation. But.
My spine area near neck and between scapulae tends to tickle inside. It doesn't cause shivers, but I feel that if I quiver enough, It'll go away. It might not, at least not for long period of time. There's nothing touching my upper back. I've also been thinking if this is just an unwanted stimuli in scalp caused my hair, which's pretty heavy. But it really isn't skin issue but much deeper in body. It also doesn't seem to alter during the day and whether I'm tired or not. Sorry if this is illegible :>

Aalo: I'd probably mention it at the doctors office the next time you are there but it does not seem that big of a deal if you have had it a while. We (as you know) have our sensory issues and this could just be one of those. I'd immediately check with a doctor if it changes however.

Last edited:
Whoopsy daisy. After I posted the above ^^^ I was reading thought the earlier posts (it's a long thread) and saw this :

In High School, mostly it was a waste of time for me to be in a classroom listening to the teacher. In math, I had to find out how to do the problems from the explanations in the book. If the book did not explain, I never 'got' the material. Same in most other classes. Only if there was a place I could read it. My own 'saving grace' was that I learned to read very early and read sci-fi long before sci-fi was accepted.

So I guess it was already mentioned a bit - sorry if it's been covered.

Last edited:
Thanks Dusty285 and rhubarbo! I might mention it.

To be honest during my life I've had so many small issues, that I'm mostly gave up trying to describe them to doctors and that's also why I was wondering if somewhat strong sensations are common amongst us as many other is really body aware too. Maybe it doesn't have to be a similar feeling. That's something my parents were angry for me when I was a kid, "Yet again you're making something up, stop you're fine!". Familiar?

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom