• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is apergers/ autism a glamerised condition.

My mom tells me a lot "everybody has problems", or you are not the only person that's ever ever felt that way. I'm like how does this help. like if I got shot in the arm and you say something like, you are not the only one who has ever been shot. It doesn't make the pain any less. smh

The thinking that minimizing a child's problems, while expecting sympathy for yours, will make a child stronger, is a load of malarkey. I believe it has lessened my empathy more than the ASD.

Like a lot of things there is a spectrum. :D From the mother who doesn't want their child to feel bad for being different, to the sperglord who thinks they are the next step in evolution.o_O
Agreed. People are so confusing.

Like the masses and masses of people claiming bullying in school will only make kids stronger! We need the bullies so everybody doesn't grow up to be pansies!

This drives me up the wall of course I can't argue with these people since they're probably the same ones that were the bullies still are the bullies. I was picked on and bullied all through school and it only resulted in me not being able to deal with being around anyone, never being able to get a real job or have a decent relationship with anyone and not ever be able to make or maintain any real friends ships but they still can only see bullying as a good and helpful stepping stone to childhood development.

God. The education system annoys me just think how many peoples live could of been better if the bullying had been stopped.

It is the standard response to things that people don't fully understand. (Look at the traits, and pick a few that sound similar to you until it seems more familiar.) I used to get annoyed with it, but the more I learn about Asperger's, the more ludicrous this sounds... In the words of an NT psychotherapist friend of mine: "The more I work with Aspies, the more I realise how different their world is... We're not talking about different languages... or even different cultures. It's more like a different planet, or universe, even."

I like the visual presentation of traits, Judge - there's no arguing with that.

These belittling responses play to our vulnerabilities: Our tendency to assume that we are the ones at fault, the ones with the'deficits'. These comments accrue day to day, year after year, if we let them, and can add to the weight of our despair. We live in a fundamentally different world. We may share experiences and habits, but comments such as these are vacuous and unhelpful, and we should not let them diminish us or our experience.

Sometimes when I am particularly paranoid, I fear what is coming out of my mouth, the words that I hear, is not anywhere near what other people hear. It takes me 10-20 minutes just to type out a reply this short. Rereading over and over to stay fairly on point. A couple paragraphs can take an hour or more to type out. I have finished a reply, looked up and two to three hours have gone by.:eek:

I quit playing Runescape for 10-15 hours a day about a month ago. This has greatly expanded my "free time". I am currently trying to find something more productive to addict myself to. Like my mom used to say "it's all or nothing with you, ain't it". It wouldn't hurt for me to do some grammar study.:rolleyes: I really should learn how to type also.:oops: What were we talking about?:D

Sometimes when I am particularly paranoid, I fear what is coming out of my mouth, the words that I hear, is not anywhere near what other people hear. It takes me 10-20 minutes just to type out a reply this short. Rereading over and over to stay fairly on point. A couple paragraphs can take an hour or more to type out. I have finished a reply, looked up and two to three hours have gone by.:eek:
i am the same,except my reason is communication and language difficulties,not paranoia.

i dont think people think classic autism is glamarous, although i do know some people who identify themselves as classic autistic [or PDDNOS] when theyre actually aspie or not autistic at all,as they want to be different amongst the ASD masses,ive even known some people say they are LFA when they havent got a clue what it means,ive also known several people including someone in the autistic community quite well known insist they have intellectual disability because they simply scored low on an IQ test,and they use it like a 'badge' which annoys me as they have not gone through anything i have as a child or adult yet theyre claiming to be the same as me.

...Wait...Since when were WE glamorized?!

I assumed that Autism and Aspergers is, to many, a horrible thing that rivals cancer. Something to be cured and taken from society. Whereas psycopathy, sociopathy, and depression are the "cool" disorders.

Im a new member, and sadly i allready chose my username. If only i could change it to "Sperglord"! (Trumpet sound!!) Introducing Sperglord of Spergudia! Ruler of Asperton, and master of social awkwardness ! :rocket:

In regards to Aspies being glamorized. My thoughts are this. They say that people with ASD are good at pattern recognition. Well here is some pattern recognition for you. There is a pattern or a formula to every comic sitcom ever created in the past 20 years. i would say that about 90% of them have some character that shows traits of high functioning autism. It's always portrayed as the simple guy, that says socially confusing statements that jokes can be leveraged off of, but also has some type of savant abilities that come out also for comic relief. Yes, the aspie is a sitcom staple. He isn't always the main cast member like say Andy Kaufman in Taxi, or Sheldon n Big BAng, Abed etc etc etc... .No, instead sometimes he/she is a ancillary character , but pay attention. EVERY SINGLE COMEDIC SITCOM HAS A CHARACHTER with aspie traits to leverage certain jokes off of. I dont think it is even deliberate on the part of the writers, it is just a trope that is deeply woven into the DNA of American sitcoms. A similar argument could be made for dramas. Take House for example.

I dont think this staple charachter is ever seen as glamorous, nor is ASD accurately or respectfully represented, but take notice, it is definetly ubiquitous in EVERY sitcom.​

Ps.. that Sperglord comment was suppose to be a quote from dudbomb. Can't get my post to add quotes? How do i do that?

@Azul-Infinito

Are you serious about wanting to change your Username?
It is possible for members to request a name change.

"Username changes will only be allowed in the following cases:
You have less than 10 posts or you are a V.I.P. member."
General Rules & Guidelines

...Wait...Since when were WE glamorized?!

I assumed that Autism and Aspergers is, to many, a horrible thing that rivals cancer. Something to be cured and taken from society. Whereas psycopathy, sociopathy, and depression are the "cool" disorders.

Bipolar is the handbag dog of celebrities

Lol- Sorry, No, i didnt mean for that to be literal, and maybe i should of clarified that. :) I just thought the term "Sperglord" was pretty funny. It was suppose to have a quote from the original poster, but I couldn't figure out how to get my quote to insert?

Ps.. that Sperglord comment was suppose to be a quote from dudbomb. Can't get my post to add quotes? How do i do that?
hi azul-infinito ,does this help:
18dd1500f6.jpg

Im a new member, and sadly i allready chose my username. If only i could change it to "Sperglord"! (Trumpet sound!!) Introducing Sperglord of Spergudia! Ruler of Asperton, and master of social awkwardness ! :rocket:

In regards to Aspies being glamorized. My thoughts are this. They say that people with ASD are good at pattern recognition. Well here is some pattern recognition for you. There is a pattern or a formula to every comic sitcom ever created in the past 20 years. i would say that about 90% of them have some character that shows traits of high functioning autism. It's always portrayed as the simple guy, that says socially confusing statements that jokes can be leveraged off of, but also has some type of savant abilities that come out also for comic relief. Yes, the aspie is a sitcom staple. He isn't always the main cast member like say Andy Kaufman in Taxi, or Sheldon n Big BAng, Abed etc etc etc... .No, instead sometimes he/she is a ancillary character , but pay attention. EVERY SINGLE COMEDIC SITCOM HAS A CHARACHTER with aspie traits to leverage certain jokes off of. I dont think it is even deliberate on the part of the writers, it is just a trope that is deeply woven into the DNA of American sitcoms. A similar argument could be made for dramas. Take House for example.

I dont think this staple charachter is ever seen as glamorous, nor is ASD accurately or respectfully represented, but take notice, it is definetly ubiquitous in EVERY sitcom.​
i agree,aspergers in particular does seem overused now days in characters, even the UK hospital drama series; casualty has a character-a doctor who is definitely on the spectrum-this guy: Casualty - Dylan Keogh - BBC One he also acts like a copy of house so i dont know if their attempt was to emulate autism or house, but casualty also has a nurse at the moment with bipolar, and it did have a character nurse with schizophrenia a while ago-the actor is now back in coronation street dont know her name.
casualty always glamorises conditions depending on the flavour of the month.

i agree with fridgemagnetman about bipolar, its so glamorised now,so many celebrities saying they have it but being very functional at the same time,you rarely see them crash and have a crisis like any 'normal' person, you never see them get put into an NHS/public pyschiatric ward,that is the reality of bipolar for many.

I haven't been exposed much to what could be considered glamorization, maybe because I don't often watch movies or T.V that aren't documentaries or reality. I've been exposed to the flip side, where people use autism as an insult. I don't have that high intelligence or great memory that seems to be the stereotype. Hopefully there are autistic characters out there that vary like they do in reality.

i agree,aspergers in particular does seem overused now days in characters, even the UK hospital drama series; casualty has a character-a doctor who is definitely on the spectrum-this guy: Casualty - Dylan Keogh - BBC One he also acts like a copy of house so i dont know if their attempt was to emulate autism or house, but casualty also has a nurse at the moment with bipolar, and it did have a character nurse with schizophrenia a while ago-the actor is now back in coronation street dont know her name.
casualty always glamorises conditions depending on the flavour of the month.

i agree with fridgemagnetman about bipolar, its so glamorised now,so many celebrities saying they have it but being very functional at the same time,you rarely see them crash and have a crisis like any 'normal' person, you never see them get put into an NHS/public pyschiatric ward,that is the reality of bipolar for many.
And they always do it so stereotypically as well. It s almost lay a Caucasian man, who speaks wit a monotone voice who flaps.

And they always do it so stereotypically as well. It s almost lay a Caucasian man, who speaks wit a monotone voice who flaps.
i agree!
speaking about casualty in particular [ive watched every episode of it since the eighties i think] they have had a few autistic patient characters and guess what? your right,all of them white and very obviously autistic in a stereotypical way,even the female characters have been very obviously autistic, aparently casualty gets informed about autism for each character from the UKs national autistic society so who is to blame?
i believe we do need characters that show the severe or profound side-as some of us do exist, but please make each presentation unique for gods sake.

i remember a guy they had on it who had aspergers, he was echolalic in speech and had very violent meltdowns quite quickly in the hospital in response to change,the portrayal was actually more of classic autism than aspergers-adult aspies dont communicate in echolalia and tend to have better behavioral regulation than us [auties].

and...on casualties spin off show;holby city,there is a character with aspergers,he has a support staff and is portrayed as being quite unable to do stuff, but at the same time he has a complex IT job in the hospital,he doesnt do any behavior like flapping or echolalia though but he does have a monotone voice,the good thing is-the actor portraying him does actually have aspergers, but he isnt as monotone,and lives independantly...i think.

i agree!
speaking about casualty in particular [ive watched every episode of it since the eighties i think] they have had a few autistic patient characters and guess what? your right,all of them white and very obviously autistic in a stereotypical way,even the female characters have been very obviously autistic, aparently casualty gets informed about autism for each character from the UKs national autistic society so who is to blame?
i believe we do need characters that show the severe or profound side-as some of us do exist, but please make each presentation unique for gods sake.

i remember a guy they had on it who had aspergers, he was echolalic in speech and had very violent meltdowns quite quickly in the hospital in response to change,the portrayal was actually more of classic autism than aspergers-adult aspies dont communicate in echolalia and tend to have better behavioral regulation than us [auties].

and...on casualties spin off show;holby city,there is a character with aspergers,he has a support staff and is portrayed as being quite unable to do stuff, but at the same time he has a complex IT job in the hospital,he doesnt do any behavior like flapping or echolalia though but he does have a monotone voice,the good thing is-the actor portraying him does actually have aspergers, but he isnt as monotone,and lives independantly...i think.

Yeah at least they are getting better t portraying autistic people I just wise a wider range of the spectrum was shown pparticularly girls on the spectrum.

I was so excited to hear Sesame Streets getting an autistic female Muppet. This is going to raise so much awareness in the younger generation.

IMO it's a preposterous premise. Most often pushed by those who aren't on the spectrum and subsequently only see or consider perceived positive aspects without considering or actually knowing the daily social struggles it so often entails in both childhood and adulthood.

Hollywood because they more often than not want to exploit the subject of autism for profit. To make it appear "trendy" to push their television programming- and those of corporate sponsors. And frustrated parents who would prefer to see their kids in a better light than is usually the case. So they turn autism into some kind of status symbol.

It may also be a strategy by some to deliberately attempt to both trivialize and marginalize autism to keep it from being a reason to receive government entitlements. Though I can only speculate on that, given certain political groups who seek to dismantle the concept of a welfare state in whole or in part.

The real story? We all know it. We all live it. One that isn't quite so attractive or glamorous.

Late to the party on this thread I know but just wanted to say I wish I could hit the Like rating 1000 times for your comment. Well said.

New Threads

Top Bottom