• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is apergers/ autism a glamerised condition.

If someone thinks they have it I think they should feel comfortable announcing it.

The condition is just a starting point for understanding someone. You still need to get to know them personally to learn what particular difficulties they have.

I know someone who literally had a badge saying 'people confuse me'.

I said to someone today that I have aspergers and this person said eventually: are you diagnosed? I just could not lie and so, admitted that I was not, but oh dear, I felt such a fraud! I know also if I had said that I have social anxiety, no one would ask if I am formally diganosed and I suppose it is due to the supposed severity of it. I felt like that: as though I was a child being questioned.

I explained that since I discovered it whilst living in France ( I live in France), I cannot get a formal diagnosis because they do not recognise it here and she said: oh yes they do, because my adopted child was diagnosed with autism and I said: yes but aspergers is not autism in the sense that is known about autism and that aspergers is not considered authentic in France.
Don't get me wrong I think some people who say they think they have autism generally do have it but I do think some people say it without understanding what it means.

My mom tells me a lot "everybody has problems", or you are not the only person that's ever ever felt that way. I'm like how does this help. like if I got shot in the arm and you say something like, you are not the only one who has ever been shot. It doesn't make the pain any less. smh

The thinking that minimizing a child's problems, while expecting sympathy for yours, will make a child stronger, is a load of malarkey. I believe it has lessened my empathy more than the ASD.

Like a lot of things there is a spectrum. :D From the mother who doesn't want their child to feel bad for being different, to the sperglord who thinks they are the next step in evolution.o_O

Last edited:
The thinking that minimizing a child's problems, while expecting sympathy for yours, will make a child stronger, is a load of malarkey. I believe it has lessened my empathy more than the ASD.

Like the masses and masses of people claiming bullying in school will only make kids stronger! We need the bullies so everybody doesn't grow up to be pansies!

This drives me up the wall of course I can't argue with these people since they're probably the same ones that were the bullies still are the bullies. I was picked on and bullied all through school and it only resulted in me not being able to deal with being around anyone, never being able to get a real job or have a decent relationship with anyone and not ever be able to make or maintain any real friends ships but they still can only see bullying as a good and helpful stepping stone to childhood development.

Whats that word that can mean, doing the same thing over and over expecting different results? Oh yeah, insanity that's it.:D

Whats that word that can mean, doing the same thing over and over expecting different results? Oh yeah, insanity that's it.:D

I would prefer to do it more than ten times over just so I can be sure :)

Or.... I may be doing it wrong but at least I know what I'm doing :)

M
My mom tells me a lot "everybody has problems", or you are not the only person that's ever ever felt that way. I'm like how does this help. like if I got shot in the arm and you say something like, you are not the only one who has ever been shot. It doesn't make the pain any less. smh

Highly irritating and self centred way of thinking.

It's pure ego when people try to turn around a problem to reflect on themselves.

I do think these ways of thinking are dieing out, but over generations, not years.

Like the masses and masses of people claiming bullying in school will only make kids stronger! We need the bullies so everybody doesn't grow up to be pansies!

I think this will die out in time too, but it's taking a long time. We still have ridiculous Victorian ideals kicking around, as well as loads from the middle of last century.

Like sending people into the army teaches discipline, which young people lack.

They also lack the PTSD, high suicide rate and social problems (Aspies not included unfortunately).

I tell people about my genetic abnormality. I am proud of it. I am the only one with it right now. And while eveyrone has them, mine is coded for neurons which means (they think) it is possibly behind my sensory issues. It also probably aids my memory which, before my accident, was amazing.

This sort of thing irritates me to no end. It's bad enough that films and media can't even get it right, and even worse when people draw conclusions from them. I can't even begin to fathom the idea of anyone saying they've got so and so without repercussions, yet I know (just from lurking around on the web) that it happens anyways and everyone else accepts it and plays along with it.

So everyone wants a touch of autism now? I don't mean the watered down stuff either, I'm talking unadulterated here. Or - no, wait, maybe Asperger's? How about some dyslexia, ADHD, chromosomal defects and other goodies added in for good measure?!?! Uh huh. Let them take a stroll in my shoes or someone else's - I'm willing to bet they wouldn't last for a week.

One of the things about treating those who are different as "special" the more people that are like them, the less special they may feel.

The popular phrase 'we're all a little autistic' is what is hurting us. We have way more autism awareness and I think some people read the symptoms (or maybe some are in denial), so they made up this phrase and a lot of people latched on to it. So many people I know personally have said this to me. A buzzfeed article actually really depressed me and caused me to put off my assessment for months convinced it was all in my head. In retrospect, the article seemed like it was written by a bitter teenager ranting about how 'trendy' it is. The phrase causes someone disclosing their diagnosis to a trusted friend/family member to be easily dismissed.

Buzzfeed is a lot autistic.
Echolalia (repeating the same phrase over and over)
Problems with pronouns (saying “you” instead of “I,” for example)
Not using or rarely using common gestures (pointing or waving), and not responding to them
Inability to stay on topic when talking or answering questions
Not recognizing sarcasm or joking
Repetitive behaviors like hand-flapping, rocking, jumping, or twirling
Fixations on certain activities or objects
Specific routines or rituals (and getting upset when a routine is changed, even slightly)
Extreme sensitivity to touch, light, and sound
Not taking part in “make-believe” play or imitating others’ behaviors
Impulsiveness (acting without thinking)
Aggressive behavior, both with self and others
Short attention span

I would be interested in the statistics of "social disorders" among far leaning, alt, and fringe sociopolitical groups.

The popular phrase 'we're all a little autistic' is what is hurting us. We have way more autism awareness and I think some people read the symptoms (or maybe some are in denial), so they made up this phrase and a lot of people latched on to it.

I've had some limited success in explaining this visually. Showing someone an image of a number of blank boxes, all representing possible autistic traits and behaviors.

Then showing them how NTs might have just a few of such traits and behaviors having checked off the boxes they think apply to them. But to emphasize that having just a few of them doesn't put you on the spectrum of autism.

nt_zpslf6pyb0s.gif

Then showing the boxes checked off that someone who is likely on the spectrum:

autism_zpsuehpr0pd.gif

It gives them a little more perspective to ponder than simply claiming "everyone is a little autistic". Such rationale also helped me to come to terms with my own traits and behaviors when I was initially prone to denying many of them.

Last edited:
I've had some limited success in explaining this visually. Showing someone an image of a number of blank boxes, all representing possible autistic traits and behaviors.

Then showing them how NTs might have just a few of such traits and behaviors having checked off the boxes they think apply to them. But to emphasize that having just a few of them doesn't put you on the spectrum of autism.

nt_zpslf6pyb0s.gif

Then showing the boxes checked off that someone who is likely on the spectrum:

autism_zpsuehpr0pd.gif

It gives them a little more perspective to ponder than simply claiming "everyone is a little autistic". Such rationale also helped me to come to terms with my own traits and behaviors when I was initially prone to denying many of them.

I LOVE THIS!!! Thanks :) I also think those that use this phrase probably think of Asperger's as 'social problems' when really, it's a whole lot more than that and affects nearly every aspect of my life. So what if someone can check a few boxes that may relate to socializing...what about the rest????

Everybody has ADHD anymore, I rarely meet someone that's doesn't say they do. I can't even acknowledge them anymore. :<

If you have adhd so bad how can you follow an hour long conversation without getting lost and confused? How can you get chores done without wondering off halfway? I know I cant... if someone trys to talk to me for more than two minutes I promise I have no idea what you're saying anymore? And chores, wait I think I was doing something... -///-'

I'm sure a good half of them are making excuses for themselves for popping psychostimulantes like candy, stupid bastards are why it's impossible for me to get my medication anymore.

Everybody has ADHD anymore, I rarely meet someone that's doesn't say they do. I can't even acknowledge them anymore. :<

If you have adhd so bad how can you follow an hour long conversation without getting lost and confused? How can you get chores done without wondering off halfway? I know I cant... if someone trys to talk to me for more than two minutes I promise I have no idea what you're saying anymore? And chores, wait I think I was doing something... -///-'

I'm sure a good half of them are making excuses for themselves for popping psychostimulantes like candy, stupid bastards are why it's impossible for me to get my medication anymore.

I never thought of me having ADHD until after I read your post.:eek: I would be lucky to get through a ten minute conversation without getting lost or confused. The chores one, I've just always thought I was easily sidetracked. All my elementary report cards always had Trouble staying on task one them. Sometimes my stream of consciousness runs like a word association game.

It is the only condition where people go I think I'm a touch autistic. You would never say something like I think I have a touch of cerebral pausy. People also go on about all the celebrities with it and how it is only mild. I sometimes feel like parents want their kids to have it as an excuse to why they aren't as smart as they would like them to be. I don't know it could just be me.
I sometimes feel like it's a hip diagnosis too. It's like the ads of my childhood. I am now finding it to be hip to diagnose people with borderline personality. I think to myself If people really grasped this stuff they'd be upset that they were receiving the diagnosis. Yes I have asd, no I wouldn't change that if I could, but there is a lot of stuff that makes me wish I had a milder form.

Just my thoughts not really a response to anyone.

My official diagnosis is BPB, Major Depression, and social anxiety/phobia. Their symptoms present themselves daily. This diagnosis was from a Doctor three psychiatrists and two therapists, over the course of seven years.

Due to transportation issues I had to change psychiatrist and therapist once again. This is the first time they have pursued an ASD line of diagnosis.

To be brutally honest I am one mentally screwed up individual. From the time I was born, nature and nurture both have kicked my butt. Seems the harder I try, the worse things become. Whether or not, I'll ever be able to make it on my own, for any length of time, I don't know.

I can see it getting to be too much, too quick, and only finding one way out.

I was raised to not tell anyone anything "private". One of my fears is that because I share much information people will think I'm looking for sympathy.I'm not even looking for understanding anymore.

My parents are afraid of what others may think of me if they found out. I am afraid of what they will think if they don't. I believe that is a rational fear. Not because I care what they think, but people tend to fear what they don't understand.

New Threads

Top Bottom