• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ake

(or actually Alice, but that name was already taken on this forum). I am born in 1961 in the Netherlands, and have a late diagnosis.

I have been struggling with being different and other 'problems' of ASS for a long time and I hoped by avoiding a diagnosis I could counteract the way society treats people that they consider not to belong. For my (autistic) children this was an option, because they were raised in a family that took them as they were.

I am trying to write a book now about the experience of autism (and intelligence) in an organic or evolution-developmental way and not as an experience determined by some fundamental p-factor. We are al different, but some a little more than others. The difference is in the way we perceive the world in every way and that causes misunderstandings which occur both ways (double empathy problem), but in our WEIRD system are judged to be caused by some sort of p-factor even as this factor is never really found.

I write in Dutch, but at some point I would like to write in English too, because autistic people are not yet taken serious in the Netherlands, yet.

1706025179214.png

Goede middag,
U bent van harte welkom.

Good afternoon, You are most welcome

Since this is an english language forum it is courtesy to write so all can understand - or provide a translation

Hello and welcome, @Ake. I hope that you have a meaningful experience here on AutismForums.

Welcome. Last year I was in Morocco on a trip that had a couple of petroleum geologists on it from the Netherlands. One wants me to come over and do some cycling. It looks wonderful.

I write in Dutch, but at some point I would like to write in English too, because autistic people are not yet taken serious in the Netherlands, yet.

Welcome, @Ake! I don't do well in the spotlight so I appreciate people like you who are willing to advocate for all of us.

Hi Ake! Lovely to "meet" you!
I am an Australian Autistic parent of Autistic children. Your book project sounds fascinating! I would definitely read an English version! I would like to write books too. My youngest (of 7) just moved interstate. He is 18. So, I have officially just entered the "empty nest" stage, after 34 years of parenting, as a woman with ASD2 and ADHD combined types, so I think my story is worth telling, as well.
Please share more, if you are moved to. I, for one, am a very interested party.

(or actually Alice, but that name was already taken on this forum). I am born in 1961 in the Netherlands, and have a late diagnosis.

I have been struggling with being different and other 'problems' of ASS for a long time and I hoped by avoiding a diagnosis I could counteract the way society treats people that they consider not to belong. For my (autistic) children this was an option, because they were raised in a family that took them as they were.

I am trying to write a book now about the experience of autism (and intelligence) in an organic or evolution-developmental way and not as an experience determined by some fundamental p-factor. We are al different, but some a little more than others. The difference is in the way we perceive the world in every way and that causes misunderstandings which occur both ways (double empathy problem), but in our WEIRD system are judged to be caused by some sort of p-factor even as this factor is never really found.

Welcome to Autism Forums!

Welcome aboard! Most of the people here are mostly nice most of the time -- far better than the physical world.

Sadly, people with autism are usually not taken as seriously as "neuro-normative" people anywhere you go.

Again, welcome aboard!

Hi Ake! Lovely to "meet" you!
I am an Australian Autistic parent of Autistic children. Your book project sounds fascinating! I would definitely read an English version! I would like to write books too. My youngest (of 7) just moved interstate. He is 18. So, I have officially just entered the "empty nest" stage, after 34 years of parenting, as a woman with ASD2 and ADHD combined types, so I think my story is worth telling, as well.
Please share more, if you are moved to. I, for one, am a very interested party.

Hi Neri,

Nice to hear from someone with similar experiences (and simultanously even more different than mine) from the other side of the world. I would really like to have a way of contacting you in a more private setting, but I am not (yet) very experienced on this forum thing. I would like to try to translate my story (it's more a dialogue with the way people perceive autism than a personal narrative) in English, but then I would also need to extend the more Anglo-Sakson perspective and explain the more Dutch one.

The problem is that I have lost the energy I always had and I really need someone to keep on track. I would really like to communicate in a more direct way and hope we are able to find a way to stay in touch and maybe motivate each other to get some alternative stories about being human in all kinds of different ways into this world. Autism is something like being different differently, or something like that. And in the world of today we really need to take a different course anyway. Do you agree?

Hi Neri,

Nice to hear from someone with similar experiences (and simultanously even more different than mine) from the other side of the world. I would really like to have a way of contacting you in a more private setting, but I am not (yet) very experienced on this forum thing. I would like to try to translate my story (it's more a dialogue with the way people perceive autism than a personal narrative) in English, but then I would also need to extend the more Anglo-Sakson perspective and explain the more Dutch one.

The problem is that I have lost the energy I always had and I really need someone to keep on track. I would really like to communicate in a more direct way and hope we are able to find a way to stay in touch and maybe motivate each other to get some alternative stories about being human in all kinds of different ways into this world. Autism is something like being different differently, or something like that. And in the world of today we really need to take a different course anyway. Do you agree?
I do agree.:)

There is a private message function here on the forum, if you'd like to talk to me directly.

It's an amazing technological era we are in, where we, two souls on opposite sides of the planet, can "pen pal" in a sense, instantaneously. So if that's something you'd like to do with me, I'd certainly be open to that.

New Threads

Top Bottom