• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am Bloor

Bloor

Hi, I am Bloor.

I am 56 and was officially diagnosed with autism (actually, Asperger's) in 2017 after one meltdown too many. Although, I was "unofficially" diagnosed by the clinical psychologist who was diagnosing my son, several years before. I am an unpaid carer for my wife but used to be a software developer and test engineer. Actually, I've had 32 different jobs but those were the last ones.

My main special interest is music - pretty much anything from classical to jazz to pop to metal to hardcore punk to experimental. Love discovering new music. I'll fixate on a particular artist or genre and then collect and research like mad - currently 70s hard-rock. I have several thousand CDs and records. I started with Alice Cooper in 1972 when I was 5, got into punk in '78, metal (NWOBHM) in '80, roadied for local bands in the 80s and 90s and ran a not-for-profit mail-order punk/hardcore distro in the 2000s. I play a little guitar (Epiphone SG G-400 Pro), bass and drums but always preferred being behind the scenes.

I also love my dog (a rescued Bosnian mixed-breed), my wife and children, my noise-cancelling headphones, the wind, overcast skies, the sea, outdoor pursuits (archery, climbing, freediving, walking, camping, foraging), films (arthouse to grindhouse), personal space, photography, building things.

I hate: engine noises, supermarkets (is there anything good about them?), sticky things, jewellery (I know, weird?), the sun, blancmange, perfumes/smells, confrontation, being touched (especially my feet - even I have trouble touching them!).

Haven't frequented an autism blog for years since I made the terrible mistake of joining Wrong Planet. I hope this will be a better experience.

Welcome. This will be a better experience. Joined not long ago. Friendly group.

I freedive too. Any favorite place?

Hi Bloor. Hope you will enjoy it in here. Music is also one of my deepest interests, or I would rather call it a passion.

I haven't had the chance for a few years now due to being a carer but when I did it was Cornwall, UK. My kit is still up in the loft: a low volume beaver mask, Omer Millennium fins, homemade weight harness (bike innertubes and shotgun shot).

1705244748827.png

I thought for some minutes there you were responding to music, and I got truly lost. Hahaha.

I thought for some minutes there you were responding to music, and I got truly lost. Hahaha.
Haha. "Ow volume beaver mask, Omer Millennium fins, bike innertubes and shotgun shot" would be great band names.

Hope you can freedive agai soon

Welcome. This will be a better experience. Joined not long ago. Friendly group.

I freedive too. Any favorite place?
I haven't had the chance for a few years now due to being a carer but when I did it was Cornwall, UK. My kit is still up in the loft: a low volume beaver mask, Omer Millennium fins, homemade weight harness (bicycle innertubes and shotgun shot).

Glad to have you with us, @Bloor

It's a good bit friendlier here. But I get why you'd be hesitant. Bad experiences do make things hard, in regards to what you can trust.

I can relate to the dislike of supermarkets and stores in general. I cannot understand how anyone feels comfortable enough to window shop shelves. Just standing there staring at stuff for 5 minutes, and being a general obstruction. I avoid isles, if at all possible, full of those kinda people.

I just want to go in, shop(preferably with a list), checkout, get out.

Glad to have you with us, @Bloor

It's a good bit friendlier here. But I get why you'd be hesitant. Bad experiences do make things hard, in regards to what you can trust.

I can relate to the dislike of supermarkets and stores in general. I cannot understand how anyone feels comfortable enough to window shop shelves. Just standing there starting at stuff for 5 minutes, and being a general obstruction. I avoid isles, if at all possible, full of those kinda people.

I just want to go in, shop(preferably with a list), checkout, get out.
Same here. Headphones, shopping list, get out as soon as possible! I could go on for days about the things I hate about them. My local supermarket had a wonderful checkout assistant who knew I was autistic and would put things through the till nice and slowly, one-at-a-time, so I had the chance to pack everything correctly. Unfortunately, she's on maternity leave and no one else seems to care like she did.

Yes, I started thinking something like: That is a strange way to listen to music. How is that even possible? It was truly mysterious for a while.

Yes, I started thinking something like: That is a strange way to listen to music. How is that even possible? It was truly mysterious for a while.
Well, there is sound under water. The sound of sand being shifted by the sea is pretty nice - a soft shhhhing sound.

I also love my dog (a rescued Bosnian mixed-breed), my wife and children, my noise-cancelling headphones, the wind, overcast skies, the sea, outdoor pursuits (archery, climbing, freediving, walking, camping, foraging),

I hate: ... being touched (especially my feet - even I have trouble touching them!).
Anyone who also loves outdoor pursuits and hates being touched is ok in my book. (Well, more of a pamphlet maybe.)

New Threads

Top Bottom