• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am Bloor

Hi Bloor. I'm a late diagnosed, in my 50's (early fifties, I just turned 51, the other day) autist, myself.
I like and hate some of the stuff you like and hate too.
I just woke up, here. I'm on the east coast of Australia. Specifically, a little inland, in mountainous, and dairy country.
I found out I was autistic via my dad and second oldest son ( I have 5 sons and 2 daughters) and then my two youngest son's alerted me to ADHD, last year. I now have a diagnosis of both.
Anyway, I'm rambling on about myself.
I mainly just wanted to say ~ Welcome!

I
Hi, I am Bloor.

I am 56 and was officially diagnosed with autism (actually, Asperger's) in 2017 after one meltdown too many. Although, I was "unofficially" diagnosed by the clinical psychologist who was diagnosing my son, several years before. I am an unpaid carer for my wife but used to be a software developer and test engineer. Actually, I've had 32 different jobs but those were the last ones.

My main special interest is music - pretty much anything from classical to jazz to pop to metal to hardcore punk to experimental. Love discovering new music. I'll fixate on a particular artist or genre and then collect and research like mad - currently 70s hard-rock. I have several thousand CDs and records. I started with Alice Cooper in 1972 when I was 5, got into punk in '78, metal (NWOBHM) in '80, roadied for local bands in the 80s and 90s and ran a not-for-profit mail-order punk/hardcore distro in the 2000s. I play a little guitar (Epiphone SG G-400 Pro), bass and drums but always preferred being behind the scenes.

I also love my dog (a rescued Bosnian mixed-breed), my wife and children, my noise-cancelling headphones, the wind, overcast skies, the sea, outdoor pursuits (archery, climbing, freediving, walking, camping, foraging), films (arthouse to grindhouse), personal space, photography, building things.

I hate: engine noises, supermarkets (is there anything good about them?), sticky things, jewellery (I know, weird?), the sun, blancmange, perfumes/smells, confrontation, being touched (especially my feet - even I have trouble touching them!).

Haven't frequented an autism blog for years since I made the terrible mistake of joining Wrong Planet. I hope this will be a better experience.
I feel really weird talking about things here at 44, but I keep reminding myself, I'm the one who has nothing. I'm allowed to be vulnerable if that's what it absolutely takes to invite people to be friendly, I'm absolutely sick and even done with being strong. My health is in the trash, and I've got nobody. Should I be ashamed of myself? What about the world that ran me over left me in a ditch, so that I have to come here and beg for friendship? Do they ever take a turn at being ashamed of anything? I'm so sick of living.

i, too, find jewelry distasteful.
On me or anyone else.
When around it i have to work very hard to hide my physical revulsion if it.
i keep it at arm’s distance and try to avoid it visually.

On me or anyone else.

I can't stand the waste of money, if you mean actual jewels like diamonds and gems. Why not just hang a bundle of money on a necklace? I can appreciate simple necklaces, especially for symbolic meaning, like lockets and such. Also, sometimes people inherited stuff from someone else, so that's where its actual value is.

I can't stand the waste of money, if you mean actual jewels like diamonds and gems. Why not just hang a bundle of money on a necklace? I can appreciate simple necklaces, especially for symbolic meaning, like lockets and such. Also, sometimes people inherited stuff from someone else, so that's where its actual value is.
Also, if you dare to go search for what happens if a ring gets caught on a fixed object and then the person's inertia or weight keeps going. I'll let you work to find relevant terms, because it's beyond disgusting, it can't be unseen, and probably disfiguring and crippling. It bears mentioning, though, because it's such a horrible injury which can be caused by something totally ordinary. I never want to wear ring, having seen that, especially since my clothes get caught on random things all the time.

Hello.

Behold my ruler.

images

Surely someone, somewhere has done exactly that as a fashion statement?
I used to make and wear these but with $100 bills. Doesn't work with newer ones because president is off center now.
Dollar-Bill-Origami-Bow-Tie-Complete-3.jpg

On me or anyone else.
Mine's a physical reaction as well. I find it really hard to touch jewellery at all. I was best-man for a friend and had real trouble when it came to handling the rings. I nearly threw up! Earrings are easily the worst though. Especially dangly ones that wobble around in a distracting manner... yuck!

I also have issues with the sheer waste of money jewellery seems to be.

Mine's a physical reaction as well. I find it really hard to touch jewellery at all. I was best-man for a friend and had real trouble when it came to handling the rings. I nearly threw up! Earrings are easily the worst though. Especially dangly ones that wobble around in a distracting manner... yuck!

I also have issues with the sheer waste of money jewellery seems to be.
i’ve been asked to pick up a fallen earring and I almost want to barf at the thought. No, no, no.
It may be weird but I won’t do it.

New Threads

Top Bottom