• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to do things

When it comes to using the Internet...and tech. I can be very helpful.
I hacked an android identity and framework to use android apps on my Blackberry . I like android but I want a real keyboard. I use a Blackberry Classic phone and now well equipped with android apps
I'm versed in motorcycle repair
Most projects you would do around your home
12 volt electric
common electric in the states residential electric
plumbing
solar electric
cooking
camping / survival

The sights listed in this link should be helpful
5 Awesome Do-It-Yourself Sites
eHelpfulTips.com How To Do Things, Tips, Do it Yourself Advice from Experts
15 Massive Online Databases You Should Know About
Category:Google services - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
YouTube

Last edited:
I've used duct tape before as aguide to cut my hair. My hair was past my shoulder and I wanted to have it shoulder length so I did the folowing

-slightly dampened my hair
-combed it as flat and as evenly as possible
-cut a strip of duct tape long enough to go around my neck with some over lap
-keeping the duct tape level, I held it behind my head, with the sticky side facing the hair on the back of my neck, stuck it over my hair around the back of my neck and around to the front where the ends of the duct tape met and stuck to my throat, making sure that I didn't do it too tightly.
-using the bottom edge of the duct tape I cut along it with sharp scissors.

It wasn't as good as the hairdresser would do it but looked good enough (and use duct tape which was fun :))
I am definitely going to try that! Since I tend to try to get rid of about a half inch each time for split-end control, I may just cut above the tape. Might cut down on how much hair there is to sweep up afterward too.

Yes, a helpful hints thread is very valuable. I get stuck with things, too and it is exasperating. My first question would be "how do you ask how to do something?" I'm not kidding, I can wander around lost for a long time, hoping I will come up with a solution so I don't have to ask anyone, and it isn't because I'm afraid to look foolish, I get overwhelmed with the pressure of asking someone for help.

Google has been a godsend for me, there is a youtube video for just about everything.

When I had long hair, I often cut my own hair to rid myself of wispy, tangled ends. Here is how I did it:

1. Set a mirror on the floor, leaning against a chair. It is important that it have an angle from leaning.

2. Stand in front of the mirror, with your back to it.

3. Lean over and look at the mirror between your legs.

4. Let your hair hang loose, wet it if necessary, and comb or brush it out.

5. Cut across with scissors, letting the hair trimmings fall on floor.

6. Stand up straight and check the length and evenness. Repeat if needed.

7. Sweep up hair from floor.

I didn't see any logic in paying for a haircut if my hair was still going to be long after it was done.

Could someone tell me how to re-size the images that I copy and paste from a google image search, so that when I post them on AC their dimensions aren't so large? Sometimes I'd like an image to be a maximum of 6"/15cm by 6"/15cm, but it ends up being closer to 12"/30cm by 12"/30cm, which really bugs me.

[img width={width} height={height} ...]{url}[/img]

Width and height must be in pixels, not centimeters, the braces meant to replace that with the correct information for the image you wish to post.

[img width={width} height={height} ...]{url}[/img]

Width and height must be in pixels, not centimeters, the braces meant to replace that with the correct information for the image you wish to post.

So, taking the information you have given me, would I insert the url, like so

[img width={width} height={height} ...]Imgend | Pets and Animals Pictures | Cutest Paw

Then, insert the number of pixels, like so?

[imgwidth=100height=200]Imgend | Pets and Animals Pictures | Cutest Paw

Is there a correlation between the number of pixels and the ultimate dimensions in centimetres?

My first question would be "how do you ask how to do something?"

I often get stuck at the first step of the problem: HOW to get help. Growing up in my family we started this thing whenever someone starts a sentence, you start with "Topic: cats. Subtopic: their bowls need cleaning" and then add any more info thats needed. But for us, 'Topic' (the main keyword) followed by 'Subtopic' (a short sentence about what needs to happen to the 'Topic') is a really good way for us to get ideas across when we find ourselves tongue tied or frustrated. So when im sitting at my desk, trying to work something out or look something up, I write down the Topic, followed by the Subtopic, and that helps give me a starting point.

YouTube is great for instructions on how to do things. I have repaired our washing machine, the ice maker in the frig, the garage door opener, various auto repairs and many other things with instructions on YouTube. I could figure that stuff out, but watching a video saves a lot of time. I even found out how to program the lawn sprinklers with a YouTube video.

— Short Term Memory
– stress from a phone call causes shutdown & memory loss

If anyone has a helpful tip on retrieving a lost memory, in this a muscle memory of a password for a computer (ipad), please post it. It is not written down anywhere, it was not made of familiar words, and there is no question written down to prompt memory of it. If I have to I will wipe the memory of the ipad, but it'd be nicer to simply get the muscles in my fingers to remember their pattern for the password.

Last edited:
— Short Term Memory

If anyone has a helpful tip on retrieving a lost memory, in this a muscle memory of a password for a computer (ipad), please post it. It is not written down anywhere, it was not made of familiar words, and there is no question written down to prompt memory of it. If I have to I will wipe the memory of the ipad, gut it'd be nicer to simply get the muscles in my fingers to remember their pattern for the password.

If anything for me, it's dogged determination. Perseverance in remembering. As aggravating as it may be, I won't let it go. I'll think about something I've forgotten until I force myself to mentally recall whatever it was that I forgot.

And I always have a focal point. Something I forgot back in 1977 and drove me nuts. It was just a brief and obscure television series, but I couldn't recall the name. "The Sixth Sense". I never forgot sense then. Whenever I forget something I really shouldn't have, this is my focal point. Not that it has anything to do with what I forgot, but only to remind myself that I can recall something when I truly put my mind to it.

Might sound a bit silly...but for me it works.

Judge thanks. - I have been thinking of it non-stop except for when asleep, but I will give it a week at least before wiping the ipad and starting over.

Judge thanks. - I have been thinking of it non-stop except for when asleep, but I will give it a week at least before wiping the ipad and starting over.

Odds are that it WILL come back to you. That you've only mentally misplaced something. Not actually lost it. ;)

Maybe you will see it in a dream:

Using the password
Feeling/seeing your hands on the keys
A clue in the form of a scene/picture

Or some other time
when it can float back to you
awake or asleep

— Short Term Memory

If anyone has a helpful tip on retrieving a lost memory, in this a muscle memory of a password for a computer (ipad), please post it. It is not written down anywhere, it was not made of familiar words, and there is no question written down to prompt memory of it. If I have to I will wipe the memory of the ipad, but it'd be nicer to simply get the muscles in my fingers to remember their pattern for the password.

I have recalled things in "muscle memory" by thinking of a time when I clearly remember doing it, down to the finest detail possible, then trying the task. I try to involve my visual memory, which is strongest. It has worked for PIN numbers and passwords.

Good luck.

— Short Term Memory

Sometimes I'm able to retrieve a memory if I can recall what I was doing/saying/thinking exactly at that time. If I can recreate a small movie in my memory, then I can retrieve some details.

It is funny how that works. Most of my passwords are the same. But to get into one plant, I have to punch in a code that they assigned to me. Just thinking about it, it is hard to remember. When I am at the keypad I can punch it right in. Must be muscle memory.

New Threads

Top Bottom