• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

v4169sgr

V.I.P Member
Just a quick intro post.

I was diagnosed through a work-sponsored scheme last August after prevaricating for five+ years because I didn't like the idea of being labelled or pigeon-holed, and because work up to that point had been pretty hostile to the idea. Needless to say it's a night and day transformation now - a whole lot more supportive.

Being fifty-something I don't feel that obtaining a diagnosis has changed how I feel about myself or my self-model, however it certainly has opened the door to new insights and opportunities for introspection.

A close family member was diagnosed officially a while back which did set the wheels of thought in motion. Several older family members would I feel certainly have been diagnosed themselves had the concepts and support been available.

I was very ill as a child - I didn't walk at all until two and a half, and not properly until six or seven. This caused knock on effects on my digestion that caused a one month+ stay in a major children's hospital plus as I recall significant physiotherapy. To this day I do not find stair steps or slopes at all easy to cope with. This as I understand it now is a deficit in proprioception - I literally don't know (much about) here my body is.

Plus of course on top of that there are a slew of challenges with social interaction etc. I find it a great deal easier to express myself using the written word than the spoken word - not that I don't like to try, but I find I am more easily understood in writing. Added to which I stim a lot (much less than when I was a child), prefer my own company, focus easily on tasks & find it difficult to adjust when interrupted etc. I can see a lot of sense in the emerging model of 'monotropism' as applied to autism.

I have several interests which I pursue to some depth and find a great deal of satisfaction and purpose in.

I've just recently equipped myself with three enamel badges: a great big yellow smiley face, a skull and crossbones, and a "I'm autistic, not rude" little blue badge. I had the opportunity to share these with my wider team at work in a DEI Listening Circle exercise & think what a fantastic thing to have happened!

I still don't like or appreciate being labelled though
:lol:

Hi and welcome. Except for the childhood illness you don't sound much different to me.

Hi and welcome. Except for the childhood illness you don't sound much different to me.
Thank you. I suggest one way of understanding it is that proprioception is no different from any other sensory hyper or hypo sensitivity. It just happens that my under sensitivity to proprioception caused a lot of issues when I was younger (and still does in later adult life but to a much lesser degree).

Welcome.

Do you like stargazing?
Well done for getting the reference - not many do!

Just getting into the 'practical' side of things after most of my life being into the 'interpretative' angle. Here is a first attempt - unprocessed, working on that.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-12-15 07-57-51.png
    Screenshot from 2023-12-15 07-57-51.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
I've just recently equipped myself with three enamel badges: a great big yellow smiley face, a skull and crossbones, and a "I'm autistic, not rude" little blue badge. I had the opportunity to share these with my wider team at work in a DEI Listening Circle exercise & think what a fantastic thing to have happened!
Hi and Welcome

I like this idea - good move. Do hang around here a bit and get to know us , and the way that autism manifests in many different ways.

Hi, You taught me a new word. I'm already grateful to you for that!
My proprioception wasn't great as a kid. I stubbed and broke my toes a lot; I just wasn't very good at walking as a child.

I do like the idea of a badge or Tshirt or something to "come out" with, but my (also autistic) partner doesn't want me telling people. He wanted me to keep quiet about being autistic here, where I live, in regards to our neighbors and I haven't the heart, yet, to tell him I already told them.
I only got my diagnosis, at 50, a month or so ago.
Anyway, nice to meet you. I hope you get some helpful peer support here. It's a good place, I think.

Hi, You taught me a new word. I'm already grateful to you for that!
My proprioception wasn't great as a kid. I stubbed and broke my toes a lot; I just wasn't very good at walking as a child.

I do like the idea of a badge or Tshirt or something to "come out" with, but my (also autistic) partner doesn't want me telling people. He wanted me to keep quiet about being autistic here, where I live, in regards to our neighbors and I haven't the heart, yet, to tell him I already told them.
I only got my diagnosis, at 50, a month or so ago.
Anyway, nice to meet you. I hope you get some helpful peer support here. It's a good place, I think.

It's a wonderful place, filled with beautiful people who all speak and write in a way that I find relatable!

Thanks for sharing, and for the laugh. I do understand and sympathise though. It took me this long (at least five years) to seek a diagnosis because I did not want to be labelled. I think what's changed now is that people are becoming more accepting and understanding, and also importantly that I do not need to 'label' myself, merely understand myself & the way I think act and feel a bit better. That helps others too.

BTW as a youngster I would get called a 'walking dictionary'. Some of that has dimmed now as my forgettery has grown. But it has never changed the beauty I find in precise expression.

New Threads

Top Bottom