• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

autisminheels

Hello everyone, my name is Rabecca.
I was officially diagnosed as high functioning autistic at the age of 52, and it has brought a great deal of clarity to my life. My journey with autism began when my daughter, who is now 17, went through a neuro-psychological evaluation at 15 due to difficulties in regulating her emotions, which led to meltdowns. Her evaluation revealed that she is autistic with ADHD. This prompted me to reflect on my own suspicions about my now 19-year-old son, whom I had always believed to have Asperger's.

After researching autism and Asperger's extensively for years, I decided to have him evaluated, and he was diagnosed with NVLD (nonverbal learning disorder).

Additionally, my other son was diagnosed with ADHD and Tourette's. I find it confusing that he was not also diagnosed as autistic, given he was the one who didn’t speak for the first 3yrs of his life and had his own language we had to learn to communicate.

My husband was evaluated last and was not identified as neurodivergent, a conclusion with which I strongly disagree. My therapist shares this view, as he has been present in many of my sessions.

It’s suspect that my oldest daughter, who is 26, is also high functioning autistic woman unfortunately, we were unable to get her in to be evaluated before she turned 26 as our deductible was met a month right before she turned 26 and they didn’t have any openings..

Lastly, my older son 37 was not evaluated however we are certain he’sADHD not Autistic.

Having this many people on the spectrum under one household has been quite challenging, especially over the years not knowing why everybody was the way they were or why they reacted the way they did. A lot of assumptions were made, and some were judged unfairly.

On my maternal side, my cousin in her 40s was also recently diagnosed with autism and ADHD.

I am here to share my experiences, learn from others, and offer support to those who may be going through similar journeys. I look forward to connecting with others on this forum.

I am also writing a book that solely focuses on late-diagnosed autistic teen girls and women. I am collecting their stories and will be compiling them in this book in hopes that it will help other women connect and recognize that they are not alone.

Last edited:
Hello & welcome.
full

Hello and welcome! I hope you enjoy the forum. Let us know if you have any questions as you figure things out here.

Welcome!

I enjoy reading anthologies / collections and wish you all the best with yours.

I hope in your upcoming book that you may be able to collect and present stories from a variety of backgrounds - since in the books and stories I've read thus far, there seems to be more published from those with financially well-to-do backgrounds / upbringings (For later diagnosed women's memoirs, two that immediately come to mind are Pretending to be Normal and Autism in Heels), and I think it would be interesting to try to show the experiences of those from less well-off backgrounds, so we could see the differences, but also, the similarities.

One relatively recent collection which I felt was very well done from a diversity perspective was

I am also writing a book that solely focuses on late-diagnosed autistic teen girls and women. I am collecting their stories and will be compiling them in this book in hopes that it will help other women connect and recognize that they are not alone.
Hi @autisminheels

I have not come across your spelling of oyur name, but you learn something new every day.

Good on you for writing about late diagnosed females - an important area.

I was officially diagnosed as high functioning autistic at the age of 52, and it has brought a great deal of clarity to my life. My journey with autism began when my daughter, who is now 17, went through a neuro-psychological evaluation at 15 due to difficulties in regulating her emotions, which led to meltdowns. Her evaluation revealed that she is autistic with ADHD. This prompted me to reflect on my own suspicions about my now 19-year-old son, whom I had always believed to have Asperger's.

After researching autism and Asperger's extensively for years, I decided to have him evaluated, and he was diagnosed with NVLD (nonverbal learning disorder).

Additionally, my other son was diagnosed with ADHD and Tourette's. I find it confusing that he was not also diagnosed as autistic, given he was the one who didn’t speak for the first 3yrs of his life and had his own language we had to learn to communicate.

My husband was evaluated last and was not identified as neurodivergent, a conclusion with which I strongly disagree. My therapist shares this view, as he has been present in many of my sessions.

It’s suspect that my oldest daughter, who is 26, is also high functioning autistic woman unfortunately, we were unable to get her in to be evaluated before she turned 26 as our deductible was met a month right before she turned 26 and they didn’t have any openings..

Lastly, my older son 37 was not evaluated however we are certain he’sADHD not Autistic.

Having this many people on the spectrum under one household has been quite challenging, especially over the years not knowing why everybody was the way they were or why they reacted the way they did. A lot of assumptions were made, and some were judged unfairly.

On my maternal side, my cousin in her 40s was also recently diagnosed with autism and ADHD.

I am here to share my experiences, learn from others, and offer support to those who may be going through similar journeys. I look forward to connecting with others on this forum.

I can relate to a lot of your story.
I am recently diagnosed at 50 with ASD2 and ADHD. I have a lot of neurodiverse folk in my family. Some diagnosed but many not. I have 7 children. Only 1, so far, diagnosed with ASD3. Other's will follow, of that I have no doubt.
I have a teenage niece in the process of seeking diagnosis for ASD and another nephew from another sister diagnosed with ASD as well. Interestingly, they aren't related by blood, as they are both the children of half sisters, one I am related to through my mother and the other through my father.
My brother got an ADHD diagnosis as a child.

New Threads

Top Bottom