• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello!

LittleCandle

Hi, everyone. I'm Amanda. I was officially diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome roughly four or so years ago. I have a little trouble coming to grips with that even now, so hopefully I can meet people here and perhaps make new friends as well.

welcome.png

where are you from
where im from they say hfa -AUTISM spectrum disorder -i agree with them as nts presume Aspergers means savant .
im the same 18 months later still seems slightly strange

Hi Amanda. I like it here, good luck to you. This is a pretty friendly place, meeting people in the chat room and making friends seems pretty easy, I hope you find it that way too.

Hi there,
I'm self-diagnosed. I'd love to hear what changed for you after you were officially diagnosed. You say you still find it difficult even after four years... is there something in particular you still find hard? Conversely, what has been easier since your diagnosis?

Hello!

It's taken a lot of time to accept I have Asperger's too. To me it just didn't feel like I "deserved" it. I've seen other people who clearly were autistic and therefore everyone accepted him for it but not so much for me personally or it seems for some other people around me.

giphy (40).gif

Hi, everyone. I'm Amanda. I was officially diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome roughly four or so years ago. I have a little trouble coming to grips with that even now, so hopefully I can meet people here and perhaps make new friends as well.
hi amanda welcome to AC!
i am LFA not aspie but i relate to aspies in various ways so dont be afraid to talk to me.
itll really help you being part of the online/offline autistic community as its all about accepting yourself,acceptance and understanding of ASDs,and lastly how it is part of your identity and not a medical condition as such.

there is a book that might interest you,called neurotribes, its a huge book all about autism and its history as well as portraying neurodiversity as a good thing and how autism isnt necessarily a disability.
i have it,but admittedly havent read through it all as i struggle with reading text on paper [you cant change its size or background/font colour and theres always to much text].

only you can say how you feel about yourself and your autism amanda, but i think it helps people alot to see it as part of their identity and not a seperate angry looking thing that haunts them every day which is what a lot of NTs with autistic children want to see [ie,a tragedy],it isnt a tragedy with the right supports,but us adults were screwed over as kids, those of us given 'treatment' as kids were often left traumatised and regressed, most aspies/HFAs didnt get anything or acceptance which was a bad thing for many who have grown up with the mental baggage of being undiagnosed and not supported.

i think you are a strong person amanda,youve got to adulthood without a diagnosis which means you have gotten through a misunderstood childhood.
for a lot of people,it feels like they didnt have a childhood because of the lack of understanding,or the lack of diagnosis,or the abuse they suffered for being autistic,so i guess if you are one of us you need to learn to let go of your childhood.
its a hard thing accepting a label on yourself,but keep going your doing great by coming here.
sorry if i have waffled on to much,ive had medication.

Welcome, Amanda!
This is the right place to come to terms with your diagnosis and eventually be at peace with it.
I know I wish I had been coming here while I was awaiting the results for mine, it would have saved me an awful lot of anxiety. But give the people here a few days and you will already see improvements :)

I was gonna say "4yrs without being on an aspie forum, what took ya so long?", but I guess you've kinda answered that.

Hello Little Candle, welcome to the forum. I hope it helps. I'm a 58 recently self-diagnosed Aspie. I only realized it from working with children on the spectrum in special education classes. Finding out at this time in my life was like finding out the name of the street I had been living on for 58 years. I still have a lot to learn but I am thankful for the diagnosis because I know what "it" is. It's my constant companion that never goes to sleep.

New Threads

Top Bottom