• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has Anyone Else Suffered From Discrimination At Work?

I am meeting with the Occupational Health Dept Doctor again today. I will have my Professional Body Rep and my wife with me. I am making a list of things I want to say and things I want us to agree on today. Will post here later with the result if that's OK?

I am meeting with the Occupational Health Dept Doctor again today. I will have my Professional Body Rep and my wife with me. I am making a list of things I want to say and things I want us to agree on today. Will post here later with the result if that's OK?

Good luck, hope it goes well :)

Good luck, hope it goes well :)

Thanks. Unfortunately it went worse than could ever be expected. The Doctor accepted that I have got Asperger's then screamed at me and stormed out of the room. My wife and Professional Body Rep, who were also in the room were equally stunned. The worst thing you could ever do to an Aspie, who you have just said has General Anxiety Disorder too.
We are complaining about his behaviour to his employer and possibly to the General Medical Council.
Add to this that my bosses had written to the Dr beforehand and not provided me with a copy of what they had wrote beforehand as the law requires. In it they suggested that I had lied to the Consultant Psychiatrist to falsely obtain the Asperger's diagnosis just so I didn't have to work in the noisy office that they want me to (I am requesting my own, quiet office). Their answer to my sensory overload? To put me back in the noisy office where I had my meltdown and make me wear headphones!
My professional body is starting legal proceedings on my behalf for discrimination.

Thanks. Unfortunately it went worse than could ever be expected. The Doctor accepted that I have got Asperger's then screamed at me and stormed out of the room. My wife and Professional Body Rep, who were also in the room were equally stunned. The worst thing you could ever do to an Aspie, who you have just said has General Anxiety Disorder too.
We are complaining about his behaviour to his employer and possibly to the General Medical Council.
Add to this that my bosses had written to the Dr beforehand and not provided me with a copy of what they had wrote beforehand as the law requires. In it they suggested that I had lied to the Consultant Psychiatrist to falsely obtain the Asperger's diagnosis just so I didn't have to work in the noisy office that they want me to (I am requesting my own, quiet office). Their answer to my sensory overload? To put me back in the noisy office where I had my meltdown and make me wear headphones!
My professional body is starting legal proceedings on my behalf for discrimination.

Wow, that's ridiculous! To even think you lied to get a diagnosis? They put that in writing? Perfect - take them to court! No kidding, they've been stupid enough to write it down which is evidence they are scumbags.

I have had people loose their temper with me too - my phycologist in group therapy lost his temper with me in front of everyone. He apologised the next week. What your doctor did was unacceptable, and I am glad you have got witnesses. You're in a very good position.

As for the headphones, well that's their suggestion to accommodate your condition? You requested a private office, so that's their counteroffer? I am not expert on all this, but it looks like they have offered a compromise solution which might be within their rights to do so. That's where your professional body comes in, to counter their counter offer etc! Maybe you should try headphones like they suggested and see if it helps (or not!!). Then again, accepting their suggestion might give them grounds to say they tried to accommodate you and it failed. Be careful there!

Wow, what a load of unnecessary hassle. I hope you stick with it and get what you need.

Its not you, its them.

I have this issue no matter where I seem to work, I always at least get this one that would think of me as either really stupid or talk to me in a way that they would do to a young child and I still seemed puzzled why that would be the case? Maybe they notice it because where I'm working at, I'm honestly not sure how aware they are about this? I haven't mentioned anything of it but I'm not sure if it would even be worth mentioning?

I know what you mean when referring to the "talking to me like a young child" thing. A lot of people do that to me after hearing of my diagnosis, even if they'd known me for years and treated by like a normal person beforehand. It's really frustrating and somewhat insulting, isn't it? I feel for you if you have to deal with that on a day-to-day basis. We're aspies, not mentally disabled chimpanzees.

I know what you mean when referring to the "talking to me like a young child" thing. A lot of people do that to me after hearing of my diagnosis, even if they'd known me for years and treated by like a normal person beforehand. It's really frustrating and somewhat insulting, isn't it? I feel for you if you have to deal with that on a day-to-day basis. We're aspies, not mentally disabled chimpanzees.

Wow. People who knew you beforehand? I probably wouldn't handle such a situation very well.

I had a very good friend, whom I had known for about two years. On the day I was diagnosed, I was excited and told her about it. To my dismay, in subsequent conversations she began talking to me as if I were about six years old. Tact not being my strong suit, I asked her why she was talking to me as if I were a child, and pointed out that it had started after I told her the diagnoses. She was mortified, and apologized to me. I was glad that she stopped talking to me that way, but appalled that after knowing me as long as she had, that she could perceive me in such a drastically different way, based upon a newly acquired label.

I have been discriminated against at work for my ethics and need to follow laws and regulations. I have had at least two jobs where I have had to fight my director and even had to bring in copies of labor laws to prove I was allowed to take a 10 min. break twice a day. I also had one job where the director of the preschool I worked at thought it would be alright if she broke licensing regulations, "but only in the afternoons." What that meant was that, at 19 and with 9 college units, I was being left alone with 18+ children ages 2-12 when licensing said I shouldn't be left alone with children at all. Even when I had the minimum of education, I shouldn't have had more than 12 4-year-olds, 8 3-year-olds, 6 2-year-olds, OR (I think) 18 elementary school age children. The age groups should not have been mixed together. When I reminded her of licensing regulations, she made up several excuses to fire me. The other times I've fought for my break rights, they've backed down when I brought in copies of labor laws. I have been very lucky in my last few jobs to work with people who are very understanding. Maybe it's because I work in preschool versus some other industry, but I've only been discriminated against in a few jobs and not for my "disability".

I once worked in a bookstore over the summer – two years ago. They were just using me. I mean in the completely literal sense that they did nothing but use me. I haven't even applied for a job properly since then.

I'm at the point where I can barely tolerate a day at work. I love the actual work I do, but nearly hate everything else about it. I've started speaking up at work when I think people are being unprofessional, and I've had to meet with my supervisor, and basically it's because I haven't been friendly enough with my feedback. Everywhere I look people are being unprofessional - DRIVES ME CRAZY!! and then when I finally speak up, people don't like me. and for aspies, it's this subtle discrimination, that's the way it feels to me anyway. I'm not being denied a promotion or being fired - YET, but it will get to that point, but I'll be out of there by then and have my own agency.

i think this is why so many of us start our own business, work freelance, etc.

I feel for you and wish things were better for you.

Reading about everyone's experiences is comforting as I realize that I'm not the only one. I'm at the point right now where I simply want to find a job where I can come in, do my job, and leave. Is there such a career?

Yes. An employer I once worked for I keep asking for accommodations. They said they will but they never did. I also learned from a co worker that management does not believe in me that I can handle much. Then one day I feared I would loss my job since they didn't provide accommodations and that what just happened.

I am not disabled. I just have ASD. People treat me differently b/c having ASD means I think differently. It wouldn't make sense for them to treat me as if I was neuro-typical. I think that is a good thing.

Technically speaking, "discrimination" is just differential treatment between items or persons of differing classifications. I have a discriminating taste in steaks - I prefer ribeyes. Doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with a filet, but will always order the ribeye. You order what you like. Sometimes treating things differently makes sense and is a good thing (I don't want your filet). Sometimes it is unfair and stupid (e.g., you can't have this job b/c your skin is white, black, etc.).

So, being more precise, have I been the subject of unfair and/or stupid discrimination? Sure, but then I am human, and this is occasionally going to happen. If it wasn't ASD, then it would be something else like the colour of my skin, my gender, my religion, or my national origin (people love to hate Americans these days). If the unfair/stupid discrimination is so extreme as to have a lasting impact on my life, then I might have to do something about it. However, I should say that if you fight it every time, then that is all you end up having time to do. Life's too short.

My employment problems are still ongoing. Just had yet another stressful meeting where they tried to get me to go back to work in the shared office that I found so stressful due to constant sensory overload. They thought that because I am undertaking CBT that this would cure my Asperger's!!!!

My employment problems are still ongoing. Just had yet another stressful meeting where they tried to get me to go back to work in the shared office that I found so stressful due to constant sensory overload. They thought that because I am undertaking CBT that this would cure my Asperger's!!!!

Were you diplomatic and told them "then you are sadly misinformed" instead of the more sarcastic "don't you think an actual cure for Asperger's would be all over the news?" that I probably would have said?

So, being more precise, have I been the subject of unfair and/or stupid discrimination? Sure, but then I am human, and this is occasionally going to happen. If it wasn't ASD, then it would be something else like the colour of my skin, my gender, my religion, or my national origin (people love to hate Americans these days). If the unfair/stupid discrimination is so extreme as to have a lasting impact on my life, then I might have to do something about it. However, I should say that if you fight it every time, then that is all you end up having time to do. Life's too short.

ASD is a disability in a world built for neurotypicals. We're talking about more disheartening differential behaviour like being infantilised or condescended to, not be taken seriously, have people use the condition against you, being told when you're having sensory overload to "pull yourself together" or that you're "too sensitive". (Yeah, I'm too sensitive, that's why I get sensory overload. Duh.)

If they did "cure" you and make you normal, it would be to everyone's loss. Who wants to live in a world of normal people living normal boring lives?

ASD is a disability in a world built for neurotypicals. We're talking about more disheartening differential behaviour like being infantilised or condescended to, not be taken seriously, have people use the condition against you, being told when you're having sensory overload to "pull yourself together" or that you're "too sensitive". (Yeah, I'm too sensitive, that's why I get sensory overload. Duh.)

I actually agree with what you are saying, and I think it is a difference of semantics rather than opinions that we have here. I am guessing you get my meaning, so I'll spare us my usual long-winded explanation. However, let me know if that did not make sense.

Were you diplomatic and told them "then you are sadly misinformed" instead of the more sarcastic "don't you think an actual cure for Asperger's would be all over the news?" that I probably would have said?

I usually urge diplomacy, but had this popped into my head during such a meeting, then I could not have suppressed it.

"If they did "cure" you and make you normal, it would be to everyone's loss. Who wants to live in a world of normal people living normal boring lives?"

While I would not care to be what passes as "normal", I would like to actually "live" a "life". So I would be up for that much of a cure.

New Threads

Top Bottom