• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has Anyone Else Suffered From Discrimination At Work?

Sometimes my working partners tell me to do something cause they can't, and a girl which is really sweet tells me not to cause she knows they are tricky.

I've only ever been directly discriminated against because of my size ( I wear a size 18/xl in America) was privately told that shorts were inappropriate for me in a workplace with no dress code ... And where shorts and even miniskirts are common attire (the weather gets over 100f).

As far as aspergers, I'm not out at work so no personal discrimination but there are a lot of aspects that are especially hard for me.

Requests only allowed in person or over the phone, never email.

Work at in shared table with 10 people in a small room.

Teach collaboratively with two Taiwanese teachers (who are good friends with each other but not me so there's a lot of 2:1)

Sudden unannounced meetings.

Plans changing constantly and often unannounced or announced only in Chinese.

I'm good at my jobduspute theses things but I often image how well I'd thrive in an Aspie friendly environment.

I quit a job last week, my second Charity shop job at British Heart Foundation, because they didn't think I'd cope on the till in allegedly THE busiest Charity shop in the area.

Smh, just because I have AS.

Also, in October 1997 I started what was supposed to be a 9 month contract working for Boots Chemist in Meadowhall covering for a Woman on Maternity, anyway to cut a long story short, I lasted about a month until I got fired for something that technically wasn't even my fault! What happened was that they deemed me too slow on the till because of all the cards such as credit/debit cards, customer loyalty cards etc, so they had me putting security tags on Baby clothes in the Mother and Baby department, and these security tags were really sharp and due to poor dexterity I couldn't handle them without stabbing myself, one particular day I stabbed myself bad and let out an F word, which a customer heard and reported to my line Manager! Next thing I'm in their Office getting a rollicking, and then they said because I couldn't do the till to their satisfaction and couldn't do the tags safely, I was fired! I was literally like, WTF?!

By rights I could've had them for unfair dismissal and probably should've done, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle and expense of a big Court case against a big company like Boots.

Last edited:
I made the mistake of telling them I am aspergers at work.
But my experience is damed if you do and damned if u dont… so no clue WTF to do.
They immediately start to talk to you like you are retarded (I have a 140IQ) so that sucks big time.
Never can keep a job bec they resent and fear your differences. I think it is just to oo much for average people to deal with anyone who is not average.

Haven't we ALL suffered from discrimination at work at some point in our lives? So much so that it should be listed in the next DSM as being one of the things to ask about when a person is seeking a diagnosis for autism/A.S.

2014!? Oops, I'm a bit too late here :( This discussion is D-E-A-D, dead. Ah, what the hell, I'll click "post".

I made the mistake of telling them I am aspergers at work.
But my experience is damed if you do and damned if u dont… so no clue WTF to do.
They immediately start to talk to you like you are retarded (I have a 140IQ) so that sucks big time.
Never can keep a job bec they resent and fear your differences. I think it is just to oo much for average people to deal with anyone who is not average.

I guess it's not dead. Yes, why do they talk to us like that? Like they're talking to a five year old. We're not stupid: in fact, we're much, much smarter than they are in most cases, with (as you yourself say) with high I.Q.'s.

I quit a job last week, my second Charity shop job at British Heart Foundation, because they didn't think I'd cope on the till in allegedly THE busiest Charity shop in the area.

Smh, just because I have AS.

Also, in October 1997 I started what was supposed to be a 9 month contract working for Boots Chemist in Meadowhall covering for a Woman on Maternity, anyway to cut a long story short, I lasted about a month until I got fired for something that technically wasn't even my fault! What happened was that they deemed me too slow on the till because of all the cards such as credit/debit cards, customer loyalty cards etc, so they had me putting security tags on Baby clothes in the Mother and Baby department, and these security tags were really sharp and due to poor dexterity I couldn't handle them without stabbing myself, one particular day I stabbed myself bad and let out an F word, which a customer heard and reported to my line Manager! Next thing I'm in their Office getting a rollicking, and then they said because I couldn't do the till to their satisfaction and couldn't do the tags safely, I was fired! I was literally like, WTF?!

By rights I could've had them for unfair dismissal and probably should've done, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle and expense of a big Court case against a big company like Boots.

*cue facepalm* Of COURSE you were slow on the till, you were new! Damn. You're probably better off not working for them if they're that bad at being managers. I'm a cashier and it took me a good month before i was comfortable with everything. There's just so much you need to know that you don't really learn till you're on the register. How long it took me to get quick, i honestly don't know.

*cue facepalm* Of COURSE you were slow on the till, you were new! Damn. You're probably better off not working for them if they're that bad at being managers. I'm a cashier and it took me a good month before i was comfortable with everything. There's just so much you need to know that you don't really learn till you're on the register. How long it took me to get quick, i honestly don't know.

And what's worse is that they hyped the Management team up as "Oh yeah we'll look after disabled employees", big whoop, first time I make a mistake, which as I said wasn't even entirely down to me, I'm out! So much for that idea.

Partly hence my opinion that the disability equality laws in the UK aren't worth the paper they're printed on, because by rights I should've been protected by law as a disabled adult (I was 21 at the time) to not have been placed on the DANGEROUS job of doing the security tagging in the first place.

New Threads

Top Bottom