• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Financial Problems anyone?

Minimum wage employment is going to be your best bet at financial security until you can get your own business up and running, assuming that's the route you want to take. McDonalds and Walmart hire just about anybody, and Walmart is 10$ an hour now - the nightshift in particular strikes me as something that would be less busy, plus it pays more. Get a bike and use that to get back and forth to work if you live somewhere without public transportation. I highly doubt disability will get you through the month. There's an old man that works in electronics where I work - he gets disability checks but, obviously, he still has to have a job to make it every month.

All congress has to do is pass loan forgiveness forcing the government to write down the debt and exempt it from the IRS.
It literally just takes a change in the law.

Also it would provide an massive economic stimulus to the country to end student loans for good.

I agree about the stimulus, but forgive me for not feeling optimistic about the Congressional Act. I will believe it when I see it.

I agree about the stimulus, but forgive me for not feeling optimistic about the Congressional Act. I will believe it when I see it.
At the rate Trump keeps attacking everyone, there is very good chance Hillary and the Democrats will have a blowout this November flipping both houses of Congress.

Today Trump's attack on the military in an interview did some damage.

At the rate Trump keeps attacking everyone, there is very good chance Hillary and the Democrats will have a blowout this November flipping both houses of Congress.

Today Trump's attack on the military in an interview did some damage.

I consider all rhetoric from political candidates to be 'pogey bait' until such time as I am convinced they are willing to 'walk their talk'. That is to say that I don't take a word any of them say at face value.

I consider all rhetoric from political candidates to be 'pogey bait' until such time as I am convinced they are willing to 'walk their talk'. That is to say that I don't take a word any of them say at face value.
Trump is a different story.

... and Hillary might just become proof that "the masses are asses."

Meh, if I was American (and I'm not) I'd much rather vote for Hilary Clinton than Donald Trump, I always though her husband Bill Clinton was a nice bloke for a US President, shame he got impeached.

Anyway on topic, financial problems? Oh yeah I got those, my benefits go in fortnightly on alternate Tuesdays to the Bank, and I'm usually extremely lucky if one Tuesday's loot lasts me the full 2 weeks till I get paid again.

Don't get me all excited, now. :)

Hillary was my second choice, but I wanted Bernie and he is still influencing the process. I would be astonished that Trump is the Republican choice, but they have been working hard, for decades, to make it possible for someone who is both a fool and a toxic personality, so there you go.

I have no financial problems. I make some money, I spend it, and then I'm broke. No problem. :p

Seriously, though, I feel for your situation. If you can educate your self in some way to learn a skill where you can work for yourself, you'd probably be happiest. However, have you taken any of those career tests online that give you ideas of what you may be suited for.

Also, you might be able to talk to some representatives in the temporary employment services who would be willing to see you for free, and may be able to recommend options for you. You might have to call around a bit to find someone willing to help, but it's worth a try. Just let them know that you plan to work in the future, but want to check into positions you might be suited for now. Being proactive is always a good first impression. :)
No, I haven't taken any online career assessments. The biggest hurdle for me is trying to explain Aspergers to potential NT employers.....horrifying to me. Thank you for your advice!

No, I haven't taken any online career assessments. The biggest hurdle for me is trying to explain Aspergers to potential NT employers.....horrifying to me. Thank you for your advice!
Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier to explain some symptoms to a potential employer, rather than try to educate them about Autism. For example, saying things like anxiety makes it impossible for me to work closely with others? Just a thought.

Might want to be very prudent about what you say in terms of your 'people skills'. Saying anything that might hint at bad teamwork ability can be a major deal-breaker. These days 'Team Player' is a term I see in about 3 out of 5 job ads.

Might want to be very prudent about what you say in terms of your 'people skills'. Saying anything that might hint at bad teamwork ability can be a major deal-breaker. These days 'Team Player' is a term I see in about 3 out of 5 job ads.
I hate the way they use teams and team work in the work place. I don't go to work for the benefit of others. I go for my own reasons. A boss once used the tired old expression, "There is no 'I' in the word 'team.'" I simply retorted that there is no 'U' either.

I hate the way they use teams and team work in the work place. I don't go to work for the benefit of others. I go for my own reasons. A boss once used the tired old expression, "There is no 'I' in the word 'team.'" I simply retorted that there is no 'U' either.

Teamwork. That reminds me of Al Capone at a dinner party with a baseball bat in his hands.

The dinner didn't end well for "one of the team". :eek:

Bill Clinton was never impeached, he lost his bar lincesnse to practice law in the state of Arkansas for lying under oath.

Meh, if I was American (and I'm not) I'd much rather vote for Hilary Clinton than Donald Trump, I always though her husband Bill Clinton was a nice bloke for a US President, shame he got impeached.

Anyway on topic, financial problems? Oh yeah I got those, my benefits go in fortnightly on alternate Tuesdays to the Bank, and I'm usually extremely lucky if one Tuesday's loot lasts me the full 2 weeks till I get paid again.

I'm going to be honest with you and give you advice but you may not like it. This is not meant to be mean or hateful but you are asking a very adult question and the adult world is not a very sugar coated world so I'm going to be completely straight with you.

This is coming from someone who has worked for others for 12 years and also has worked for himself in many capacities. I've seen the best and worst bosses and I've also started, failed and succeeded in running my own business(es) from home.

If you can't handle the pressures of a normal job then you most likely won't be able to be self employed. Think about it. If working for yourself was easier than working for someone else then everyone would be doing it.

Working for yourself takes way more emotional and mental stability and focus. If you are having money troubles trying to balance things now you won't be able to balance the books and taxes on a company that has to answer to the IRS. The reason why fewer people are able to be at-home independent, managing their own business is because they are more functional than the average person at an average job. Sure there are exceptions but this is pretty much how it is. People who successfully start a business at home and actually succeed deserve much credit and admiration because it is a huge feat of character and strength; not something you are currently displaying. Stay with me though, you need to hear this. It does get better.

I get the fact that you don't want to have to answer to a boss but that's not going to help you. If you struggle with following rules or direction then how are you going to run a business when you are the boss? Some bosses are stupid and some of their rules are stupid, I know this. But if you work for yourself you will find that you are not only going to have to follow the rules but make them for yourself and others and enforce them. You think pressure is bad at a normal job? Try being the person responsible for a mistake on the company level and having to take responsibility for it with your own money and time. Working independently is putting everything on you; every stress, every mistake, every dollar, every bit of reputation. It's not for people who are timid.

Often people use that word "debilitating" and they don't seem to see that it's a double edged sword. If you are too debilitated to work a job (where you get paid for a small task in a company) then you are far too debilitated to run a company solo. Even programmers have to get up and do things. No real job that makes real money is going to be easy. If you are caught up with what you can't do, you will never push past them to see what you really can do.

And you ask "Can I make it on disability benefits alone?" and I will point out that even if you do get disability, it's not a very fulfilled life you will be making it on. It's not a very big check even if it seems free to you. I have known many people on disability or constantly chasing disability and I have to be blunt: If all you see is the need for money, you will never be happy with anything you do. Sitting on a disability check usually brings out the worst in people. Jobs represent far more than just a source of money in our lives; they provide structure, motivation, goals, life lessons, accomplishments and general purpose to getting up in the morning. If you just receive a check full of money (that I worked for and was taken from my paycheck) you will lose more than the financial race, you will lose motivation. Trust me, even the most lively people I've known turn lazy and start compromising all their goals when they can just sit around and get disability. And it's even harder for them to ever get the strength to get up and start working again. I knew a mother who was extremely independent and strong willed; she hated welfare and what it meant but as soon as she gave in and got her first couple of checks, she quit trying at everything. She remained debilitated because nothing pushed her to get up anymore. You start taking a hand out for not being able to survive, trust me, you will never find strength anymore. Hunger drives us to push ourselves. Survival pushes us to become stronger than we were yesterday. Start lining up for free "making it by" money and you will lose your spirit making it impossible for you to start a business.

You think you can't go back to school because of $6,800? You are operating on a poor scale. Let me explain the figures to you:
You can find a trade and get a certification for only a couple $k, like welding or drafter. A welder can easily work 40hrs/week and pull in $5,000 a week! I'm a self taught Graphic Designer with plenty of years under my belt; if I wanted to set up for some freelance work I would earn $35-40/hour. Last job I took I worked for two days straight on a rush job (CGI architectural rendering) and pulled in $1.7k for 48 hours of work which I did in a 48 hour period. So for 2 days I made a month's wages compared to my normal job. But in order to do that I had to be faaaaar past a debilitated mindset.

I'm over $100k in student loan debt; that's over 10 times your debt, and I'm still going back to school. It's not because I'm stupid, It's because I have a plan and I have willpower to push on and not give up. I have skills, talent, experience, self encouragement and a fire lit in my spirit. I know that once I get certified in AutoCAD (I already know the program) I can freelance at $40+/hr and after I take the robotics degree I'll be able to earn around $55+/hr. I run my own business too and doing so is not for people who can't handle pressure or stress. When I'm ready to start working again I will be pulling in at least $2k/week. That makes only 50 weeks to pay off a six figure debt; that's less than a year. If you give up and take my tax dollars, you will probably earn $300-600/month and you will be just "getting by" but if you pushed yourself instead of giving up, you could be making 10-30 times that money and $6,800 will not scare you so much.

Your scale of understanding is off. Your debt is little more than a paycheck to someone who works hard. You aren't going to get far on disability because even if you get it, you are only allowed to earn so much... it literally limits you from making any real money. You need to understand that if you can't handle a job, running a legitimate business is going to be far harder. People start their own businesses (hipsters with laptops excluded) after they have grown too strong and independent from working for others. I used to work 2 jobs (day and night) and pulled 90 hour work weeks and both jobs (college teacher and security guard) had a lot of heavy responsibilities and pressure to balance. That being said, it's even harder to try and build a business from the dirt up.

You say "I cringe at the thought of being under someone else's control since I'm insufficient." This is not a reason to try and start your own business nor is it good enough to call yourself disabled. This is a characteristic you need to overcome personally. You think you are insufficient to do a job? How can you expect to work from home and keep yourself on task, motivated and organize your legal paperwork and taxes? No, you need to build your confidence. If you really are insufficient and debilitated the answer is not to sit around on our tax dollars, you need to work at yourself; become stronger.

I've seen men with no legs get up and run races! I've seen people who were never going to walk again, walk again. Van Gogh struggled with extreme depression and insanity. Beethoven was nearly deaf and he was still composing! Def Leopard's drummer has only one arm! There's a guy with down syndrome who runs his own restaurant. There are people in wheel chairs playing basket ball! There are people with no arms who put a pen in their mouths and draw/paint beautiful pictures. Even a friend of mine works hard at being a graphic designer despite the fact that he's 100% colorblind. You think you are debilitated to the point where you can't function, you have been taught wrong because our history was built by people with missing limbs and grenade damage and birth defects and pain but they all had one thing in common: They didn't give up and accept that they were no good.

Whatever you think is holding you back, it's only holding you back because you think it is. If you want to start a business you had better be doing it from a position of strength and independence, not fragile and debilitated. That is my advice; you don't like it, you don't have to take it. But I think you can do better for yourself than giving up and accepting your insufficiency.

watch this video and ask if you think you are more disabled than this guy

I'm going to be honest with you and give you advice but you may not like it. This is not meant to be mean or hateful but you are asking a very adult question and the adult world is not a very sugar coated world so I'm going to be completely straight with you.

This is coming from someone who has worked for others for 12 years and also has worked for himself in many capacities. I've seen the best and worst bosses and I've also started, failed and succeeded in running my own business(es) from home.

If you can't handle the pressures of a normal job then you most likely won't be able to be self employed. Think about it. If working for yourself was easier than working for someone else then everyone would be doing it.

Working for yourself takes way more emotional and mental stability and focus. If you are having money troubles trying to balance things now you won't be able to balance the books and taxes on a company that has to answer to the IRS. The reason why fewer people are able to be at-home independent, managing their own business is because they are more functional than the average person at an average job. Sure there are exceptions but this is pretty much how it is. People who successfully start a business at home and actually succeed deserve much credit and admiration because it is a huge feat of character and strength; not something you are currently displaying. Stay with me though, you need to hear this. It does get better.

I get the fact that you don't want to have to answer to a boss but that's not going to help you. If you struggle with following rules or direction then how are you going to run a business when you are the boss? Some bosses are stupid and some of their rules are stupid, I know this. But if you work for yourself you will find that you are not only going to have to follow the rules but make them for yourself and others and enforce them. You think pressure is bad at a normal job? Try being the person responsible for a mistake on the company level and having to take responsibility for it with your own money and time. Working independently is putting everything on you; every stress, every mistake, every dollar, every bit of reputation. It's not for people who are timid.

Often people use that word "debilitating" and they don't seem to see that it's a double edged sword. If you are too debilitated to work a job (where you get paid for a small task in a company) then you are far too debilitated to run a company solo. Even programmers have to get up and do things. No real job that makes real money is going to be easy. If you are caught up with what you can't do, you will never push past them to see what you really can do.

And you ask "Can I make it on disability benefits alone?" and I will point out that even if you do get disability, it's not a very fulfilled life you will be making it on. It's not a very big check even if it seems free to you. I have known many people on disability or constantly chasing disability and I have to be blunt: If all you see is the need for money, you will never be happy with anything you do. Sitting on a disability check usually brings out the worst in people. Jobs represent far more than just a source of money in our lives; they provide structure, motivation, goals, life lessons, accomplishments and general purpose to getting up in the morning. If you just receive a check full of money (that I worked for and was taken from my paycheck) you will lose more than the financial race, you will lose motivation. Trust me, even the most lively people I've known turn lazy and start compromising all their goals when they can just sit around and get disability. And it's even harder for them to ever get the strength to get up and start working again. I knew a mother who was extremely independent and strong willed; she hated welfare and what it meant but as soon as she gave in and got her first couple of checks, she quit trying at everything. She remained debilitated because nothing pushed her to get up anymore. You start taking a hand out for not being able to survive, trust me, you will never find strength anymore. Hunger drives us to push ourselves. Survival pushes us to become stronger than we were yesterday. Start lining up for free "making it by" money and you will lose your spirit making it impossible for you to start a business.

You think you can't go back to school because of $6,800? You are operating on a poor scale. Let me explain the figures to you:
You can find a trade and get a certification for only a couple $k, like welding or drafter. A welder can easily work 40hrs/week and pull in $5,000 a week! I'm a self taught Graphic Designer with plenty of years under my belt; if I wanted to set up for some freelance work I would earn $35-40/hour. Last job I took I worked for two days straight on a rush job (CGI architectural rendering) and pulled in $1.7k for 48 hours of work which I did in a 48 hour period. So for 2 days I made a month's wages compared to my normal job. But in order to do that I had to be faaaaar past a debilitated mindset.

I'm over $100k in student loan debt; that's over 10 times your debt, and I'm still going back to school. It's not because I'm stupid, It's because I have a plan and I have willpower to push on and not give up. I have skills, talent, experience, self encouragement and a fire lit in my spirit. I know that once I get certified in AutoCAD (I already know the program) I can freelance at $40+/hr and after I take the robotics degree I'll be able to earn around $55+/hr. I run my own business too and doing so is not for people who can't handle pressure or stress. When I'm ready to start working again I will be pulling in at least $2k/week. That makes only 50 weeks to pay off a six figure debt; that's less than a year. If you give up and take my tax dollars, you will probably earn $300-600/month and you will be just "getting by" but if you pushed yourself instead of giving up, you could be making 10-30 times that money and $6,800 will not scare you so much.

Your scale of understanding is off. Your debt is little more than a paycheck to someone who works hard. You aren't going to get far on disability because even if you get it, you are only allowed to earn so much... it literally limits you from making any real money. You need to understand that if you can't handle a job, running a legitimate business is going to be far harder. People start their own businesses (hipsters with laptops excluded) after they have grown too strong and independent from working for others. I used to work 2 jobs (day and night) and pulled 90 hour work weeks and both jobs (college teacher and security guard) had a lot of heavy responsibilities and pressure to balance. That being said, it's even harder to try and build a business from the dirt up.

You say "I cringe at the thought of being under someone else's control since I'm insufficient." This is not a reason to try and start your own business nor is it good enough to call yourself disabled. This is a characteristic you need to overcome personally. You think you are insufficient to do a job? How can you expect to work from home and keep yourself on task, motivated and organize your legal paperwork and taxes? No, you need to build your confidence. If you really are insufficient and debilitated the answer is not to sit around on our tax dollars, you need to work at yourself; become stronger.

I've seen men with no legs get up and run races! I've seen people who were never going to walk again, walk again. Van Gogh struggled with extreme depression and insanity. Beethoven was nearly deaf and he was still composing! Def Leopard's drummer has only one arm! There's a guy with down syndrome who runs his own restaurant. There are people in wheel chairs playing basket ball! There are people with no arms who put a pen in their mouths and draw/paint beautiful pictures. Even a friend of mine works hard at being a graphic designer despite the fact that he's 100% colorblind. You think you are debilitated to the point where you can't function, you have been taught wrong because our history was built by people with missing limbs and grenade damage and birth defects and pain but they all had one thing in common: They didn't give up and accept that they were no good.

Whatever you think is holding you back, it's only holding you back because you think it is. If you want to start a business you had better be doing it from a position of strength and independence, not fragile and debilitated. That is my advice; you don't like it, you don't have to take it. But I think you can do better for yourself than giving up and accepting your insufficiency.

There are far easier ways to run your own business. You can be an independent contractor. In some fields such as transportation, doing this can alleviate the headache of chasing and finding customers. You can always use an accountant to help with books.

Managing money is a skill that can be learned. I am learning how to do it at 39 years old.

I would not want to run a traditional business. I've tried it and have not succeeded. I am planning to get a pickup truck and trailer and work from a load board. Sure there will be challenges but social dynamics won't be one of them.

There are far easier ways to run your own business. You can be an independent contractor. In some fields such as transportation, doing this can alleviate the headache of chasing and finding customers. You can always use an accountant to help with books.

Managing money is a skill that can be learned. I am learning how to do it at 39 years old.

I would not want to run a traditional business. I've tried it and have not succeeded. I am planning to get a pickup truck and trailer and work from a load board. Sure there will be challenges but social dynamics won't be one of them.

Most states have modified their tax codes and business policies to benefit large corporations and the expense of small and medium sized businesses.

States were/are desperate for revenue they did this post 2008. Ironically the conservative states were the worst at it.

With today's technology it's becoming extremely easy for people to operate small businesses.

I'm even considering it as an alternative to the soul crushing process of getting hired in an existing company.
Too much stuff is being pulled on everyone, too much HR crap making it a pain for anyone to get hired, and too discrimination in the work place for people like us (this varies by state).

Construction...If you know what you're doing can be very profitable.

Church you're spot on, even if you're self employed you still have clients/customers to answer to.

I don't think ASD would qualify you for Disability, maybe if you're unable to live independently.

New Threads

Top Bottom