• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Financial Problems anyone?

Catlover614

Love Conquers
Please, please, please don't get mad at me if I'm asking something too personal here. I'm not interested in figures. I don't what I'm going to do. Can I make it on disability benefits alone? I can't go back to school because I have a student loan debt of $6,800. I am unemployable in my present debilitating state. I cringe at the thought of being under someone else's control since I'm insufficient. I want to learn how to establish myself where I can work from home and be free to be myself and take care of myself and not ever worry about people putting THEIR RULES on me. I can't wait til I'm free to be me. Yes, I know it's all my fault that I'm in this predicament. I'm the one who made lousy choices in life. And now I'm in the midst of my wreckage and barely surviving, which I totally deserve. I have alot of respect and admiration for you guys who are confident, positive, talented, successful and loving your life. I am none of these.

Please, please, please don't get mad at me if I'm asking something too personal here. I'm not interested in figures. I don't what I'm going to do. Can I make it on disability benefits alone? I can't go back to school because I have a student loan debt of $6,800. I am unemployable in my present debilitating state. I cringe at the thought of being under someone else's control since I'm insufficient. I want to learn how to establish myself where I can work from home and be free to be myself and take care of myself and not ever worry about people putting THEIR RULES on me. I can't wait til I'm free to be me. Yes, I know it's all my fault that I'm in this predicament. I'm the one who made lousy choices in life. And now I'm in the midst of my wreckage and barely surviving, which I totally deserve. I have alot of respect and admiration for you guys who are confident, positive, talented, successful and loving your life. I am none of these.

I'm unable to advise you because I suffer from executive functioning issues along with managing money. However, I stress that this is not your fault. It is simply your neurology. Please do not blame yourself.

Sometimes it is seemingly impossible to find a positive thought or action. Like Sportster said, failure is simply when we give up. It is fine to take a rest and recuperation during an "I give up" period.

But then contact your self and decide to sneak out of that attitude with your soul intact and move along.

Search and then latch on to whatever forward moving help or action or job or volunteer or combination thereof. Anything. To. Get. Moving. Forward. Good hunting.

Last edited:
I've supported myself financially since the day I left home. Personally I have a lower than Low socioeconomic status, so there's not a day that goes by without me realizing that. I take it one day at a time and it seem to work for me.

With me you're in good company, you don't deserve that you're In the predicament that you're in.

It would be next to impossible to make it on disability alone. I have advocated the security industry as a good place for Aspies. The work is simple and not demanding physically. Most of the time, a mere presence is really all that is required.

Not to get too off topic, but I'm curious what age and qualifitions are required?

It would be next to impossible to make it on disability alone. I have advocated the security industry as a good place for Aspies. The work is simple and not demanding physically. Most of the time, a mere presence is really all that is required.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I need to find work where I don't have somebody hovering over my shoulders. I need quiet and work alone. I have not given up.

Deserve? What makes you think you deserve what you're going through? If it's a matter of poor choices, then learn from them and move along. Life is like a dime novel; some chapters are good, some are bad. When you reach the last chapter you discard the book and start a new one.

I could write volumes about things I have done to totally foul up my life. I've filed for bankruptcy twice; lost or given away thousands or dollars; destroyed good relationships; and have held over 70 jobs. Over the years I have learned that the only debilitating thing is failure and failure only occurs when one totally gives up.

I cannot offer advice as far as finances go, finding gainful employment, etc. All I can say is I kept trying until I finally figured out a system that works for me and allows me to function in this confusing world. I believe that my religious faith plays a very important role in it all, but I also know I have to do my part.

At this point in my life I have been at the same job for nine years, am debt-free, and have a FICO score of 820. I'm not bragging, but rather demonstrating that it's possible. If I can do it, then anyone can.
I feel like I deserve to be in this condition. I've done some unspeakable things before I got saved. I don't know how to start my life over again. My driver's license is suspended from too many no insurance tickets and there's only a McDonald's in walking distance which would be hazardous to my Aspie self. I couldn't keep up with the busyness. You've done so well for yourself...awesome! I need encouragment and a more determined drive.

1. If your student loans are Federal Loans, you can call your loan provider and tell them your situation and they will be capped at no more than 10% of your income.
  2. If you have been deemed unfit to work and go on disability you can file a form with the U.S. Department of Education that will lead to your discharge your Federal Loans and monitor you for 3 years (via Social Security #).
    1. If you get any job in those 3 years, your loans will be reinstated with penalty and interest.
    2. If you get a job after 3 years period, the U.S. Department of Education can come back after you to get the money.

If you do option 2, you will barred from getting Federal aid and loans, and state aid and loans permanently.

Option 3 is do option #1 and wait to see if Hillary becomes president and enacts her student loan reform leading to all of us getting our debts discharged in her first 100 days.

Though option 2 is better for you if you go on disability permanently.

If you have private loans, you are probably screwed royally.

When deciding to take action, (hunting employment or producing enough artwork for a show) there's a big change on the inner. What I mean is attention; emotional energy to be targeted at my goals. I have to stop worrying and talking about (in my head and irl) about whether I deserve it or not. Freeing up the emotional and head space for work and decisions has to come first.

1. If your student loans are Federal Loans, you can call your loan provider and tell them your situation and they will be capped at no more than 10% of your income.
  2. If you have been deemed unfit to work and go on disability you can file a form with the U.S. Department of Education that will lead to your discharge your Federal Loans and monitor you for 3 years (via Social Security #).
    1. If you get any job in those 3 years, your loans will be reinstated with penalty and interest.
    2. If you get a job after 3 years period, the U.S. Department of Education can come back after you to get the money.
If you do option 2, you will barred from getting Federal aid and loans, and state aid and loans permanently.

Option 3 is do option #1 and wait to see if Hillary becomes president and enacts her student loan reform leading to all of us getting our debts discharged in her first 100 days.

Though option 2 is better for you if you go on disability permanently.

If you have private loans, you are probably screwed royally.
They're federal loans. Go Hillary!

Not to get too off topic, but I'm curious what age and qualifitions are required?
Only to be 18, have H.S. diploma or GED, a clear criminal record, and a licence (in Il, a PERC card) - the licence is a 'shall issue' kind of thing, a fee basically. Security companies will guide new hires through the process of getting the credentials needed. Securitas holds the Caterpillar contract. I get $12.50/hr as a regular. EMT officers get $15.50/hr.(EMT-B level) An EMT licence is fairly easy to get through a @$500 training course.

When deciding to take action, (hunting employment or producing enough artwork for a show) there's a big change on the inner. What I mean is attention; emotional energy to be targeted at my goals. I have to stop worrying and talking about (in my head and irl) about whether I deserve it or not. Freeing up the emotional and head space for work and decisions has to come first.
Thank you kestrel . I totally agree. I'm really doing the best I can to stay focused on my employment goals of owning and working in my own bakery.

I would't be hard on your self. Some stuff is beyond anyone control.

I'm not sure if this program exist in the states. I know my ex gf did had a large loan. There was something forgiveness for a loan if the person haves disability. I know she had trouble getting the application accepted since she didn't know how to fill it out correctly.

I never had a student loan but I once had $25,000 of credit card debt. The bank offer me a low interest loan in exchange to close my credit cards. This been a huge life saver for me.

As I understand it, bakery folks get up very early and work all alone. Lots of people don't like that, but if you do, is that not an employment advantage?

I really wish I could say something useful, but I think the differences between the US and Denmark, where I live, are just too great in this case. But I would like to say this: Whatever you have done, whatever problems you have, don't be too hard on yourself. It will only make everything worse. Accepting yourself, including whatever flaws you might have (and we all have plenty of flaws), is the best thing you can do to improve your life.

I have no financial problems. I make some money, I spend it, and then I'm broke. No problem. :p

Seriously, though, I feel for your situation. If you can educate your self in some way to learn a skill where you can work for yourself, you'd probably be happiest. However, have you taken any of those career tests online that give you ideas of what you may be suited for.

Also, you might be able to talk to some representatives in the temporary employment services who would be willing to see you for free, and may be able to recommend options for you. You might have to call around a bit to find someone willing to help, but it's worth a try. Just let them know that you plan to work in the future, but want to check into positions you might be suited for now. Being proactive is always a good first impression. :)

I seriously doubt Hillary or anyone else is going to absolve us of our student loan debts. Even if she does, how is the IRS likely to react? To them, those loans become taxable income upon forgiveness.
All congress has to do is pass loan forgiveness forcing the government to write down the debt and exempt it from the IRS.
It literally just takes a change in the law.

Also it would provide an massive economic stimulus to the country to end student loans for good.

New Threads

Top Bottom