• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Emetophobia (Trigger Warning, TMI)

Misty Avich

I prefer to be referred to as ADHD
V.I.P Member
I have had a phobia of vomiting (emetophobia) since childhood, and it's worse than it sounds. I went 17 years without physically being sick, until I caught norovirus 6 years ago from the care home where I worked, and that has actually worsened my emetophobia to the extreme. Now whenever I feel sick I worry that I'm going to suddenly start vomiting and not know why, or have caught another norovirus and might vomit like 20 times before I'm better (I never thought that was physically possible but apparently it is).

I sometimes do wake up in the middle of the night feeling nauseous and fighting it off, so when I had norovirus that time I thought it was just one of my nausea attacks that will go on its own. I didn't know I had norovirus at first, as I felt fine and had eaten well the previous day. But for about an hour and a half I laid awake fighting off the nausea and wondering why it wouldn't go.
Then my body suddenly gave up on trying to fight it, and I threw up (luckily I kept a bucket beside my bed). Lucky for me I only threw up once, but it was the worst experience I have ever faced. I had difficulties bringing the vomit up at first, so from uncontrolled wretching I wasn't breathing, then as the vomit did come up I involuntarily sucked in air, which pushed the vomit down into my lungs. I nearly drowned in my own vomit but luckily my lungs threw it back out instantly, and after that I just sat on the bed shaking and crying and never wanting to experience that again.

Not only that was scary, it was also scary and distressing beforehand, where I spent an hour and a half or more battling with severe nausea and not knowing what my body wanted to do. I don't burp (maybe like once or twice a year if that), so it's like I don't have very strong muscles in my throat (or maybe the opposite, where the muscles are too strong) that makes regurgitating or burping almost impossible or at least very difficult and painful. So my emetophobia isn't just an irrational phobia that can be cured by therapy, it's also the physical strain that I find scary. Whenever I feel sick now, I start obsessing, thinking I have norovirus again and I keep thinking ''no, I can't go through with vomiting, I don't ever want to vomit again in my life''.

It's why I live my life doing everything I can to avoid vomiting, such as drinking alcohol, getting pregnant, eating foods I'm unsure of, working in a school or hospital where noroviruses are likely to spread, going on rides that spin around or drop very fast (in fact all rides now make me queasy), and arming myself with every antisickness remedy I can think of when traveling. I even have antisickness remedies at home too, like ginger, pills, wristbands, etc. I suffer from vertigo that can easily be triggered by motion or alcohol, even though I otherwise have a very strong stomach where I am very rarely sick, but I still don't want to chance it.

Can anyone else relate or understand this phobia? Not sure what triggered it during childhood exactly, but I know having norovirus 6 years ago has worsened it. I wish I were a rat because they don't ever vomit.

Yes. It's not as severe as it used to be, but when I was in my teens and early adults years it ruined my entire life. I missed a lot of school my last couple of years in junior high and when I did go to school I would have anxiety and panic attacks and it was all entirely my own fault. I hated living in a group home with ten other people with chronic mental illness because I knew the germs would be spread around like wildfire. Even the staff would come in when they were really sick and contagious. I refuse to go on a boat or in a plane and I would rather die of cancer than get chemo. And I know I'm going to get several kinds of cancer because I never had kids and I'm fat, it doesn't matter that I don't smoke, drink alcohol or do dangerous drugs.

"...rodent responses to taste may make them better at avoiding toxins that can sicken or kill them. Rodents also eat clay when sick, which apparently can latch onto dangerous materials and keep their bodies from absorbing them..."

They don't always have access to clay, though.
Thus "the reason that rat poison works so well is that the pests can’t throw the poison back up..."

"Horses have a band of muscle around the esophagus as it enters the stomach. This band operates in horses much as in humans: as a one-way valve. Food freely passes down the esophagus into the stomach as the valve relaxes but the valve squeezes down the opening and cuts off the passage for food going back up.
Horses, however, differ from us because their valve really works. Humans can vomit. Horses almost physically can’t because of the power of the cut-off valve muscle."

It's a lot more common than other people think and yet the info I've found online has the nerve to say it's "rare" and "peculiar". And of course, women suffer from it more than men do, or at least more women admit to it, anyway.

You are lucky you're not me. I think at the start of the year I was vomiting 3 times a day for about 4 months. Also had terrible mouth ulcers.

Perhaps I've been cursed

"...rodent responses to taste may make them better at avoiding toxins that can sicken or kill them. Rodents also eat clay when sick, which apparently can latch onto dangerous materials and keep their bodies from absorbing them..."

They don't always have access to clay, though.
Thus "the reason that rat poison works so well is that the pests can’t throw the poison back up..."

Interesting. I had heard of people eating clay, but thought it was traditional remedy (or maybe superstition) with no actual beneficial effects, other then maybe the placebo effect. But a quick google scan suggests there is actually some newer study evidence for positive results (for people).

Good advice. :cool:
<Going out to find some clay just in case>

Vomiting is unpleasant, but I don't see why it would be something specifically to be afraid of. It happens, and then sooner or later it stops. Fortunately, nausea has an easy medicinal fix.

Nausea seems to be my go-to reaction for almost everything. GI tract issues, fevers, anxiety, migraines, vertigo, and motion sickness haunted me. Lots of vomiting until I left home and discovered there were medications that could help. I have come to love Meclazine, and Drammamine, but prescription Zofran has become The Way. Always get pills that dissolve on the tongue. Anything that has to be swallowed can come up again.

Last edited:
---Can anyone else relate or understand this phobia? Not sure what triggered it during childhood exactly, but I know ---having norovirus 6 years ago has worsened it. I wish I were a rat because they don't ever vomit.

I too had a fear of vomiting when much younger. I think it started when I was little. I ralphed and suddenly couldn't breathe. Not being able inhale or exhale is terror at a base level. Obviously I did get to resume breathing but it left a mark in my brain.
It was partially resolved many years later on a trip when I was sixteen and had eaten a sandwich with green/grey salami. Ooooh! Several hours later my stomach was approaching full revolt, and we entered Yellowstone Natl Park. You know, the place with loads of stinky sulphur? That was that final big straw. I ran off to the park bathroom and gave an involuntary mighty heave just inside the door. I think it went 8 feet to hit one of the sink mirrors, along with twin streams exiting my nostrils. Afterwards my sister said I was so pale and weak it seemed that she could see through me.
But I lived through it, and realized there were worse things. So I guess that may be why it has less of a hold on me now.

Horses can't vomit either, which is one reason colic is a leading cause of death.
Compare that to goats, cattle, sheep, in that they vomit several times a day to process their food!

Yes, I had that condition starting at age seventeen or so when my anxiety and social phobia was at its worst and from a life of pent-up emotions because of daily abuse from my parents. The event that triggered my first vomiting episode at that age then was after two Navy guy's knocked on my door and handed me a telegram (my parents were not home then ) telling me to give it to my parents. Once my mother later read it, she screamed and screamed while crying, with me finding out then of my brother's death. She then forced me to call my mean, alcoholic dad at work and I just told him to get home, with him yelling at me for me being speechless to explain why.

Anyway, for the next two years about, which was the last year of high school and first year of community college, I vomited at least three times a day. I had fear then of being near food, eating food, and being in public places, thinking I would vomit and embarrass myself, as when I had so much anxiety before and vomited, after those negative thoughts built and built turning to panic, where I could not stop the negative thoughts about my heart racing, breathing increasing, knowing what would come next.

In my case, as I knew the fear of vomiting and embarrassing myself in front of mean parents and students who could critique me was causing the panic to build and causing those sickness episodes, I after about two years of daily panic episodes and numerous embarrassing events, where I had to eat gingerly and sparingly, avoid most foods and to sit near classroom doors and exit often, I had a plan to try instead convincing myself all those times after I vomited that that was a good thing, as maybe then someone could see the pain I was going through and get me help, or it could be an excuse to quit college, never work where I could not, get the right treatment, etc.

Miraculously, over the next few weeks or so later after I put into practice that plan, the anxieties and fears started to noticeably lessen and I feared vomiting less, such that the panic became no more, and vomiting stopped. This gave me positive reinforcement and belief I could control those negative thoughts once they started to begin, using that reverse psychology. So, anytime I started having a beginning negative such thought I immediately started telling myself I stopped those from getting out of control before by just thinking of something positive like mentioned before, even if I did vomit. Eventually my mind started not even having beginning thoughts of being sick like that, no matter if I was around food, ate, and in public, as I knew what to do if such thoughts surfaced again.

There are other solutions that could work too, like visualizations of you succeeding there, ie. daydreams of not being anxious, panicky, and vomiting in those situations , but I did not need to try though since this worked. I am not recommending my approach for all though. I just knew it would work for me.

Last edited:
I heard they were going to bring out a vaccine for norovirus. I wonder how that's going. I'd even pay if I had to, then my life would be a lot happier, as I'm usually living in fear that I have somehow caught norovirus and will be throwing up 50 times for the next 2 days.

My grandmother died from norovirus. I know it's more common in the elderly to die from any virus but I could have died when I choked on my own vomit that time, even though I was bent forward. It's scary. Like I said, being sick is not just a bit unpleasant for me, it's frightening because of the way I don't regurgitate that easy like most people do. All it takes for some people to puke is just a few coughs. But me it takes a while of gagging, hawking, while not breathing for over a minute, and it'd would be so embarrassing if I done it in front of anyone. Ohh, it's so horrifying.

I rather die than be sick, although I wouldn't want to die while being sick.

Ondansetron is extremely expensive if you don't have prescription insurance.

My daughter takes 2-3 / day for Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome which is from her autoimmune disorder. I forget the price because we have insurance, but I believe it's around $600 / month since it's classed as a cancer drug.

Really???

Veterinarian generic ondansetron runs about .20 cents per pill here. Human grade costs about a dollar. It is a really easy prescription to get.

I heard they were going to bring out a vaccine for norovirus. I wonder how that's going. I'd even pay if I had to, then my life would be a lot happier, as I'm usually living in fear that I have somehow caught norovirus and will be throwing up 50 times for the next 2 days.

My grandmother died from norovirus. I know it's more common in the elderly to die from any virus but I could have died when I choked on my own vomit that time, even though I was bent forward. It's scary. Like I said, being sick is not just a bit unpleasant for me, it's frightening because of the way I don't regurgitate that easy like most people do. All it takes for some people to puke is just a few coughs. But me it takes a while of gagging, hawking, while not breathing for over a minute, and it'd would be so embarrassing if I done it in front of anyone. Ohh, it's so horrifying.

I rather die than be sick, although I wouldn't want to die while being sick.

Really???

Veterinarian generic ondansetron runs about .20 cents per pill here. Human grade costs about a dollar. It is a really easy prescription to get.

Screen Shot 2023-09-02 at 2.32.39 AM.png

It's not easy to get here at all. If she ever runs out at the weekend or on holiday and her doctor can't renew the prescription she's out of luck.

It's a cancer (chemotherapy) drug only prescribed by oncology and the occasional rheumatologist, under pretty strict conditions.

I pay $500 / month to have insurance to cover our meds, so we only pay $2.99 / prescription.

She's on about $4000 / month in medication.

I'm on about $1500 / month.

It's worth it but it still sucks.

I actually have retrograde cricopharyngeus dysfunction, so I believe this might be the reason why I fear vomiting, also why vomiting is extremely scary and painful for me.
So I hate it when people just shrug and say "vomiting isn't pleasant but you just have to get on with it, it doesn't last long, just a few seconds, etc". I'm pleased vomiting isn't an ordeal for them but they really don't understand my feelings.

New Threads

Top Bottom