• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Driving??

I'm ok with it, but there are some anxiety inducing situations. It helps to fall in love with your car. ;)

This thread reminds me of this b-side, also on their relatively new 20th Anniversary 2 CD Deluxe album.
Shirley Manson can give me a driving lesson anytime ;) :D

Driving yes I admit I am scared of it,I never learned how to drive and know I would fully meltdown having to both concentrate on what I am doing and watching the road,I am also a horrible multitasker and I fear having to deal with also the rules which are very confusing for me aswell.

Hi I'm new here but I was wondering If anyone else with asperges hate driving? I can't stand to drive I don't feel safe, I'm pretty sure if I was ever forced I'd probably have and anxiety attack.

Driving can be a very challenging thing for an aspie (more so when you're learning and disocvering how hard it is to multi-focus). In the end though, once you've mastered everything and made some mistakes without crucifying yourself, you'll realize that you can relax and that even other bad drivers on the road can be overcame. I love driving, am pretty exceptional on the road (though I was a slow learner) and am at the point where I'm possibly gonna be in magazines, exhibiting at events and chasing world records. Once I got interested, it never stopped and I couldn't give the independence that comes with being able to drive for anything.

Driving can be a very challenging thing for an aspie (more so when you're learning and disocvering how hard it is to multi-focus). In the end though, once you've mastered everything and made some mistakes without crucifying yourself, you'll realize that you can relax and that even other bad drivers on the road can be overcame. I love driving, am pretty exceptional on the road (though I was a slow learner) and am at the point where I'm possibly gonna be in magazines, exhibiting at events and chasing world records. Once I got interested, it never stopped and I couldn't give the independence that comes with being able to drive for anything.
Honestly, the better drivers are slower learners. I'm one myself. Since it took us longer, we really mastered the skills. I'm a CDL holder with 0 CSA points. Those are federal compliance, safety, and accountability points that are assessed when given a ticket or warning notice.

Honestly, the better drivers are slower learners. I'm one myself. Since it took us longer, we really mastered the skills. I'm a CDL holder with 0 CSA points. Those are federal compliance, safety, and accountability points that are assessed when given a ticket or warning notice.

It took 6 attempts to pass (though 2 or 3 of these were down to not having a strict enough instructor and getting a better one for attempts 5 and 6). As aspies we often need rules defined/explained rather than just spoken to us. We want to know why rather than just what.

It took 6 attempts to pass (though 2 or 3 of these were down to not having a strict enough instructor and getting a better one for attempts 5 and 6). As aspies we often need rules defined/explained rather than just spoken to us. We want to know why rather than just what.
Back when I was 19, I passed my basic, non-commercial driver's license on the third attempt. I had a lot of difficulty with the parallel parking. At 37, I got my Class A CDL and just eeked out a pass on that one on the second attempt. Again my difficulty was parallel parking and I was not real smooth with shifting the truck's 10 speed transmission.

After turning 39, I added a passenger endorsement to my CDL which was almost like taking the whole test all over again because a bus is an entirely different animal. In the two years since my first CDL test, the process changed quite a bit. The examiner gave me a handout while he read the instructions verbatim. I was able to visually and auditorily process the requirements in a very well-defined manner. Interestingly, the what and why were explained. I passed this one on my first attempt.

I actually like driving. It's fun :)

About a month ago I had my first (very minor) accident though. I was reversing out of a parking space, had checked to see if anything was behind me, but between the time I checked and the time I put the car in reverse, a big 4WD suddenly appeared. The light got damaged, the paint was scratched, but nothing major. After 25 years of being a motorist, and never even coming close to colliding with anyone. My perfect record is now tarnished :(

Good day my friend. I hate driving as well because people are rude and disrespectful on the road. Sometimes you have to if you don't have public transit

ive taken up cycling lately and im pretty good at it so far (though i haven't taken to any main roads yet though im planning to but the first step is always the hardest) so i like to think id be good at car driving if made the effort though of course thinking and doing are very different things o_O

ive taken up cycling lately and im pretty good at it so far (though i haven't taken to any main roads yet though im planning to but the first step is always the hardest) so i like to think id be good at car driving if made the effort though of course thinking and doing are very different things o_O
Cycling and driving aren't really anything like each other.

I love driving! It’s great.. can leave the house when I wish.

Just got myself a 2019 Ford Focus.. first car following Graduation!

Last edited:
I started driving quite late and when I did I had to take a lot of driving lessons in the lead up to the test. My boyfriend accused me of having an affair with the driving instructor. Which could not have been further from the truth.

I wish I'd known about aspergers back then. So many things would have been clearer to me (and probably to those around me).

My preference is for driving places I know, and places that are not too busy. I will drive to city when I have to but it's really stressful for me. As others have mentioned, there is so much to think of all at once. It's hard. I also worry incessantly about hurting someone, or hurting myself.

@Frostee "It’s great.. can leave the house when I wish" Fantastic point. I like that too.

I got my license at 17 because we lived out in the sticks and my parents didn't want to drive me around anymore. I was ok at driving on those country roads. At 18 I moved into the city and within a month I had a massive accident that damaged about 5 other cars and totalled mine. It was completely my fault. (No one was hurt, amazingly.) That was over 20 years ago and I've barely driven since. I have poor distance judgement, so I could never merge properly, or tell when it was safe to turn because I couldn't work out how close the oncoming cars were. I'm not very good at crossing busy roads as a pedestrian for the same reason. Totally freaks me out. Now, at 40, I don't have any real interest in trying to learn again. I have worked out how to live without driving.

New Threads

Top Bottom