• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Driving??

288aerosmith

Hi I'm new here but I was wondering If anyone else with asperges hate driving? I can't stand to drive I don't feel safe, I'm pretty sure if I was ever forced I'd probably have and anxiety attack.

Never hated it. But I never enjoy being in a congested parking lot either.

Having to multitask to an extreme looking in every direction to avoid getting hit or running into some pedestrian using their handheld device with them not noticing all the traffic around them.

Last edited:
Hi I'm new here but I was wondering If anyone else with asperges hate driving? I can't stand to drive I don't feel safe, I'm pretty sure if I was ever forced I'd probably have and anxiety attack.

Driving was not something that came naturally to me. It did not feel safe to me and took a while to develop the skills. Back when I was a kid, you could get your license at 16. I waited until I was 19 and did not drive regularly until my mid 20s. Once I mastered the skills, I loved it. In my late 30s, after burning out in Information Technology, I went to a tractor trailer training school. I've been across the US several times, all driving an 18 wheeler. I still don't care much for driving in the city on narrow congested streets.

If you want to be able to drive, the best thing to do is to wade into it slowly and steadily. At 16, my father upped and forced me to learn directly by doing. The unfamiliar sensations and stimuli frightened me enough that I refused to get my license for three years and still did not feel comfortable driving for several years. Find a good, patient, and friendly instructor and learn on an automatic transmission. Start with short drives in areas with little to no traffic. And by short, I mean 10-15 minutes at a time. You may find yourself very tired after the concentration or you may take to it quite naturally.

I do not mind driving as long as there is no traffic. If I am exploring up in the mountains or out in the desert, I enjoy driving. The more remote and rough, the better. I have a 4x4 for a reason. However, driving in the traffic is bad. The thing is, it does not have to be so bad. If everyone would pay attention to their driving, instead of all the other things that they are doing while they are driving, it would not be so bad. I believe that cell phones are the biggest offender. In my old age I have become less and less tolerant to blatant stupidity. One only has to drive in traffic to overload on the stupid things that "most people" do.

I do not mind driving as long as there is no traffic. If I am exploring up in the mountains or out in the desert, I enjoy driving. The more remote and rough, the better. I have a 4x4 for a reason. However, driving in the traffic is bad. The thing is, it does not have to be so bad. If everyone would pay attention to their driving, instead of all the other things that they are doing while they are driving, it would not be so bad. I believe that cell phones are the biggest offender. In my old age I have become less and less tolerant to blatant stupidity. One only has to drive in traffic to overload on the stupid things that "most people" do.
It really grinds my gears when people are texting while driving. That is just such a damn stupid thing to do that I wonder what does or does not go through some people's heads.

Yep. I ride a motorbike and I hate it. The only things I like about it is that I don't have to pay to park it. I get anxiety from riding, I hate other people on the road and the weather makes it a piss poor experience.

I'm learning to drive a car now and I'm hoping that it's gonna be a better experience

Motorcycles are only fun in the best of weather and on the open road. I completely get where you're coming from. I have the motorcycle endorsement on my license and I haven't ridden now for several years.

It took me about 7 years to learn. I live in the middle of nowhere so it had to be done.

I try and avoid it as much as I can and haven't driven since last summer but I really should practice more.

I need relaxing music for driving in order to focus. Preferably lyricless so I don't get distracted singing along!

I cannot drive, haven't had formal lessons, but I have tried driving on private land but just didn't get it and could not focus on all the steps needed. Out of my four siblings and I, only one can drive, the others all tried for years and could not. My mother cannot drive and my father only passed his test at 36. I cannot ride a bicycle either. If I didn't live so close to public amenities that I can usually walk, I would be stuffed. I also live very near to railway stations and bus routes though I don't use buses or trains very often due to the sensory overload caused.

Driving was a thing hard learned for me and I'm still not good at it. I never have done well with people screaming at me while I'm trying to do something, I tend to panic which is never good. I still don't drive to great because I'm easily distracted.

Driving? oh yeah and love it
Using a very lowball estimate,I have registered over 300 motor vehicles and took possession of several thousand :eek:

I have been driving since I was really young. I have always been interested in motor vehicles dating back to my childhood when I got my first taste of speed and power. There is nothing like feeling of G forces when a machine is accelerating and I love to live on the edge and flirt with disaster :cool:

I was spoiled for performance by age nine in the sense that the family truckster was a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro RS/SS convertible Indy Pacecar that was Hugger orange and white and the old man got his new Hugger orange '69 SS 396 ElCamino. Both of the cars were nasty quick and I ended up with the Camino in highschool. I later got another '69 Indy Pacecar because my mom would never let me drive hers because she said it had too much power. The Camino had even more out of the box and I added stuff to make it faster :p
She was uber pissed when I brought it home with a $4,000 pricetag and then totally torqued because mine had a 4 speed in it and she couldn't drive a car with a manual transmission. The average ten year old Camaro in '79 was worth about $3,000,but mine came out of southern California and was limited production and very clean :D

Here is an image of mine in 1979 and an advertisement for my car
https://www.aspiescentral.com/media/my-1969-chevy-camaro.5130/
https://www.aspiescentral.com/media/1969-indy-pacecar-ad.5135/

I hate driving. While I found learning easily, I have never felt safe, constantly on edge for something to happen, whether it's another driver doing something stupid or a deer running out into the road. Also, driving at night is horrifying, oncoming headlights are like daggers being stuck in my eyes.

On top of that, it's so boring! I don't understand how anyone can enjoy sitting in a box going from one place to another :sleeping:

I hate driving. While I found learning easily, I have never felt safe, constantly on edge for something to happen, whether it's another driver doing something stupid or a deer running out into the road. Also, driving at night is horrifying, oncoming headlights are like daggers being stuck in my eyes.

On top of that, it's so boring! I don't understand how anyone can enjoy sitting in a box going from one place to another :sleeping:

You have a good reason for not feeling safe. I have read that driving or riding in a car is the most dangerous thing that people do on a regular basis. All the more reason for buckling up, which increases you chances of surviving a serious accident by a lot. A little would make it worth it to buckle up.

When I am driving on a road trip, I am bored to death for the first hour or so. Then I get into a driving mode and just want to get there, with out a lot of stops.

Well....what else can a bunch of Aspies admit?

It's one of the most taxing forms of multitasking there is. One that's as common as dirt, but can also get you killed if you aren't always up to it. :eek:

I think I'm not good at driving is because I'm also very uncoordinated. So the whole hand eye foot combination is a no go.
Same problem. In the same way I shouldn't be able to operate a sewing machine, but I can, driving though there are a few too many foot-hand-eye coordination issues for me.

Same problem. In the same way I shouldn't be able to operate a sewing machine, but I can, driving though there are a few too many foot-hand-eye coordination issues for me.

The hand-eye coordination isn't so much an issue for me, but having to visualize in 360 degrees on top of everything else...it seems to be getting more difficult for me. Maybe age related, I'm not really sure. But I get more spooked these days in supermarket parking lots than anywhere else. Five miles an hour...but no one seems to pay attention to traffic in multiple directions. Doesn't help to drive a car so low to the ground.

I'm so glad I can drive and I try to avoid crazy people and drive "just right" so that I'm either getting out of an overly fast and dangerous car's way as soon as I can or anticipating that a car will cut in when it's not supposed to. I have a tendency to not notice some things that I should. If you are hypersensitive, there's a good chance driving may not be for you or much harder for you to overcome the obstacles necessary in order for you to be able to do it.

I'm one of the few people I know who can drive in the city. I can do NYC too, but prefer not to do it. That stresses me out, and I'd consider myself decent. I'm not that great at parallel parking at all, but I can get myself into a spot going back and forth if I get enough tries and if there's a bit more than enough space.

Oh, now you're just bragging.:p

My first car was a red 1970 Datsun 510 with a white vinyl top. I was going to try to make it like the BRE racer that Paul Newman drove, but unfortunately a telephone pole changed those plans. This is the style it was:

11.jpg

I was on the pit crew for a SCCA Datsun B-210 roadracer when I was a younger,so I know the 510 line quite well too. We were getting 175 horsepower@ 10,000+ rpm out of the lil 1400 cc pushrod motor with a few massages and an allowed competition cylinder head that increased the port sizes by nearly double with two huge Dellorto side draft carbs stacked one barrel per cylinder. My boss at the time got invited to the SCCA National runoffs at Road Atlanta in 1979 for his standings in the east coast division. I got paid to run the roads many weekends as he traveled the circuit. We worked our butts off,were fed like royalty in some of the coolest road courses I had ever been. I saw Newman quite a few times at various tracks campaigning a Z car at the time.

You could pretty much say that I am one of our few maximum gearheads that loves his motor vehicles :cool:
When cut,I bleed Chevrolet orange paint mixed with Harley-Davidson motor oil ;)

I had a slew of older American muscle cars in my past and still have two more 7+ liter performance cars in the works.

Although a few came close to it,I haven't found a car that scared me yet ;)

You want to talk about multi tasking,open a throttle all the way up on a high performance machine and see what happens next :D

If you aren't going to turn it all the way up time and again,why even start it up as I see it :p

Sorry for the hijack :eek::oops::p

When I had the chance to drive, I loved the freedom, but hated the stress and glad to stop, but at the same time hated to stop!

So, I think that I do not like driving, but love the freedom of driving and thus, when I do manage to get a car ( that does not need a licence) I will be relieved to get what ever is achieved by driving and glad to stop driving, because I am not by any means a natural taskmaster; I have to seriously think about it in order to multitask, which is very necessary when driving!

My instructor said that with practise I would be a natural driver, but only with an automatic!

Ironically, I know most of the highway code and will stick religiously to it, but can't pass because it is not my native language and to be able to pass, I need to multitask ie learn the lingo of the language and learn the lingo of the highway code ( for a pass), yet those who have passed should never be allowed on the road anyway! And this is what makes driving a nightmare, because you have to compensate for the lack and stupidity of other drivers.

If I could find a way to be independant and does not tacks my chronic social phobia ( which completely disappears when I did drive this car without licence), I would do so.

I did throughly enjoy the free driving, as I call it, where there are virtually no other cars.

New Threads

Top Bottom