• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism public speaking: Feel free to heckle

Oh, I'm so proud of you, Warmheart! I really enjoyed hearing how the sensory input improved your ability to prepare food! And bravo to you for learning how to swim. I have tried several times but panicked and gave up. Maybe I will try again, with you as an inspiration!

When I swim, my dog waits at home. He's a fantastic working Service Dog! I am too challenged with awareness to keep him safe in public (even a blind handler has enough awareness to keep his/her working dog partner safe). Grimm works for me at home and in my quiet neighborhood, where people already know us and do not try to interact with him, plus it's a cul de sac, so no real traffic to worry about. :) The public is pretty unpredictable, so SD handlers who do use full public access need to be pretty aware.

I learned as a child. But no, it wasn't easy and initially quite intimidating at times.
I might have fared better in childhood had my instructors been not so harsh. But people who were teaching tended to get impatient with me, which made it all the more stressful.

I might have fared better in childhood had my instructors been not so harsh. But people who were teaching tended to get impatient with me, which made it all the more stressful.

That's an interesting comment. Both series of swimming lessons I had in two very different states involved very "harsh" personalities. Kinda scared us kids in just the way they sounded. As if we were at boot camp and they were drill instructors.

But neither of them ever referred to me as a "maggot". Could be worse....:eek:

But between giving a public speech or swimming, I'd take swimming. Every time. ;)

Last edited:
That's an interesting comment. Both series of swimming lessons I had in two very different states involved very "harsh" personalities. Kinda scared us kids in just the way they sounded. As if we were at boot camp and they were drill instructors.

But neither of them ever referred to me as a "maggot". Could be worse....:eek:

But between giving a public speech or swimming, I'd take swimming. Every time. ;)
:)

Wow, getting on a plane first would have been overwhelming. Impressive job, Rich!

Thank you Suzanne for sharing your experience. How neat that you give talks now! You have so much to share! Thank you so much for your kindness and encouragement.

Buttercup, great link, I love Daryl Hannah! Thank you also for your kind words, too.

I am autistic, rather than Asperger's, though today ASD is the catch-all. My official diagnosis says "Infantile autism, active." Makes me not feel so bad about having my plush dinosaur collection. :D

Aww thanks! I meant it big time, you were great. I love the fact you made a joke of your rocking and didn't hide your twizzlemajobber or whatever you call yours!

You got me curious about her and so, I found an interview and my goodness me, the way she behaved is SO ME. The only difference is that with me, people tend to avoid me ( well that is how I perceive it anyway); it is like people are not eager to talk with me and I really am non plussed to know, because I never dominate the conversation, as I am too conscious that I can dominate very fast, if I am on a high with my subject.

What interests me is that she honestly looks like, well anyone really; no significant features that spell out: autism and then when she started to talk, I was like: oh my that is how I am when I am centre of the stage, so to speak and forgetting words.

She is officially diagnosed as having aspergers, but interesting to note, in America, they call it autism, but then again, most countries do call it autism and yet, aspergers is not autism! Yes, there are very similar traits, but I note that with autism a person looks different, but with aspergers, and especially in females, we look "normal", which is why it is hard to be accepted and yet, at the same time, mocked for how awkward we are in social settings.

Thanks so much for this.
I felt very similar about it. Wasn't sure if you would too. I found it refreshing to see a tall blonde Hollywood actress expressing how I felt to the media. She comes across so confident at first glance. It's nice to hear about the inner turmoil she hides so well so maybe others can see that outward appearances aren't everything. I've loved her every since she was a mermaid in 'Splash' with Tom Hanks, long before I started googling AS, or googling was even a thing in hindsight!

When I think of how arduous public speaking has always been for me, I sometimes look back wondering how things might have been had I gotten into drama classes in school. I mean...for all the scripting and masking we do just to get by, going into acting might have helped...not to mention as an interesting career.

The notion of pretending to be someone else...and doing it well. Hmmmm. Oh well...just another lost opportunity. <sigh>

Grimm does seizure response, seizure alert, and in my neighborhood, keeps me safe should I wander.
His task training is solid. He is the love of my life. Thinking further, he makes me come out of my shell also, allowing me to engage with the world more safely, and to engage with other people, as well.

Grimm does seizure response, seizure alert, and in my neighborhood, keeps me safe should I wander.
His task training is solid. He is the love of my life. Thinking further, he makes me come out of my shell also, allowing me to engage with the world more safely, and to engage with other people, as well.

Pets can be amazing in terms of how perceptive they can be towards us humans. Simply amazing. :cool:

Grimm, aka "The Doofinator," is indeed highly intuitive. His mile-long tongue and turbo butt keep me laughing, as well. :grinning:

One of my favorite local autism agencies has mentioned that they might like me to speak next April at a brunch. This is a fantastic agency which has helped me with visual schedules and AAC guidance this past year. It would be an opportunity to show them how grateful I am, a chance in some way to give back, contribute to the greater good. Not sure if it will happen or not. Tune in next time. ;)

:cookingegg: Do they serve bacon at a brunch? :D

One of my favorite local autism agencies has mentioned that they might like me to speak next April at a brunch. This is a fantastic agency which has helped me with visual schedules and AAC guidance this past year. It would be an opportunity to show them how grateful I am, a chance in some way to give back, contribute to the greater good. Not sure if it will happen or not. Tune in next time. ;)

:cookingegg: Do they serve bacon at a brunch? :D

If they do not, they should. Bacon is good anytime. It is to bad that it is not good for you.

image.jpeg

New Threads

Top Bottom