• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism public speaking: Feel free to heckle

Warmheart

Something nerdy this way comes
V.I.P Member
I've never done this before, so I felt pretty nerdous. :tonguewink: Yes, I'm fiddling with a stim toy throughout.
This was before a crowd of local business leaders at a fundraiser breakfast for my wonderful local YMCA. I felt truly honored and grateful for the chance to thank them.
The standing ovation really surprised me. It touched my heart, I felt so humbled. People can be so kind.

Without further fondue, here's your opportunity to heckle.

Where are these guys when ya need 'em? :D

upload_2016-6-14_14-11-28.jpeg

Wow, that was really good Warmheart. You should be quite proud of your speech, you did well. I wouldn't be able to remember everything I was supposed to say. Would have become tongue tied and repeated myself. Congratulations you did us all proud:)

Last edited:
Public speaking ? That's very difficult for me. Always has been. So would publicly heckling, if I ever decided to try. :p

Well done, Warmheart. You rock! :)

Last edited:
I've never done this before, so I felt pretty nerdous. :tonguewink: Yes, I'm fiddling with a stim toy throughout.
This was before a crowd of local business leaders at a fundraiser breakfast for my wonderful local YMCA. I felt truly honored and grateful for the chance to thank them.
The standing ovation really surprised me. It touched my heart, I felt so humbled. People can be so kind.

Without further fondue, here's your opportunity to heckle.

Where are these guys when ya need 'em? :D

View attachment 26146
Impressive...very well done!

Warmheart, ie Pati, I have to admit, even before I pressed on your link, I had no doubt you would shine and you did and something else, I reckon it is because you did not have notes that you did so well and the reason I say this is, because when I had my very first talk, I had notes and although I was told I did very well, I panicked so much when I lost my place and thought: yes, but they are my words, but didn't make a difference.

I go up regularly to do presentations now and find that it is tons better to have the ideas in my head and somehow I can remember them, but if I were to put them down on paper, believe it or not, but I would fail big time, because something clicks in that I must go by those notes!

When I am sitting in the audience and it is a question and answer time, I cannot answer up, but when I go on the stage, suddenly I am playing a role and has long as I do not look at the audience, I can just pretend I am someone I am not.

It is so good that you had the chance to speak and explain things.

I know this is silly, but do you have aspergers or are you autistic? I get confused, because I am not autistic in that sense.

Suzanne, that thing you wrote about 'playing a role'... I read an interview with Daryll Hannah (apparently on the spectrum) where she said she gets overwhelmed at red carpet events at having to meet everyone and be polite so she pretends it's her party and everyone is there for her on her terms so she can make it through them. I guess playing a role works for her too! She said it's helped her acting no end.

Here's the link if anyone is interested...

http://www.aww.com.au/latest-news/in-the-mag/daryl-hannah-my-battle-with-autism-20639

That was SO GOOD! You should be really proud of yourself! You were really funny and to see you in person I think the name 'Warmheart' is very apt. You came across as warm and friendly. And you made me remember my long forgotten love of swimming! Thanks for sharing this!

Thank you Suzanne for sharing your experience. How neat that you give talks now! You have so much to share! Thank you so much for your kindness and encouragement.

Buttercup, great link, I love Daryl Hannah! Thank you also for your kind words, too.

I am autistic, rather than Asperger's, though today ASD is the catch-all. My official diagnosis says "Infantile autism, active." Makes me not feel so bad about having my plush dinosaur collection. :D

Thank you Suzanne for sharing your experience. How neat that you give talks now! You have so much to share! Thank you so much for your kindness and encouragement.

Buttercup, great link, I love Daryl Hannah! Thank you also for your kind words, too.

I am autistic, rather than Asperger's, though today ASD is the catch-all. My official diagnosis says "Infantile autism, active." Makes me not feel so bad about having my plush dinosaur collection. :D

Thanks for that, Warmheart, because to be honest, anyone looking at me, would not guess in a million years that I have aspergers and if I am to admit it, it is because I tend to flounder and want to put the person out of their misery and say: oh it is on the autism spectrum and then I get: but you look so normal, are you sure you have aspergers and oh I get that and I am not and it basically leaves me drained and wanting to run away!

Thoughts whilst watching the video,

Wow!
Amazing!
Brave!
Inspiring!
Brilliant!
What a fun-looking fiddle toy!
Great sense of humour and timing!
Courageous!
How wonderful that you were able to have swimming lessons!
Very Informative!
What a lovely voice!
Very touching :).
What an achievement! (getting across the pool 22 times)

Wow. Graceful and eloquent was your speech, Warmheart. Thank you for sharing your speech about yourself and (tangentially about all of us) so beautifully. Your voice is lovely and if it is okay to mention; you look fit and pretty. :)
p.s.
As I think about this more I am smiling inside and have to add I am so proud of you.

Last edited:
Suzanne, that thing you wrote about 'playing a role'... I read an interview with Daryll Hannah (apparently on the spectrum) where she said she gets overwhelmed at red carpet events at having to meet everyone and be polite so she pretends it's her party and everyone is there for her on her terms so she can make it through them. I guess playing a role works for her too! She said it's helped her acting no end.

Here's the link if anyone is interested...

http://www.aww.com.au/latest-news/in-the-mag/daryl-hannah-my-battle-with-autism-20639

You got me curious about her and so, I found an interview and my goodness me, the way she behaved is SO ME. The only difference is that with me, people tend to avoid me ( well that is how I perceive it anyway); it is like people are not eager to talk with me and I really am non plussed to know, because I never dominate the conversation, as I am too conscious that I can dominate very fast, if I am on a high with my subject.

What interests me is that she honestly looks like, well anyone really; no significant features that spell out: autism and then when she started to talk, I was like: oh my that is how I am when I am centre of the stage, so to speak and forgetting words.

She is officially diagnosed as having aspergers, but interesting to note, in America, they call it autism, but then again, most countries do call it autism and yet, aspergers is not autism! Yes, there are very similar traits, but I note that with autism a person looks different, but with aspergers, and especially in females, we look "normal", which is why it is hard to be accepted and yet, at the same time, mocked for how awkward we are in social settings.

Thanks so much for this.

I admit to not listening to it all at first, but that was because the sound was very hard to hear and so, when I changed the sound, I have just listened the whole way through and started to stim and cry WITH PLEASURE and pride in you! Wow, to think that swimming enabled you to make soup from scratch, is a heck of an achievment and so BRAVO!

Doing this speech was easier without notes. My thoughts are sensory (images, sounds, motions, scents) rather than a narrative. During the week before my talk, I just translated my thoughts from the sensory to the narrative. Then, I just read off the page in my mind of the translation into narrative thought, while I did the speech. That's why my gaze looks so drift-y, I was reading off the page in my mind.

Cool! :cool:

That was fantastic! Very informative too. I learned a lot from your speech. You gave just the right amount of detail, and you never bored me. You have a wonderful sense of humor as well. I'm not surprised you got a standing ovation ... I wanted to stand up and applaud at the end myself! ;)

Great job!!!

About 13 years ago in May 2003 I went to an Autism Conference in Cookstown, Northern Ireland and did a talk, it was very nervy as it was my first time flying as well as doing anything like that, and I loved it, got a standing ovation for the speech (although I think a lot of that was because the Irish women liked my strong Yorkshire accent :D )

New Threads

Top Bottom