• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

YouTube psychologists

thejuice

What do you think of this trend? Could be helpful but t sometimes I think it's opening a can of worms without any support structure.

To me it's a pain to be recommended stuff that could potentially trigger a bad memory

If I understand correctly what you mean by "youtube psychologist," I agree that it can be sometimes helpful, but is not akin to actual therapy. I think, as with all other subjects, youtube can be a place to learn and explore new ideas, but a video should never act as a substitute for an actual mental health professional. I think some of the mental health related youtube videos can be used to reinforce ideas learned in therapy, but an actual human is integral to the process of therapy. Especially with the availability of televisit therapy these days, it seems connecting with an actual psychologist or therapist should be accessible to most people who also have access to youtube.

Furthermore, there are psychologists on YouTube that do quite a few autism videos but lack the perspective of what autism is beyond the behavioral component, as well as lack the perspective of the "inner world" of the autistic. Mark Hutton is a popular psychologist, and an example of someone attempting to help neurotypicals understand their autistic partners, but often misses the "mark" by mischaracterizing adult autistic behaviors, presumably by doing research on childhood autism and extrapolating this to adults, which may not be appropriate. Then unknowingly proceeds to tell neurotypicals partial truths and disinformation. Furthermore, he doesn't appear to understand all the neuro-anatomy, genetics, nor the immunological, neuro-motor, sensory, or GI components, and treats autism strictly as a psychological disorder, which is only a part of the condition.

I did video calls with a therapist long term.

Then when she met me in person she said she wished we'd done it sooner, as she could tell so much more about my body language etc in person.

Mind you, funding long term therapy is something I've never been able to accomplish. So I always feel like I stop short of ever accomplishing anything truly worthwhile with them.

Ed

@thejuice Do you mean YouTubers who have a diagnosis and then talk as if having a diagnosis make them an expert or real psychologists who post videos?

Actually, regardless of which one, my experience is that the quality is highly variable. Some spread misinformation and are fairly terrible. Others have been very helpful. The trick is to tell the difference.

@thejuice Do you mean YouTubers who have a diagnosis and then talk as if having a diagnosis make them an expert or real psychologists who post videos?

Actually, regardless of which one, my experience is that the quality is highly variable. Some spread misinformation and are fairly terrible. Others have been very helpful. The trick is to tell the difference.
Yeah - that's the internet for ya.

There is a mass of info, but unless one has a reasonable background knowledge of a subject it can be hard to separate the meaningful information from the general baloney stream.

Anybody can claim to be an authority. It does not mean they are.

What do you think of this trend? Could be helpful but t sometimes I think it's opening a can of worms without any support structure.

To me it's a pain to be recommended stuff that could potentially trigger a bad memory
Ye, a previous thread had comment do you want to go sit in shrinks office (not really)
So if you have some friends, or support somewhere maybe it's good idea.
Just remember your shrink bills by the hour

I reserve my deepest scorn towards the ones that are clearly trying to get more views (and thus money) by casting a wide net. They tell people that you may have this and that and that the way you feel is not your fault... Then the this and that is a list of things that every single human being and my dog have at some point in time, which entirely misses the logic of a clinical diagnosis [insert rage emoji]. End of brief rant.

Actually, coming to this site has helped me more. And being forced to write out what l feel, has helped me zero in on feelings l was avoiding. Reading that others have the same issues helps me feel not alone. And helps me understand l have moved forward in emotional regulation. Without this site, l wouldn't be emotionally strong right now.

I'm talking about qualified therapists who use YouTube to talk about psychology.

Sometimes it feels like being in a one sided therapy session.

Knowledge is power but once or twice it did leave me quite distressed with no support so I try to avoid it. Better to leave somethings under the carpet.

As for the other, Ive seen some autism ones and I don't mind those as long as it's just benign self help stuff.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, most of these channels repeat similar information with little individual insight. They seem fairly pointless, though if they help someone I won't criticize that. Seems more like a symptom of our absurdly monetized society.

There's one questionable one who diagnoses celebrities or notorious people without actually diagnosing people. (Basically says "this is my analysis based on a situation like this"). Which I feel is stretching the boundaries of ethics a little bit. Bloody entertaining though

I love them
Some of them are so good. I try not to watch too much but they have really opened my eyes to a lot of garbage I go through
With my trauma and bpd
Like attraction to unavailable people and other things like dysregulation.
And bpd dysregulation and numbness
It is hard and it can be painful watching these days for me
The ones I watch are very knowledgeable and the trauma lady has been through it herself
And the gamer dude makes me laugh so much.
I kindof find him cute because he is smart and funny but would never tell him. But he has opened my eyes to a lot of things.

There's one questionable one who diagnoses celebrities or notorious people without actually diagnosing people. (Basically says "this is my analysis based on a situation like this"). Which I feel is stretching the boundaries of ethics a little bit. Bloody entertaining though
I am like that.
In the sense I have watched reality shows and some people have really opened my eyes to celebrities and their strengths
I watch the Paris Hilton show and I cannot tell you how much I love her even if she is a pampered rich lady only 30% though right now.

Well it sort of begs the question: 'What would have happened if Vincent Van Gogh' had had access to You Tube?'

vincent.jpg

And it's impossible to say as we don't know what videos Vincent would chose to watch.

Bob Ross.jpg

;)

That may depend on what qualifies as a "support structure" for those offering such advice. For some, it ultimately equates to formal education and certification as well as their malpractice and professional liability insurance. To others, they may rely on Good Samaritan laws to protect them. And for some, they may be woefully unaware of either.

However both are extremely at risk with no support in the event it can be established that their primary intent is to broaden audiences and be financially compensated for it. In this instance it's not a relatively new trend in broadcast media whatever technologies may be involved.

Ironic to consider the possibility that for those engaging in such practices, that they may equate success not on a metric of the persons they have truly helped, but rather the mathematical difference between revenues attained based on broadening audiences versus the cost of legal aid and damages arising from civil suits against them. Regardless of whether or not they have proper and recognizable professional standing.

One of media's "poster-boys" for such considerations:

New Threads

Top Bottom