• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

YouTube psychologists

The best any psychologist could do over YouTube is to make suggestions. Back in the day, the functional equivalent was advice columns in the newspaper. I remember reading Ann Landers, and Dear Abbey, but there were others. A lot of the reader's questions she answered were ones she wrote herself.

They are making those suggestions without having heard your issues. They also depend on a specific sociological group for an audience, so they make suggestions their audience will agree with. Conservatives will make suggestions that fit in with a conservative worldview. The same thing is true of liberals. Or feminist psychologists or theologically based psychologists. They will ALL make completely different and conflicting suggestions.

And they will do what it takes to keep the YouTube algorithm happy.

Are you saying Youtube videos are not credible?
LOL!

A YouTube video can be useful source of recent developments in a field as long as the Tuber is well planted in that field of expertise.

OTOH, opinions grow like weeds. Not something one would want to harvest, even if a few might be edible.

How is it doing my thinking?
I never said it was. My advice serves as a warning; one which many of my former friends would have been better off had they heeded it.

There is much sadness in losing friends to conspiracy theories, cults, scams, schemes, and pseudo-scientific nonsense.

There are some great therapists that have useful and informative YouTube video channels, but I am a bit skeptical of most people spouting pop psychology with zero credentials.

There are some great therapists that have useful and informative YouTube video channels, but I am a bit skeptical of most people spouting pop psychology with zero credentials.
I'm skeptical of people with credentials, too. It doesn't mean they aren't there just for the click$. I look for the logic that underlies the claims.

I'm skeptical of people with credentials, too. It doesn't mean they aren't there just for the click$. I look for the logic that underlies the claims.
Worse when such people are in fact credentialed, but in another field of study. Compounded by the foolishness of professionals plying their trade online in such a manner, effectively raising their malpractice insurance exposure in the eyes of wary underwriters.

"Please be advised that we are unable to renew your policy as your online presence presents an exposure not contemplated by our initial underwriting processes and policies. Notice of non-renewal will be issues no later than than sixty days prior to the expiration of your policy."

Most medical presentations on YouTube I tend to scoff at. Those that do get my attention however, involve researching the author of such presentations, to determine if and what kind of qualifications they may or may not have relative to what is being presented.

Though the exposure to non-professionals remains quite high...where their real liability may be more difficult to determine depending on various circumstances and legal considerations.

Dammit I clicked on another phony YouTuber exploiting trauma for views, pressing on all the raw nerves. It's put me in a foul resentful mood when I need to get on with the day.

Need to get the algorithm to stop recommending me these videos so I stop 'picking at scabs'

Furthermore, there are psychologists on YouTube that do quite a few autism videos but lack the perspective of what autism is beyond the behavioral component, as well as lack the perspective of the "inner world" of the autistic. Mark Hutton is a popular psychologist, and an example of someone attempting to help neurotypicals understand their autistic partners, but often misses the "mark" by mischaracterizing adult autistic behaviors, presumably by doing research on childhood autism and extrapolating this to adults, which may not be appropriate. Then unknowingly proceeds to tell neurotypicals partial truths and disinformation. Furthermore, he doesn't appear to understand all the neuro-anatomy, genetics, nor the immunological, neuro-motor, sensory, or GI components, and treats autism strictly as a psychological disorder, which is only a part of the condition.
I agree his videos are not a "cure" but he did help my husband identify the autism in me. The marriage problems he described were a mirror of what my husband had been experiencing. That being said, it does speak to the somewhat-deplorable state of autism influencers if he is the best out there.

Dammit I clicked on another phony YouTuber exploiting trauma for views, pressing on all the raw nerves. It's put me in a foul resentful mood when I need to get on with the day.

Need to get the algorithm to stop recommending me these videos so I stop 'picking at scabs'

I don't know what's worse, those or the "autism is my superpower and I love being autistic" types.

I don't know what's worse, those or the "autism is my superpower and I love being autistic" types.
Exactly. Absolutely cringeworthy.

My wife and I are watching "The Voice". This vocalist does an amazing job. She happens to mention that she is autistic. Why? I don't know. Pity points perhaps, but she didn't need them. Great singer. John Legend pipes up and comments "Autism is your superpower." I know he meant well, but still, my wife and I just sat there and gave each other the look of disapproval.

New Threads

Top Bottom