• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

~Who loves Musicals?~

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is tremendous, if you like Mary Poppins then this is just the ticket for you and yes, The Wizard of Oz is a musical most definitely; I don?t really think there is any other way to define it.
I am gonna buy both ?Rent? DVD?s off of eBay because it really does sound good and will also look for ?Newsies? now too.

Apparently there?s going to be remakes of a few good ones soon including ?Annie? and ?Jesus Christ Superstar?, plus a whole raft of new movies like ?Cats? and ?Starlight Express?. Even ?The Color Purple?.

On a last note, I am, without a doubt compelled, to obtain a copy of "Jerry Springer The Opera", if only to see why they would have thought of it in the first place, I don?t even know if his show is still shown in Australia but I used to watch it many years ago and thought it was both hilarious and poignant at the same time.

Gomendosi:Ohhh really they are making remakes of those? Cool. I would love to see a more up to date version of most of those. I need to watch Chitty Chitt Bang Bang. Supposedly they are going to do a cinema version of WICKED soon. I hope they do. Jerry Springer Opera? That just sounds....hum...interesting. I would like to see it but only if I didn't pay for it. This is going to sound dumb but I never liked CATS. I guess my thing is that I don't understand it. I've seen it like three times and I just don't understand it. Anyone want to help me with that?? I think you'll love Newsies besides its got Christan Bale in it...whoot.

Hey Spinning Compass: Nice to see you here. So you like Les Mis? I love that musical especially the song Castle on a cloud. I always thought it was talking about me. I don't know that's probably stupid. Anyway I love that Musical. I saw that you like RENT. Have you gotten to see it live?????

Spinning Compass, you mention a few good ones there and I thought we?d see you here because I have read a few of your blogs and know you tread the boards ; ]

I may have to admit that I haven?t actually seen either the one about cats (Cats) or the one about trains (Starlight Express) because weirdly, I was denied going to see "Cats" when a teenager and so I boycotted anything Andrew Lloyd Webber, like it was his fault, right? I no longer harbor that irrational grudge as it was overridden by my needing to see ?The Phantom Of The Opera? starring Frank from ?Some Mother?s Do ?Ave ?Em?

I saw a Bollywood film one night on local telly many years ago when I still watched commercial TV, about a woman who is accosted by bandits in a bad area near her village and ends up becoming the leader of the bandits somehow, Bollywood is great for musicals, though I haven?t actually yet seen that many.

Yul Brynner was great as the king in ?The King & I? but I first (and will always) saw him as The Gunslinger in ?Westworld?; I so do love that film! No, not a musical...
OMG ?Westworld The Musical?

hehehe, Urinetown hey? That is guaranteed to make a splash I bet, it?ll probably be #1. Wee?d definitely all like to see you on stage in that :lol:

I can only imagine what your neighbors got up to that they where invited on Springer, he had some doozies toward the end of the episodes we got here on commercial television.
The guy marrying his horse was Jerry?s favorite but, I think, I liked them all?

Arashi222, I too look forward with anticipation to a DVD version of ?Wicked?.
I also can?t wait to see ?Newsies? now as I am a big fan of Christian Bale, top actor in my book!
And I have to say there are a lot of musicals I need to check out as I am starting to think I have missed quite a few somehow.

Anyhow,
There was a Beatles musical recently I saw, what was that called? The production I would most love to see or even own on DVD is "Spider-Man - Turn Off The Dark", for a fan of superheroes like I am, this would be awesome!

We may be forgetting a most important addition to the genre here too guys, what about ?Cannibal The Musical?, I think it?s by one of the guys that do ?South Park?

*Is going to the video store to look for an English language copy of? Less Miserable* :p

Last edited:
Spinning Compass, you mention a few good ones there and I thought we?d see you here because I have read a few of your blogs and know you tread the boards ; ]

I may have to admit that I haven?t actually seen either the one about cats (Cats) or the one about trains (Starlight Express) because weirdly, I was denied going to see "Cats" when a teenager and so I boycotted anything Andrew Lloyd Webber, like it was his fault, right? I no longer harbor that irrational grudge as it was overridden by my needing to see ?The Phantom Of The Opera? starring Frank from ?Some Mother?s Do ?Ave ?Em?

I saw a Bollywood film one night on local telly many years ago when I still watched commercial TV, about a woman who is accosted by bandits in a bad area near her village and ends up becoming the leader of the bandits somehow, Bollywood is great for musicals, though I haven?t actually yet seen that many.

Yul Brynner was great as the king in ?The King & I? but I first (and will always) saw him as The Gunslinger in ?Westworld?; I so do love that film! No, not a musical...
OMG ?Westworld The Musical?

hehehe, Urinetown hey? That is guaranteed to make a splash I bet, it?ll probably be #1. Wee?d definitely all like to see you on stage in that :lol:

I can only imagine what your neighbors got up to that they where invited on Springer, he had some doozies toward the end of the episodes we got here on commercial television.
The guy marrying his horse was Jerry?s favorite but, I think, I liked them all?

Arashi222, I too look forward with anticipation to a DVD version of ?Wicked?. I also can?t wait to see ?Newsies? now as I am a big fan of Christian Bale, top actor in my book! And I have to say there are a lot of musicals I need to check out as I am starting to think I have missed quite a few somehow.

Anyhow,
There was a Beatles musical recently I saw, what was that called? The production I would most love to see or even own on DVD is Spider-Man - Turn Off The Dark, for a fan of superheroes like I am, this would be awesome!

We may be forgetting a most important addition to the genre her too guys, what about ?Cannibal The Musical?, I think it?s by one of the guys that do ?South Park?

*Is going to the video store to look for an English language copy of? Less Miserable* :p

Heh nice Tongue by the way...teehee. Good luck trying to find an English copy of Les Mis. I usually end up with subtitles not that I don't like subs. But with my visual impairment subs can get annoying especially if they choose a weird color for the subbing.

Ohhh um wasn't that called Across the Universe or something like that?

Yah supposedly they are in talks to do a WICKED musical DVD version like they for RENT. I am pushing for that. Yes go see Newsies its old and actually here's trivia for you the set of Newsies was burned down accidentally. When you see it let me knwo what you think its got Christian Bale (yummy and good actor to boot), Robert Duvall, and someone else who I can;t think of at the moment. Let me know too when you see RENT I would love to get someone elses point of view on the show especially if you get both versions. (may I make a recommendation? on that too? Watch the Broadway version first then watch the cinema version)

I love the newer version of Phantom, I don't know why but the old version bugs me. I love the King and I too. Oh Gomendosi: I also wanted to say that I do the same thing with boycotting things if things don't go the way I want them too. (heh I boycotted 2.5seasons of Stargate because they killed Daniel Jackson and my mom says I still haven't let that go...I don't know what would give her that idea though...I bring it up every time she suggests I should watch it.)
AHhh ok so now SpiderMan, X-Men or Batman and Robin?

Ohhh um wasn't that called Across the Universe or something like that?
Too true, that is exactly it! Suppose I could have just looked it up in Wikipedia but its more fun to have a question answered here, less factual but more... informational.

I thought it was rude to poke out your tongue :p

Christian Bale starved himself for one role and was really great in ?Rescue Dawn? (not a musical)
What made him a favorite actor of mine was the film ?Equilibrium? (Also not a musical) ; ]

And just to let you know:
I had actually planned on watching the Rent?s theatrical version before the cinematic one as I figured that to be the most logical sequence, but thanks for the heads up ; ]

The version of phantom I want to see has Michael Crawford & Sarah Brightman yeah, and began in 1986 in the West End (now that I did look up in Wikipedia)

I am overjoyed to find I am not alone in irrationally boycotting things on the flimsiest of premises; I believe it to be my right and will exercise it for no apparent reason, hehehe

Perhaps you can explain further what you mean by Spider-Man, X-Men or Batman and Robin? As a musical, Spider-Man is one already.

Mmmm, I am off to start a new thread about TV programs because I think it will be an interesting topic!

PS; Scared the snot out of me <--- So funny!

Too true, that is exactly it! Suppose I could have just looked it up in Wikipedia but its more fun to have a question answered here, less factual but more... informational.

I thought it was rude to poke out your tongue :p

Christian Bale starved himself for one role and was really great in ?Rescue Dawn? (not a musical)
What made him a favorite actor of mine was the film ?Equilibrium? (Also not a musical) ; ]

And just to let you know:
I had actually planned on watching the Rent?s theatrical version before the cinematic one as I figured that to be the most logical sequence, but thanks for the heads up ; ]

The version of phantom I want to see has Michael Crawford & Sarah Brightman yeah, and began in 1986 in the West End (now that I did look up in Wikipedia)

I am overjoyed to find I am not alone in irrationally boycotting things on the flimsiest of premises; I believe it to be my right and will exercise it for no apparent reason, hehehe

Perhaps you can explain further what you mean by Spider-Man, X-Men or Batman and Robin? As a musical, Spider-Man is one already.

Mmmm, I am off to start a new thread about TV programs because I think it will be an interesting topic!

PS; Scared the snot out of me <--- So funny!
[Size3] Yes...I compeltely agree much more fun and informational indeed.

I find that stcking ones tongue out is a nice way of saying we are having fun here. Please continues. Smiles.

Christian Bale is amazing. The first movie i saw him in was Newsies. I actually did project about that topic and what really happened to those kids.

Do u also collect info about musicals? By that I mean actors how many shows if they were in tither things etc...?

Oh the question about spiderman,Xmen or batman & robin was about who do u like the best and knowing that spiderman has musical which would want to go see if the other two were. I think that is what I meant.

Fyi this post is gonna be weird I'm on my nookcolor and seem to have to enter the codes myself so ther maybe lots of mistakes and i cant get my color so i cant really see what i am doing.[size 3]

Grrr, my brain just nearly exploded, I loathe my internet so much, it drops out all the time right when I am in the middle of stuff (its wireless)

Hey, I was joking about the tongue you know? Ahhh, there we go, this is more accurate :tongueM:

I don?t collect information about musicals as such, like posters and playbooks and tie in merchandise
Or maybe you meant interesting factual tidbits like that Taye Diggs from ?Rent? was the other lead in ?Equilibrium? with Christopher Bale from ?Newsies? ; ]

Always been a big fan of Batman, how about you? Definitely bring on a Musical about him and his exploits! I suppose Christian Bale is your favorite Batman then?

Never mind about mistakes, I write everything in Word before I post it here LOL

I remembered I already did start a thread about TV programs because I thought it would be an interesting topic!
Click here if you want to have a look?

Grrr, my brain just nearly exploded, I loathe my internet so much, it drops out all the time right when I am in the middle of stuff (its wireless)

Hey, I was joking about the tongue you know? Ahhh, there we go, this is more accurate :tongueM:

I don?t collect information about musicals as such, like posters and playbooks and tie in merchandise
Or maybe you meant interesting factual tidbits like that Taye Diggs from ?Rent? was the other lead in ?Equilibrium? with Christopher Bale from ?Newsies? ; ]

Always been a big fan of Batman, how about you? Definitely bring on a Musical about him and his exploits! I suppose Christian Bale is your favorite Batman then?

Never mind about mistakes, I write everything in Word before I post it here LOL

I remembered I already did start a thread about TV programs because I thought it would be an interesting topic!
Click here if you want to have a look?

Grr Brain explode? Ahhhh Computer funniness I see. Yah I hate when it does that. Mine did that too last night....I was soo pissed off. But teehee my mom still has dial-up for such emergencies because she knows I would freak out if I didn't have my Internets.

OOOOO yes that is a much better tongue I concur. Yes from now one that tongue is much better. Oh I figured it out. Besides its fun to play around sometimes.

Ahhh well I meant weird factual stuff about people like Taye Diggs and or one of the singers in the movie RENT was in the Newsis actually which I thought was cool for a short moment. But I also collect merchandise. I think I have three RENT shirts, a sweatshirt, all of the tickets and playbills that I went to. Pictures. I have homemade poster of RENT, The Libretto...teehee I am obessed. But anyway. I like both.

I would love to see a Musical about Batman. You know the funny thing is I am not really into the Batman movies I love the tv shows the cartoons and the orignal from way back when. But that would be fun for a musical. I am gonna go check out your tv thread.

I wonder. Why there hasn't been that many musicals done in awhile. I mean we have the standards. I really want to see Lion King. I mean the movie was great but my sister got to go see it on stage and she said it was really cool. Anyway back to what I was saying. Anyone else notice that? That musicals seem to be not as prominant anymore I mean I know they take a lot of work but still.

No, I haven't seen RENT live. I have the DVD version with Rosario Dawson etc. I didn't know there were two versions so I don't know which one I have and what is the difference. When I first started watching it I didn't care for it but I kept on and pretty soon I started really liking it.

Cats - I think you have to be a cat lover to appreciate Cats. It doesn't have a traditional plot which may make it hard to follow. Basically it is about a tribe of cats that live in a junkyard and once a year the king of the cats, Old Deuteronomy, gets to pick one cat who will be reborn to a new life in the Heaviside Layer. (There actually is a place called the Heaviside Layer, it's in the atmosphere). So while they are waiting for him to choose which one all the cats tell their stories through song and dance. One cat, Grizabella, is scorned by all the others because she is no longer the beauty she once was. She's the one who sings Memory.

I've had no problem locating English DVD's of Les Mis. The one I have right now is the 25th Anniversary Version which is quite the production.

I think one of the reasons musicals are not as prominent as they once were is that it does cost more to put them on. At my community theater the rule of thumb is that it costs the theater $75 per performance to put on a non-musical play. That's $75 in royalties to the publisher, and yes, they do keep track. If we pay for 5 shows that's all we can put on. I'm not sure what would happen if we snuck in an extra show and were caught but nobody wants to find out because it probably isn't good. The more recent and popular shows cost more and so do musicals. So we tend to do the older shows. Plus we have to make our own costumes, provide our own props and build our own sets, so that also limits what we can do as well as the size of the stage.

I think one of the reasons musicals are not as prominent as they once were is that it does cost more to put them on. At my community theater the rule of thumb is that it costs the theater $75 per performance to put on a non-musical play. That's $75 in royalties to the publisher, and yes, they do keep track. If we pay for 5 shows that's all we can put on. I'm not sure what would happen if we snuck in an extra show and were caught but nobody wants to find out because it probably isn't good. The more recent and popular shows cost more and so do musicals. So we tend to do the older shows. Plus we have to make our own costumes, provide our own props and build our own sets, so that also limits what we can do as well as the size of the stage.

That actually makes a lot of sense. My sister has a small theater company herself called coin purse Theatre I think thats how its spelled. But yah I get that you have to do royalty fees and stuff but still. I wish there were more musicals around.

Ahhh if you have the Rosario Dawson version then that's the cinema version the one they made for Film. It cuts out a few things that I think are important. The other version is the last live Broadway production of RENT. Its good I like it because its actually done on stage. But I do like Adam Pascal sooo that makes it hard to watch the other version.

As to Cats...that makes more sense now. I just for whatever reason can't seem to understand it. But your explaination makes more sense to me. I can see that you really like it though! I know a lot of people who like it.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up about RENT. I watched my version the other day and I thought it was different than the one that I had borrowed from the public library but now I know why. I will have to look for the Broadway version. I bought mine at a garage sale not knowing it wasn't the same one. But it is still good.

It seems a shame that you have to pay just to bring to life an idea, but I suppose intellectual property is tangible enough when it comes to a fast buck.
I see their side too because obviously the troop that performs somebody else’s material is or can rather, gain from said idea, perhaps put to the company you do a variation on the theme.
There is a film company at the moment producing what has been termed ‘Mockbusters’, which is to say that any time a movie is made that performs well, they then turn around and make an extremely similar movie to cash in, or ride the coat-tails if you prefer. Its certainly suss to be sure but, allowable under law.
Its no wonder community theatre is only surviving in small pockets. Maybe find a rich benefactor to bankroll you productions, don’t laugh, stranger things have happened for the love of the arts! I mean, its one way to save money for much needed props and costumes.

I agree I think there should be more theater out there that is afforadable and well funded. But its hard when you have to pay people and costumes and everything costs money.

Spinning Compass: I am glad I could be of help with that. I love Rosario and Adam Pascal in RENT. I just I've seen the theater version and I just its sooo passionate. If you like RENT check out American Idiot. Its none stop 2hours of music and singing and dancing.

Never seen any "High School Musical" and never will, I have no idea why now but I am boycotting them LOL
Now "Glee" on the other hand is truly awesome and I should watch some more of the episodes I downloaded for my last lady friend

"High school Musical" Hum? Yah I never saw it heard it was fine for the crowd it was intended for but "Glee" on the other hand I saw the first two episodes when it first came out and the plot just got tooo weird for me so I quit watching it. Its not like a regualr musical or a musical show its really wrapped up in my opinion in these weird subplots that just in my opinion don't make sense. But Eh my opinion doesn't mean much. I hope you give it a try though.

Hey hey, your opinion is so valid!
To my way of thinking however, "Glee" is the stuff I missed out on at school, I reckon would have been a nerd with a gift if I was normal.
But they’re kind of also like us in that they deal with prejudice against what they are and who they are because of it, plus it’s got singing and dancing, result!
Some of the songs are really good too, at least they where in the couple episodes I saw.
But I actually wouldn’t watch it when it first came out either; I thought it would be too much like "High School Musical".

I love the songs its not about the talent or the songs that actually turned me off. Its the weird grown-up sub plots that bothered me. It just got too weird for me. But watch it and tell me what you think of it if you watch it in order. I only was able to stomach like a total of four episodes I think. But I love the music. I was hoping it would be much more like you know how scrubs would do musical shows. But its not. All well let me know what you think when you watch it I am curious.

Check, I will watch it and let you know ; ]

Oh man I love scrubs, I forgot they used to bust out into song, how great was it that the janitor was supposed to just be a walk on bit in the first episode and they ended casting him for the whole series because he is hilarious.

He was funny. I think that was something that I always liked was how Scrubs just would start to sing out.

I will be expecting your thoughts on Glee.

I keep hoping that they will do a musical Big Bang Theory. I would burst in awesomeness because of it.

Anyone checked out the Youtube videos of American Idiot?? I would love to know what others thought of it.

Okay, for you guys that are interested, I just bought both versions of “Rent” for $20AU total, the theatrical release is standard but the cinematic version is double disc

New Threads

Top Bottom