• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

~Who loves Musicals?~

Arashi222

Cuddling Vampires
V.I.P Member
One of my biggest obsessions since 1996 when I first heard about RENT. I know everything to know about it. I have the Libretto, and cups, sweatshirts, t-shirts, the program, pictures from when the show came to the Mall of America, and both versions of RENT on DVD. One might suggest I am obessed. I've seen the show five times (and squeal got to meet Adam Pascal for two seconds when they came to MN). I also love the musical American Idiot from GreenDay.

Anyone else into Musicals??

If so which ones?
:cute:

Anyone else into Musicals?? If so which ones? :cute:

*puts hand up* Ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me :lol:

The first musical I remember getting hooked on was "Lil Abner", then came "Calamity Jane".
Probably anything where normal people bust out into song and dance appeals to me! IE: any ?Musical? episode of a TV show
I used to stay in weekends and watch TV all day, they?d have as the midday movie an old comedy like a Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis film or Abbot and Costello, then they?d usually put on a musical. I loved to watch these simply because I so wanted life to be that awesome. Ahhhh, those were simpler times?

Anyhow, there are quiet a few musicals that I love but I shall try to be brief, I don?t actually have a favorite type as such, as all music is tremendous and by extension so are all musicals
(haven?t seen rent though, sorry)

NOTE: Some of these may not meet the definition of ?Musical? in the ?Rodger?s & Hammerstein? sense, so please correct me if they don?t count ; ]

Bugsy Malone ~ Cabaret ~ Darby O?Gill And The Little People
Hedwig And The Angry Inch ~ Oliver! ~ The Country Bears
Michael Jackson Moonwalker ~ Sister Act ~ Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit
The Blues Brothers ~ The Sound Of Music ~ The Little Shop Of Horrors
The Phantom Of Paradise ~ Moulin Rogue! ~ The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Wiz ~ Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory
Jekyll & Hyde, The Musical (When it starred David Hasselhoff?!?!)

PS; I started This thread in the entertainment section that you might like to visit.

Last edited:
*puts hand up* Ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me :lol:

The first musical I remember getting hooked on was "Lil Abner", then came "Calamity Jane".
Probably anything where normal people bust out into song and dance appeals to me! IE: any ?Musical? episode of a TV show
I used to stay in weekends and watch TV all day, they?d have as the midday movie an old comedy like a Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis film or Abbot and Costello, then they?d usually put on a musical. I loved to watch these simply because I so wanted life to be that awesome. Ahhhh, those were simpler times?

Anyhow, there are quiet a few musicals that I love but I shall try to be brief, I don?t actually have a favorite type as such, as all music is tremendous and by extension so are all musicals
(haven?t seen rent though, sorry)

NOTE: Some of these may not meet the definition of ?Musical? in the ?Rodger?s & Hammerstein? sense, so please correct me if they don?t count ; ]

Bugsy Malone ~ Cabaret ~ Darby O?Gill And The Little People
Hedwig And The Angry Inch ~ Oliver! ~ The Country Bears
Michael Jackson Moonwalker ~ Sister Act ~ Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit
The Blues Brothers ~ The Sound Of Music ~ The Little Shop Of Horrors
The Phantom Of Paradise ~ Moulin Rogue! ~ The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Wiz ~ Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory
Jekyll & Hyde, The Musical (When it starred David Hasselhoff?!?!)

PS; I started This thread in the entertainment section that you might like to visit.

WOW! There is someone out there that loves musicals as much as I do.
Have you seen Chicago? I love Moulin Rouge...You know if you want to see RENT you can see it in two different forms on DVD. Have you seen WICKED? My sister saw Wicked and wished she could bring me with it was amazing. I love the music. I agree I love musical because of who life could be... in them why can't we just bust out into song at a moments notice hum? I will go take a look at your thread. What about musicals like Godspell? Oh there are so many. when I was younger i got see West side story and Beauty and the beast. If you liked Moulin Rouge you might also like the movie Burlesque with Char (its predictable but its good kinda rip off of Moulin Rouge).

Oh yeah, I forgot Chicago, Renee Zellwegger was great, I didn?t think she would be... and Richard Gere, hey, who new?

I am weirdly jealous of musicals because I sometimes get to that stage in life where you just want to show off how happy you are in the most extravagant means available to you at the time IE; song and dance.
I was tremendously impressed when ?Buffy The Vampire Slayer? had a musical episode, I wouldn?t have picked ?Spike? or ?Giles? as being singers in their own right but both actors are in real life, I checked up and James Marsters (Spike) was in a short lived band called ?Ghost Of The Robot? that?s really good to listen to. Anthony Stewart Head (Giles) has an album or two out as well.
Really though, I think in this technical age anybody can be made to sound good.

I think there was a musical episode in ?Andromeda? too wasn?t there? And hey, wasn?t Tim Burton?s ?Sweeny Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street? a musical as well?

As to "Wicked" and the like, I have actually never been lucky enough to see any musical theatre but I guess that why they invented DVD so, I will see it eventually ; ]

Not sure of my feelings about Burlesque, I will probably have to get back to you about that one!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I forgot Chicago, Renee Zellwegger was great, I didn?t think she would be... and Richard Gere, hey, who new?

I am weirdly jealous of musicals because I sometimes get to that stage in life where you just want to show off how happy you are in the most extravagant means available to you at the time IE; song and dance.
I was tremendously impressed when ?Buffy The Vampire Slayer? had a musical episode, I wouldn?t have picked ?Spike? or ?Giles? as being singers in their own right but both actors are in real life, I checked up and James Marsters (Spike) was in a short lived band called ?Ghost Of The Robot? that?s really good to listen to. Anthony Stewart Head (Giles) has an album or two out as well.
Really though, I think in this technical age anybody can be made to sound good.

I think there was a musical episode in ?Andromeda? too wasn?t there? And hey, wasn?t Tim Burton?s ?Sweeny Todd, The Demon Barber of Fleet Street? a musical as well?

As to "Wicked" and the like, I have actually never been lucky enough to see any musical theatre but I guess that why they invented DVD so, I will see it eventually ; ]

Not sure of my feelings about Burlesque, I will probably have to get back to you about that one!

I love Chicago too.

I would agree with you that sometimes music is the best way to show life. Happy or sad in all the ways possible. I don't remember if there was one on Andromeda I've seen them all but tend to focus on Harper so I might have missed it.
Yes Sweeny Todd was turned into a musical with Johnny Depp.

As to TV Musical episodes I love them. I saw the Buffy the one. It was funny. Did you ever see the one on Scrubs? That was funny I think they did a couple of them. They did one on Chicago Hope and ER I believe.

You're right DVD's are amazing. Well if you like Moulin Rouge you will probably like the lighter side of Burlesque. I like it but I prefer Moulin Rouge its a bit darker. I am really in love with RENT. I've seen it so many times. Have you seen Mary poppins? I loved that movie as a kid.

Hey do you mean "Repo! The Genetic Opera" starring Anthony Stewart Head (Giles) from Buffy?

Yup! That's the one. I Never really got into Buffy back in the day. The one I saw had Paris Hilton in it. The person who introduced it to me said that it was a remake.

I should also note that a while back I saw that they also made a non-musical version staring Jude Law and Forrest Whitaker. It was ok.

Probably my favorite musical of all time is going to have to be ?Popeye?, Robin Williams? first film role!
Don?t ask me why because I simply cannot say, maybe because Popeye is like a superhero (kinda), maybe because I was still a child when I watched it and everything back then had certain magical properties to it, maybe because it comes from a time in my life that I can point to and say ?due to that, I was happy then?.
I mean really, why does anybody like anything? Just 'cause it?s awesome!!! ; ]

I was always a fan of "Robin Hood- Men in Tights", when I was growing up. Not completely a musical, but still awesome.

and, of course, there is "Joe's Apartment" if anybody still remembers it.

Ahhhh yes, "Joe's Apartment". Actually one of the first DVD's I ever bought! Believe it or not, I lent it to a guy just a few weeks back. He likes it and reckons it’s hilarious!

All my brothers tried to tell me I was a girl if I loved musicals but I just told them to piss off, eventually they got the message. hehehe

Some of the others I liked include the Marx Bros’ films, Shirley Temple’s films, the animated Disney classics, some of the Elvis films, Cliff Richard’s films, Guys and Dolls, Some Like It Hot, The Court Jester, Robin and the Seven Hoods, Jesus Christ Superstar, Grease, Annie, Labyrinth… phew, get the idea that instead of a life I have a television and VCR (DVD player now) ; ]

And yes Arashi222, I have both seen and own on DVD, “Mary Poppins”! But have you seen “Cry-Baby” with Johnny Depp?

Ahhhh yes, "Joe's Apartment". Actually one of the first DVD's I ever bought! Believe it or not, I lent it to a guy just a few weeks back. He likes it and reckons it?s hilarious!

All my brothers tried to tell me I was a girl if I loved musicals but I just told them to piss off, eventually they got the message. hehehe

Some of the others I liked include the Marx Bros? films, Shirley Temple?s films, the animated Disney classics, some of the Elvis films, Cliff Richard?s films, Guys and Dolls, Some Like It Hot, The Court Jester, Robin and the Seven Hoods, Jesus Christ Superstar, Grease, Annie, Labyrinth? phew, get the idea that instead of a life I have a television and VCR (DVD player now) ; ]

And yes Arashi222, I have both seen and own on DVD, ?Mary Poppins?! But have you seen ?Cry-Baby? with Johnny Depp?

Well they shouldn't be that mean you like what you like I mean hell I'm a girl and I used to be in love with the Ghostbusters and GIJoe (and no I was never a big fan of GIJane character).

Ohhh I love the Disney movies Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella, Little Mermaid...Have you seen Anastasia (that is not a Disney movie but it was really good). Oh Oh YOu like Labyrinth with David Bowie? It was a huge obsession for me. I couldn't get enough of it. Actually I loved it so much that my mom bought it for me on DVD so that I could watch it on my computer. AHHH have you seen Pippin? I like Jesus Christ superstar but I like Hair better. I also like Godspell and of course Annie.

I have not seen Cry-baby I am going to have to do that as soon as I get out of my current American Idiot obsession. You should um google American Idiot and watch some of it on Youtube. Though if you're sensitive to strobes and flashing lights do it in small doses.

When there's somethin' strange in your neighborhood! Who ya gonna call? hehehe

Well I no longer really care what anybody says, I figure musicals are there for anybody with a scrap of romance about them! I mean, heaps of blokes made out like bandit doing musicals and the ladies do love a man that can dance :lol:

I just bought another musical from eBay that I have been waiting to see for a long time, it is an Australian film about a retired superhero (of all things); it's called "The Return of Captain Invincible". Now it's probably very silly but, it is a musical nonetheless and it has a superhero in it to boot, did I mention it's an Australian film? It's from the 80's too. Should be good!

When I got the deluxe edition of Labyrinth I watched the special features and it claims that the whole film was aimed at teenage girls to help them through a trying time in a woman’s life and I can see that it may well have been, obviously it struck a chord with you in that way. I love all of Jim Henson's stuff!

Anastasia, Anastasia, I think the villain in that was voiced by Christopher Lloyd, great actor him, top film too but, no, I've never heard of "Pippin" till now. I did see "Godspell" on TV ages ago and didn’t think it was that bad, kind of made me think; "Jesus Christ Superstar" and "The Wiz" if they where mixed together?

"Hairspray" was terrific with Mrs. Travolta HAHA, haven’t seen "Hair", though I will be certain to check it out now.

American Idiot... may have to give it a look seeing as how you've done such a good job of being a living advertising campaign for it

Hey, if you guys (all two of you) after something a little different but still musical, then perhaps switch to a documentary called “Genghis Blues”. It’s an absolutely tremendous film about a blind American blues singer called Paul Pena and he hears this music which is called Tuvan throat singing, on his radio and he falls in love with the sound. Anyhow, he teaches himself Russian via Braille so that he can translate the Tuvan words and understand what he is learning to sing. He eventually goes to Tuva.

GHOSTBUSTERS!!!! (side note I was Egon For Halloween one year as a kid with a real plasma toy gun and a Slimer to boot, if you can picture a girl with blonde hair and glasses being Egon)

Hell ya. Besides I think musicals take more talent than just acting especially if on stage and not on dvd because they actually have to be able to sing and Dance and Act. All in one.

Ooo that musical sounds interesting I will have to check it out. Yes I see that it is from your country. I love things from all over the world so I will defiantly check it out now. Sounds good.

I love Jim Henson's stuff too (the Dark Crystal). But Labyrinth struck a chord with me because it had all the fantasy elements (and David Bowie). I have since I was little kid been into fantasy realms. Often my mom has to remind me that I need to stay in the real world, I often stray back into my head and get easily startled out of it.

As to Anastasia I loved that movie I thought it was well done for the fact that it wasn't a Disney movie and at the time Disney was so big that it was hard to beat them. Ahhh well you should watch Pippin if you can get your hands on it. Its old but in color so not that old. I have never seen the "the Wiz" but I have seen "Jesus Christ Superstar".

I liked HairSpray its a more light movie than say Hair. Hair is more dark more mystical in its portrayal of the world and how it works. But the songs are amazing.

As to American Idiot. Thank you...sorry its bit much its my current big obession as I got to see it live. My mom took me to see it for a Christmas/B-day present. It was so much fun...Besides I love Greenday music so that really helped.

As to American Idiot. Thank you...sorry its bit much its my current big obession as I got to see it live. My mom took me to see it for a Christmas/B-day present. It was so much fun...Besides I love Greenday music so that really helped.

American Idiot... may have to give it a look seeing as how you've done such a good job of being a living advertising campaign for it

Sorry if that sounded disapproving Arashi222, I meant to add ; ] at the end of the line to show it was meant tongue-in-cheek but I got a phone call just then and so I forgot to put one.
I sometimes feel I am surrounded by carbon copies; everybody looks the same, sounds the same and acts the same around here (all yelly and obnoxious), so it’s good to read that people are still passionate about things. That’s probably why I love musicals so much, even when two gangs are about to throw down they can still fit in a musical number ; ]

Nah don't worry about it. I know I can be a bit much for people in terms of my obsessions and honestly I didn't find it harsh at all. I laughed. I kinda figured it out and even if I didn't I would have just pondered it until I asked what you meant.:cute: As to taking a look at it you should. If you like Rock Music and none stop action its a great musical. I would also Recommend RENT. I love that musical as well. I watched the DVD so many times that I had to buy a new one.

As to a nice throw down gang musical I'm all in sign me up! Boy boy crazy boy stay coool boy. Got a Rocket in my pocket stay cool boy...(ahhh how I love that musical).

Eh we all get distracted by things sometimes. I think there is a song for everything, honestly.:cute:

Oh WOW, I cannot believe I left out the manliest of all musicals? ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?.

What? Yes, manly!
It WAS written by ?James Bond? author Ian Fleming, after all.
Well no, actually he wrote the book the screenplay is based on so the film itself is by Roald Dahl! Still manly though!
I mean fair enough, there isn?t a ?Q? gadget anywhere to be seen but, there are gadgets and no car chase through city streets as such but, the heroes get chased by palace guards, so yes, a great film for the fella?s.

That?s probably the only reason that blokes actually settle down ? so they have a legitimate excuse to watch musicals and rom-com?s all night.
Then they just go ahead and have children so they can legitimately watch cartoons and wrestling all weekend ; ]

Last edited:
Oh WOW, I cannot believe I left out the manliest of all musicals? ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?.

What? Yes, manly!
It WAS written by ?James Bond? author Ian Fleming, after all.
Well no, actually he wrote the book the screenplay is based on so the film itself is by Roald Dahl! Still manly though!
I mean fair enough, there isn?t a ?Q? gadget anywhere to be seen but, there are gadgets and no car chase through city streets as such but, the heroes get chased by palace guards, so yes, a great film for the fella?s.

That?s probably the only reason that blokes actually settle down ? so they have a legitimate excuse to watch musicals and rom-com?s all night.
Then they just go ahead and have children so they can legitimately watch cartoons and wrestling all weekend ; ]
Heh, That made me laugh. I like that.

I have actually never seen Chitty Chittyy Bang Bang but I have heard it is good. I have seen Guys and Dolls though. Other than WICKED would u consider the wizard of Oz a musical? I mean it did have musical numbers Oh and what about sound of music oh here is manly musical for you NEWSIES. I loved that movie as a kid. Heh I had a nice soft spot for Spot from that muscial. I have you seen it???

Heh, That made me laugh. I like that.

I have actually never seen Chitty Chittyy Bang Bang but I have heard it is good. I have seen Guys and Dolls though. Other than WICKED would u consider the wizard of Oz a musical? I mean it did have musical numbers Oh and what about sound of music oh here is manly musical for you NEWSIES. I loved that movie as a kid. Heh I had a nice soft spot for Spot from that muscial. I have you seen it???

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is tremendous, if you like Mary Poppins then this is just the ticket for you and yes, The Wizard of Oz is a musical most definitely; I don’t really think there is any other way to define it.
I am gonna buy both “Rent” DVD’s off of eBay because it really does sound good and will also look for “Newsies” now too.

Apparently there’s going to be remakes of a few good ones soon including “Annie” and “Jesus Christ Superstar”, plus a whole raft of new movies like “Cats” and “Starlight Express”. Even “The Color Purple”.

On a last note, I am, without a doubt compelled, to obtain a copy of "Jerry Springer The Opera", if only to see why they would have thought of it in the first place, I don’t even know if his show is still shown in Australia but I used to watch it many years ago and thought it was both hilarious and poignant at the same time.

My favorites:

Cats
Phantom of the Opera
Les Miserables
Annie
Hair
Mamma Mia
Rent
Evita
actually anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber--he rocks!
Oklahoma
South Pacific
The King and I (again, a big Rodgers and Hammerstein fan)
Little Shop of Horrors
The Lion King
Lady and the Tramp (maybe not strictly speaking a musical but I like the songs)

those are just a few. I also enjoy Bollywood musicals as well, such as Bride and Prejudice (a takeoff of Pride and Prejudice)

And of course being in community theater sometimes I actually get to ACT in some of them!!! Rumor has it we may be doing Urinetown in the fall, that ought to be interesting. We are doing Annie this summer. That Jerry Springer one sounds pretty interesting, too, I will have to look for it. I had some neighbors who were on the Jerry Springer show as guests. (They were pretty strange even by trailer park standards).

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom