• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Where are all the Autism/Asperger's support groups?

There's a support group in New England. I went there once. That's why I didn't go there twice.

I even got the money for my membership back after a back and forth with the human resources director who didn't think I was smart enough to hold onto the receipt that she wrote herself.

Sounds like everyone is having difficulty finding a group. Bailey Psychology Group just started promoting a free group for adults and so far I'm the only one that is interested. And it's free and no commitments.

First of all, I want to say Happy belated birthday. I live in Charlotte, NC and looking for supports groups here. There does seem to be more support for children than adults though. I'm in my late 40's and it's going to be a challenge, but I'll try to stay optimistic.

Not sure if anyone really cares, but this is a bit of an update. I mentioned in the OP that there's a support group in a neighboring city that has $180/month membership, but we ended up applying for a scholarship that helps the members of the group pay for that outrageous fee. That was a couple of months back, and about a week ago, we finally got the letter telling us that I had successfully been given the scholarship.

They had a meeting last week on Friday, but I was feeling sick that day. They have meeting every Friday at 4:30pm EST, so I'll be attending the meeting tomorrow evening and I'll probably update this thread to tell everyone how it went. I don't know how it'll go yet, but I've heard some pretty good things about it.

I hope it goes well, and if it does, well, there's a possibility I'll start coming on here less often. If not, well, I'll just let everyone know through this thread. Wish me luck!

There's a support group in New England. I went there once. That's why I didn't go there twice.

I even got the money for my membership back after a back and forth with the human resources director who didn't think I was smart enough to hold onto the receipt that she wrote herself.

Was that AANE or another group? I was going there for a while before they moved to their current location. It's a bit too far and inconvenient for me to travel to and I despise urban areas!

Someone posted on here recently that there is a group that gathers in Raleigh. I'm about 30 miles west of there near Pittsboro N.C.
Do you know the name of the group? I live about an hour and forty minutes from Raleigh.

I wish you good luck.
Wish you were as the group is free and I am the moderator. It is small and in a quaint community setting. Just twice a month, but, it is a chance to be with other Aspies to talk and participate in games and outtings. I enjoy this forum at night.

Um, forgive my intrusion, but this has spiked my curiosity. Would either of you mind going into specifics?
My personal experience, if it is the same group that he has mentioned, was that they were quite patronising and treated me like I was very mentally handicapped as opposed to being on the spectrum.

My personal experience, if it is the same group that he has mentioned, was that they were quite patronising and treated me like I was very mentally handicapped as opposed to being on the spectrum.
And they had the audacity to call that a "support" group? Seems legit. [/sarcasm]

It wasn't run by Autism Speaks, was it?

Was that AANE or another group? I was going there for a while before they moved to their current location. It's a bit too far and inconvenient for me to travel to and I despise urban areas!

That's the one. To get there, I had to go to Harvard Square and take a bus into Watertown. Now, fortunately, Watertown is not a terrible place to visit. I'd go there again on the grounds that it's nice to see a place where the local PD does their job and aren't just jerks with a badge.

And they had the audacity to call that a "support" group? Seems legit. [/sarcasm]

It wasn't run by Autism Speaks, was it?

Yes, I just looked it up, they are a partner of Autism Speaks :/ That figures...

I didn't know that but in retrospect it doesn't surprise me. Pretty much as Jet said, they were very condescending. It felt like a place that caters more strongly to the lower spectrum of autism, as opposed to people who have been independent all their lives and would like just the teeniest bit of support every now and again.

Oh and there's a pizza party. I went to the pizza party and the whole evening I was thinking, "I could have spent my money better by just going to the Old Country Buffet in the Watertown Mall".

It's just a bit painful to Google it only to be led to links which all refer to either childhood autism or different conditions entirely. You just keep looking for adult support groups where there are none to be found.

As if we don't exist. o_O

You just keep looking for adult support groups where there are none to be found.
As if we don't exist. o_O

I think there's three basic questions.

What kind of support group are you looking for?

What are you hoping to get out of regular participation with that group?

Is there any reason you couldn't get one started yourself?

I think there's three basic questions.

What kind of support group are you looking for?

What are you hoping to get out of regular participation with that group?

Is there any reason you couldn't get one started yourself?

I'm not. It's just that at one time or another I was curious to see if they actually existed locally and they don't.

Start one of my own? Never.

New Threads

Top Bottom