• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Where are all the Autism/Asperger's support groups?

Spotty01

Because they're apparently not in N. Carolina.

Lately, I've been working with my therapist and my parents to find support groups, events, and similar things for people on the Spectrum. I've found a single local one that I've heard pretty good things about... but the membership prices are outrageous (about $180/month).

There's only one other, mostly for people with "low-functioning" autism per se, though they have things for people with HFA too. However, it's run by Autism Speaks; enough said, I think.

What I'm wondering is: is this how it is everywhere, with a distinct lack of things in the area for people on the Spectrum? Or was I just born in quite possibly the worst place for somebody with Autism? I'm asking more out of sheer curiosity more than anything else.

Also, I won't be able to reply to many responses for the next day or so; me and my family decided to go on a vacation for my birthday today and my only access to the Internet is through my tablet (which I painstakingly posted this with) and my mobile phone. So don't think I'm ignoring the responses, because I read every last one of them, even if I don't always respond (mostly because I don't know what to say rather than just not wanting to).

That is all. :dogface:

Happy birthday! First, I have to strongly disagree with a support group charging membership rates, especially like that. That kind of rate is completely unnecessary, $180/month is not being used to be self-sustaining - 12 World of Warcraft subscriptions per month is probably being used as a gating mechanism; they're just using that to keep their member pool white and upper-middle class. Disgusting. You don't want to be around people like that anyway.

Second, I'm finding that autism support groups are pretty rare outside major cities. From central Minnesota, I've got the option of 1.5 hours to Fargo or 4 hours to Minneapolis, and that is absolutely it for autism support services in this part of the country.

I'm guessing the reason is a combination of our general scarcity and even more scarce are Aspies who are willing to help themselves. I mean, 15 Aspies in the same room is basically Woodstock; the attendance for my support group in Fargo is usually about 10, and that's for a hub city serving a very wide area.

Are we ever gonna make it?

Happy birthday! First, I have to strongly disagree with a support group charging membership rates, especially like that. That kind of rate is completely unnecessary, $180/month is not being used to be self-sustaining - 12 World of Warcraft subscriptions per month is probably being used as a gating mechanism; they're just using that to keep their member pool white and upper-middle class. Disgusting. You don't want to be around people like that anyway.

Second, I'm finding that autism support groups are pretty rare outside major cities. From central Minnesota, I've got the option of 1.5 hours to Fargo or 4 hours to Minneapolis, and that is absolutely it for autism support services in this part of the country.

I'm guessing the reason is a combination of our general scarcity and even more scarce are Aspies who are willing to help themselves. I mean, 15 Aspies in the same room is basically Woodstock; the attendance for my support group in Fargo is usually about 10, and that's for a hub city serving a very wide area.

Are we ever gonna make it?

Is it inappropriate that i found this funny?
Woodstock? :D
And i can't believe Fargo is a real place...i thought they made that up for the movie (which i loved).

I don't think I'd go to a group meeting... so I'm one of those who are probably not helping those who want/need them. I also think that a significant portion of society is undiagnosed thus the numbers reported are way out and support services are based on need and numbers....

What do you get for the mmbrship fee?
Free transport to and from meetings? Degustation dinner? Showbag?

Happy birthday...hope you got cake:p

The one support group for autism in the area I live in, is for parents and their children. There's nothing else with the exception of 'show' fundraisers for autism speaks.

I hear you. I had to drive 3 hours to find someone to diagnose me. And there is nothing for adults with autism; I guess they assume the kids get "cured" or something...

Someone posted on here recently that there is a group that gathers in Raleigh. I'm about 30 miles west of there near Pittsboro N.C.

I'm in Houston, and there is only one group, but they are geared towards kids, teenagers, and LFA. I have seen a couple of meetups in my area, but again, its only for kids and their parents. There are ABA clinics everywhere, but they are expensive and mostly geared for kids and those who need lots of support. I've recently started a Life Coaching business and included a blurb about guidance for adults with ASD-1 (formerly Asperger's) because there is NOTHING out here for us that doesn't cost an obscene amount of money! I just decided to form something myself...

its very different here,theres quite a lot of aspie groups in manchester,UK including a whole organisation just for HFA/aspies,and i tried asking one of the groups about their inclusion of those of us under the LFA label and they just said everyone was aspie there and would welcome me but probably wouldnt understand.
the group was also up some stairs to,with no lift which for someone like me with a rollator walking aid and a very significant physical disability could not manage.

i have been trying to set my own support group up for a while,ive just not had the support from the right support staff,the one who wants to help me run it is only on on the weekends.
the group will be for the whole spectrum as well as inviting parents but there will be some set times during the meeting when only people on the spectrum can talk and if desired-times where only parents can talk.

its very different here,theres quite a lot of aspie groups in manchester,UK including a whole organisation just for HFA/aspies,and i tried asking one of the groups about their inclusion of those of us under the LFA label and they just said everyone was aspie there and would welcome me but probably wouldnt understand.
the group was also up some stairs to,with no lift which for someone like me with a rollator walking aid and a very significant physical disability could not manage.

i have been trying to set my own support group up for a while,ive just not had the support from the right support staff,the one who wants to help me run it is only on on the weekends.
the group will be for the whole spectrum as well as inviting parents but there will be some set times during the meeting when only people on the spectrum can talk and if desired-times where only parents can talk.
Down here in Cornwall I don't think there's any kind of support groups for those on the spectrum, at least not for adults.

Down here in Cornwall I don't think there's any kind of support groups for those on the spectrum, at least not for adults.
its very odd in the UK isnt it ksheenan ive noticed that to from various UK autists,some towns are very 'with it' and have a lot of support groups, others are very poor with support.

i used to attend a communication difficulties support group which was for LFA and parents,we had a teacher work with us doing art and sensory things and the parents were in another room talking negative crap,i used to hear what they said as i was sat in the hall,rocking happily playing with the sensory toys layed out,one lady and her aspie son came along and she got fed up and said this doesnt help her or her son at all and they never came back,i dont understand why groups cant be about the whole spectrum and not just LFA or HFA.

but its up to us really to get support going,do you think [or not]?
would you like to make your own group ksheenan?
i am sick and tired of waiting for something to happen so im going to make it happen,its not that hard to get a support group going technically, you bother a few places like church halls asking if you can have the place for cheap or free for x amount of time per week/fortnight/month-you tell them what its for and really lay on the concept of supporting autists thick so you might get the place for free,you advertise your group everywhere including social networking in your area,you charge a very small amount to cover the cost of renting the place and youve got a group,technically.

In SE Florida (just north of Miami), the only Aspergers group I found was composed of young people who were not high functioning.
I'm in my mid 80s and was diagnosed a few years ago. I doubt if there is a group for us elders.

Because they're apparently not in N. Carolina.

Lately, I've been working with my therapist and my parents to find support groups, events, and similar things for people on the Spectrum. I've found a single local one that I've heard pretty good things about... but the membership prices are outrageous (about $180/month).

There's only one other, mostly for people with "low-functioning" autism per se, though they have things for people with HFA too. However, it's run by Autism Speaks; enough said, I think.

What I'm wondering is: is this how it is everywhere, with a distinct lack of things in the area for people on the Spectrum? Or was I just born in quite possibly the worst place for somebody with Autism? I'm asking more out of sheer curiosity more than anything else.

Also, I won't be able to reply to many responses for the next day or so; me and my family decided to go on a vacation for my birthday today and my only access to the Internet is through my tablet (which I painstakingly posted this with) and my mobile phone. So don't think I'm ignoring the responses, because I read every last one of them, even if I don't always respond (mostly because I don't know what to say rather than just not wanting to).

That is all. :dogface:
I think www.aspergerexperts.com is charging $1 to join their group. They have a lot of free resources on their site as well as paid programs.

In Seattle WA USA, there is a group named "Square Pegs" that host a support group for adults. The attendance is revolving though discussions are structured, facilitated and open to all input.

I really enjoyed attending as I was able to experience aspie traits in others, in order to recognize the traits within myself as well as my coping mechanisms to separate the two.

We actually have a decent support system in New England. (AANE) However, I'm a misfit among misfits, and there is seldom anything I'm interested in, going on!

In SE Florida (just north of Miami), the only Asbergers group I found was composed of young people who were not high functioning.
I'm in my mid 80s and was diagnosed a few years ago. I doubt if there is a group for us elders.
I'm 60 in Tampa Bay Area. I had difficulty finding anyone to do diagnosis for insurance. Finally in Safety Harbor I found one place for diagnosis, therapy and we are trying to get a group of Aspergers and HFA adults going. So far I am the only member. No charge!

None that I know of in the D/FW area, unless you have a co-morbid disability that hampers functioning even more. My best bet isn't going to be a support group, but something different altogether.

Our numbers are so sparse to begin with as a whole that attendance is going to be an issue, and location is another one - sorry, but I'm not driving hours just to get to one. Good thing we have websites like AC, right?

There was, may still be, a Meetup in St. Louis for ASD adults. There may be others on Meetup in other cities. The groups I see on Meetup rarely succeed, but some that do quite well. Worth a look if you haven't already. I think there was a group in Joplin, Mo too but I can't remember what that was organized through it seems like there were more of them in other places. Though of course not where I live.

Last edited:
Hi, Phyljack1. I have a difficult time sitting at the computer reading much these days, but somehow became interested in this thread & saw your post. So this is mainly to respond to you, (although also for anyone else, of course.) I'm in my early 60s & not-long diagnosed either. I didn't think there would be any my age on a forum like this, so I'm glad to see your post. It made me feel not so "out of it". Not that I'm happy you had to wait so long to be diagnosed, but it did make me realize I should just be grateful to finally have an "explanation" of sorts for why I've been considered so weird my entire life. It's definitely more difficult having A.S. and not knowing it exists than it is to have it with some understanding under your belt, don't you agree?

There was, may still be, a Meetup in St. Louis for ASD adults. There may be others on Meetup in other cities. The groups I see on Meetup rarely succeed, but some that do quite well. Worth a look if you haven't already. I think there was a group in Joplin, Mo too but I can't remember what that was organized through it seems like there were more of them in other places. Though of course not where I live.

It is still in St. Louis so I joined just a bit ago. Doubtful I'll be able to go to an event, but if anyone here is near enough St. Louis, it's called STL Aspies.

I live in a coastal town in Australia and there isn't really any support groups for Adults with Aspergers that I know of I only know of a place that helps kids on the spectrum but that's about it plus no one knows that I'm on the Spectrum besides my Husband and a few relatives.

New Threads

Top Bottom