• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's your ideal home location?

Where would you choose to live, assuming nothing could stop you?

• Urban

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Suburban

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Edge of suburbia

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Country side

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Distant countryside

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • By myself in a forest a million miles from civilisation

Votes: 7 15.6%

• Total voters
Ha, I have a second home in a rural part of the state. I have 30 acres, the neighbors have 20, and their dogs come over to my house to bark and poop.
That is the downside to country life. No cops or policing. Too far for the sheriff to care, unless someone was murdered. My uncle constantly got his cattle stolen by next door neighbor who took them to sell. The judge was taking kick back from the rustler. I need the edge of city limits. Mayors and police chiefs roll over more often as citizens will vote them out. Even the bad people get tired of the really bad ones.

Ha, I have a second home in a rural part of the state. I have 30 acres, the neighbors have 20, and their dogs come over to my house to bark and poop.

We have a similar problem with a neighbor's dogs. We keep a loaded BB gun by the front door to shoot their rear ends when they enter our land. It stings them but doesn't really hurt them. I've become a pretty good shot from target practicing on those &#@)*^ dogs. And the dogs now run when they hear me open the door.

If I could live anywhere, I'd choose Costa Rica - it has mountains, beautiful ocean beaches, good medical care, great food, low cost of living, and friendly people.

Urban. I love the peace and quiet of the countryside for a few days, but I'm a city girl. I couldn't survive living more than a few blocks away from the nearest supermarket and pub (because lazy) and I'd become a hermit if I'd have to travel more than 15 minutes to see my friends.

Luckily I live in a relatively small city with the highest pub-to-popular ratio of the country :D

Out of curiosity if you see this, being in a small city, do you think a big urban city like NYC or LA would be overwhelming, or would you thrive in such density, such a sea of people, or enjoy the conveniences too much?
Or would you prefer to be suburban if it the city is as big as NYC or LA or such or either?
Space limitations and what people are used to are probably a factor for everyone too.

Somewhere I can see open sky, hear a real sea and breathe fresh air.

Somewhere I don’t have to hear children aged 3 + outside their home (next door) squealing and wailing at 21.45hrs while their parents are smoking drugs.

Underground in a urban area.

Realistically I would love to live in an urban area, but also as far away as possible.

When I bought a house a couple of years ago I was honest & upfront with my realtor when she asked me this very question and I told her I wanted three primary things:

1. No HOA's or neighbors with the ability to tell me what to do.
2. A wood burning stove or fireplace.
3. The isolation & privacy to be able to walk out my front door butt naked with a shotgun, fire it in any direction that I choose and not offend, threaten or concern my nearest neighbor.......

She thought I was joking at first, but as we toured houses and she saw what I liked & disliked, she found me exactly what I was looking for ;)

This was pretty much my list too when looking for my current place. I lived in a HOA for 17 years, never again. I ended up with a place on 9 acres with agricultural zoning but no stinky neighboring farms, with a pole barn and woods. Lots of trees for shade and wind blocking, which is important in winter. I considered a woodstove like I had at the old house but I put in a pellet stove. I also wanted a basement (which I got) for natural cooling in summer and easier service of pipes and things. I am 9 miles from town so not too far. I also find it important that my work is right on the near edge of town so I don't have to cross town every day. And the shopping and home centers are on the near edge of another town. Therefore I can haul oversize materials if needed by taking the back roads. The place also came with an 8k Generac, and a binder of all plans, permits, and service. I think I got a little gem, even though it's not a highly appraised property. I bought it with my gf at the time, but she was always a town girl and decided country life wasn't for her, so I bought her out. Yes there are some drawbacks, like no cable or high speed internet, poor TV reception, poor cell signal, no pizza delivery, things like that. None of which was a dealbreaker for me.

Last edited:
I put country side, but since I don't drive that would be a problem. Country side where there's still a bus? :rolleyes:

I live in the middle of a big city ATM and while fun it's not very autism friendly. Whenever there's big events I get very unhappy or run away.

Out of curiosity if you see this, being in a small city, do you think a big urban city like NYC or LA would be overwhelming, or would you thrive in such density, such a sea of people, or enjoy the conveniences too much?
Or would you prefer to be suburban if it the city is as big as NYC or LA or such or either?
Space limitations and what people are used to are probably a factor for everyone too.
I would be completely overwhelmed.

New Threads

Top Bottom