• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What subtype of autistic are you?

I thought it described me well, but there were to few questions to reduce the influence of questions eliciting the wrong answers.

There were a few where two choices were very accurate.

I took the test for my 6.5 y/o son. Here's what he got:

60% Active but Odd
20% Stilted
10% Aloof
10% Passive

That sounds about right, though I'd probably put a little more weight on the "active but odd" category. He can be hilarious, but he just doesn't know when to stop. He has absolutely no reservation talking to anyone if there is something about that person or about what that person is doing that interests him... and it is almost impossible to get him to stop.

It seems people scoring high on the "active but odd" type are somewhat uncommon here. I wonder why that is? Maybe diagnosis is more difficult, since highly extroverted isn't something people typically associate with autism spectrum disorders.

It is interesting that the "active but odd" type is associated with "higher visual-spatial abilities." My son's ability to locate small details/items in a complicated environment is nigh superhuman (unless he's looking for some lego piece he's lost, in which case the resulting meltdown acts like kryptonite and negates all superpowers.)

Last edited:
50%Aloof
Aloof is more common in nonverbal Autistics. May appear to be disengaged but really have a very sensory way of processing the world around them. Aloof types may take longer to process input than other types of personalities. Independence may be difficult to achieve. Typical "spikey cognitive profile". Aloof types are deeply sensory and incredibly in tune with their environments.

40%Stilted

This group almost appears neurotypical. They are often actors and have perfected and practiced the art of passing. They share the same idiosyncrasies as other Autistics and may appear to be slightly "off". This type holds meltdowns in until they get home. They are more concerned with social propriety than other Autistic personality types, and may not have the insight to see their own emotional reactions.

10%Passive
Gentle, suggestible and easily led, the Passive type shares some similarities with the Aloof type, such as seeming disengaged when attempting to process input and a spikey cognitive profile, though they struggle less than the Aloof type with both issues. They are perseverative thinkers and their passivity may manifest through delayed echolalia. This type are introverts and need time to recuperate after socializing. Emotionally sensitive, passive types may react very visibly and strongly when overstimulated, especially through anger and sorrow.
Passives are usually gentle, generous and friendly, but can quickly become distressed.

Parts of this are somewhat correct in a general hit or miss way. I'm quite independent so that's erroneous, and insightful as it relates to my own and others emotions. Neurology is not a 'one size fits all' but an interesting test.

60% stilted, 30% passive, 10% aloof
Seems to confirm my suspicions as to not fitting in with either camp.

Last edited:
60% Passive
20% Active but Odd
20% Aloof

Dubious about the limited questions...but general questions with general overview seems ok.
Sounds about right though...

Kind of like a horoscope: read into it what you will.

50%Aloof
Aloof is more common in nonverbal Autistics. May appear to be disengaged but really have a very sensory way of processing the world around them. Aloof types may take longer to process input than other types of personalities. Independence may be difficult to achieve. Typical "spikey cognitive profile". Aloof types are deeply sensory and incredibly in tune with their environments.

30%Passive
Gentle, suggestible and easily led, the Passive type shares some similarities with the Aloof type, such as seeming disengaged when attempting to process input and a spikey cognitive profile, though they struggle less than the Aloof type with both issues. They are perseverative thinkers and their passivity may manifest through delayed echolalia. This type are introverts and need time to recuperate after socializing. Emotionally sensitive, passive types may react very visibly and strongly when overstimulated, especially through anger and sorrow.

Passives are usually gentle, generous and friendly, but can quickly become distressed.

20%Active but Odd
Active But Odd is a common personality type among Autistics. In Early development, many active but odd types may fit into Kanner's profile and many into Asperger's. Many make persistent but peculiar attempts at reaching people. May be verbally repetitive. This type is great at rote memory and repetition of large swathes of facts.

Everyone educated enough in autism knows despite sharing a lot of similarities, we are all different.

Lorna Wing described autistic people as being in one or in a few categories. They are:

Aloof
Most frequent subtype among the lower functioning. Most high-functioning in this group are a mixture of aloof and passive. Limited language use. Copes with life using autistic routines. Most are recognised in childhood. Independence is difficult to achieve. There may be loneliness and sadness beneath the aloofness. Rain Man is an excellent example of this subgroup.

Passive
Often amiable, gentle, and easily led. Those passive rather than aloof from infancy may fit AS. More likely than the aloof to have had a mainstream education, and their psych skill profiles are less uneven. Social approaches passively accepted (little response or show of feelings). Characteristic autistic egocentricity less obvious in this group than in others. Activities are limited and repetitive, but less so than other autistics. Can react with unexpected anger or distress. Recognition of their autism depends more on observing the absence of the social and creative aspects of normal development than the presence of positive abnormalities. The general amenability is an advantage in work, and they are reliable, but sometimes their passivity and naivete can cause great problems. If undiagnosed, parents and teachers may be disappointed they cannot keep a job at the level predicted from their school work.

Active-but-odd
Can fall in any of the other groups in early childhood. Some show early developmental course of Kanner’s, some show AS. Some have the characteristic picture of higher visuospatial abilities, others have better verbal scores (mainly due to wide vocabulary and memory for facts). May be specific learning disorders (e.g., numerical). School placement often difficult. They show social naivete, odd, persistent approaches to others, and are uncooperative in uninteresting tasks. Diagnosis often missed. Tend to look at people too long and hard. Circumscribed interests in subjects are common.

Stilted
Few, if any clues to the underlying subtle handicap upon first meeting. The features of AS are particularly frequent. Early histories vary. Normal range of ability with some peaks of performance. Polite and conventional. Manage well at work. Sometimes pompous and long-winded style of speech. Problems arise in family relationships, where spontaneity and empathy are required. Poor judgement as to the relative importance of different demands on their time. Characteristically pursue interests to the exclusion of everything and everyone else. May have temper tantrums or aggression if routine broken at home, but are polite at work. Diagnosis very often missed. Most attend mainstream schools. Independence achieved in most cases. This group shades into the eccentric end of normality.

There is a 10 question quiz you can take to help determine if you're not sure. The link is at the bottom of this page. Be aware though that they do want your email address at the end - that's how they get you. Give them an old email address or try a 10 minute mail address

Sadly, each sub-type given is a negative......I am currently trying to lift my self-esteem as an adult with AS.
I've got to choose, "None of the Above"

I have no autism diagnosis, but my results were as follows:

Passive 60%
Stilted 30%
Aloof 10%

I realize that in adulthood I am probably a lot more "stilted", whereas in childhood I was more passive or aloof. I think a lot of this has to do with acquiring social skills and learning what is expected as I grew older.

One question that really hit home was, "In school, you Struggled with a spikey cognitive profile. You were learning disabled, but also gifted. You were a quiet kid but one who teachers thought was defiant."
While I was never classified as "gifted" my teachers definitely had difficulty reconciling my uneven cognitive profile, and I was frequently singled out for being "defiant" when to my knowledge I was doing everything that was asked of me.

Based on your answers, you can see your result below

60%Passive

20%Aloof

10%Active but Odd
Active But Odd is a common personality type among Autistics. In Early development, many active but odd types may fit into Kanner's profile and many into Asperger's. Many make persistent but peculiar attempts at reaching people. May be verbally repetitive. This type is great at rote memory and repetition of large swathes of facts.

10%Stilted
This group almost appears neurotypical. They are often actors and have perfected and practiced the art of passing. They share the same idiosyncrasies as other Autistics and may appear to be slightly "off". This type holds meltdowns in until they get home. They are more concerned with social propriety than other Autistic personality types, and may not have the insight to see their own emotional reactions.

In some of the questions, I could have answered yes to two or more of the options.

This was interesting. I scored:

40% Aloof
40% Stilted
20% Passive

For the most part, the results are pretty spot on. I didn't agree with some of the answers and just had to pick ones that I least disagreed with. But, overall, I probably fall into these three categories.

I'm very aloof from a lot of things. So, that sounds about right. It does take me longer to process things. But I wouldn't say that I'm deeply sensory or incredibly in tune with my environment. And I don't think that I have a problem with independence since I live independently now.

The stilted description is right since I've really "practiced the art of passing." But I usually get the reaction from people that something is slightly off about me. The part about meltdowns is very true. I do struggle with seeing or understanding my own emotional reactions quite often too.

For passive, I don't experience echolalia. But I am extremely introverted and need lots of time to recuperate after socializing. Emotionally sensitive? Um, maybe... I do react pretty strongly outwardly when overstimulated, especially when stressed or depressed.

how well I "act neurotypical." Interesting though! I like taking a quiz that assumes ASD and organizes people into subtypes, rather than quizzes that just separate neurotypical from autistic.

Agreed. Asperger's and autism are wildly broad diagnoses and we are all different, comparing why one person is on the spectrum to you isn't very helpful at times for that reason. That was why I struggled to accept it myself, it felt like everyone else's reason was valid but mine wasn't. And no one was clearly telling me why I was on now put onto the spectrum. So seeing things like this is helpful, and I hope it helps others to accept themselves too.

Happy birthday by the way.

It seems people scoring high on the "active but odd" type are somewhat uncommon here. I wonder why that is? Maybe diagnosis is more difficult, since highly extroverted isn't something people typically associate with autism spectrum disorders.

I don't think so. I've before quite good at 'spot the autistic' as my voluntary job and I can say that it's the 'active but odd' ones who stick out the most. At least to me.

I don't know why more people here are in the passive category. It might come down to a desire to talk to other people similar to them. Or maybe the 'active but odd' ones are just a bit rarer to come across!

My son's ability to locate small details/items in a complicated environment is nigh superhuman (unless he's looking for some lego piece he's lost, in which case the resulting meltdown acts like kryptonite and negates all superpowers.)

Ah, god! Don't try to get me to look for the salt, scissors or tape in my house, it could be right blank in front of me and I will still miss it!

I got 50% Stilted, 30% Aloof and 20% Passive.

Stilted makes the most sense because that's how I am now. You would struggle to see me as autistic nowadays, I can come across as quite capable, socially.

Aloof makes sense too at this percentage too; I was non-verbal until I was 4, and independence is hard for me at some degree. I have the capacity to do daily living but I have a lot holding me back from achieving wider things like going places and being on my own - anxiety holds me back in this sense although I can do it to a very limited degree at the moment.

And lastly Passive was also very true for me. I needed a lot of time to recover from being around friends and school. I was echolalic when I was learning to talk, and I still do delayed echolalia when I'm alone or under my breath, mostly lines from programmes or games. But I know it's seen as an odd behaviour so I don't do it out loud any more. I was also disengaged from a lot of stuff and people before I decided I wanted medication. I do not get angry really, I do tend to bottle it up though instead, but I am emotionally sensitive.

I would say this describes me quite well.

My results were exactly the same as yours, and I'd describe myself the same as you. Years and years of practicing social interaction, not realizing my own limitations all the while, and I come across as 'normal' even extroverted until you get to know me better. Also I never knew echolalia was a thing until post-diagnosis--so that's why people looked at me funny so often! I repeat movie lines (under my breath or alone, now) so often I don't even remember they are movie lines or from what movies.

This is interesting, but I am reluctant to bother with the quiz as I cannot find the original literature which includes the "stilted" category. The descriptions for each category seem to have been recurrently cited from one of the forums on Wrong Planet. And the psychology publications' descriptions of the other three categories are different, to the point that I identify with different categories depending on the source description.

As near as I can tell, Lorna Wing identified three subtypes: aloof, passive, and active-but-odd.
https://www.theactgroup.com.au/documents/1469-7610.00389.pdf
Or:
Social Interaction Style of Children and Adolescents with High-Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder

The only professional reference I found for "stilted" was this category "overly formal and stilted" in a glossary from Jessica Kingsley Publishers: http://www.jkp.com/media/wysiwyg/Re...e-21st-Century-Glossary-978-1-84905-087-6.pdf
That description doesn't really fit me, I am no longer very formal except with people I do not know, whereas the description in the quiz feels more accurate on many points.

Can anyone identify the original / accepted sources for all these subtypes and their associated descriptions?

Thanks for this, it was very interesting and spot on!:) My biggest 'disability' is my naivete and the subsequent attraction of people constantly trying to take advantage.

I scored
60% Passive
20% Aloof
10% Active but Odd
10% Stilted.

New Threads

Top Bottom