• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What subtype of autistic are you?

Southern Discomfort

Smarter than the Average Bear
V.I.P Member
Everyone educated enough in autism knows despite sharing a lot of similarities, we are all different.

Lorna Wing described autistic people as being in one or in a few categories. They are:

Aloof
Most frequent subtype among the lower functioning. Most high-functioning in this group are a mixture of aloof and passive. Limited language use. Copes with life using autistic routines. Most are recognised in childhood. Independence is difficult to achieve. There may be loneliness and sadness beneath the aloofness. Rain Man is an excellent example of this subgroup.

Passive
Often amiable, gentle, and easily led. Those passive rather than aloof from infancy may fit AS. More likely than the aloof to have had a mainstream education, and their psych skill profiles are less uneven. Social approaches passively accepted (little response or show of feelings). Characteristic autistic egocentricity less obvious in this group than in others. Activities are limited and repetitive, but less so than other autistics. Can react with unexpected anger or distress. Recognition of their autism depends more on observing the absence of the social and creative aspects of normal development than the presence of positive abnormalities. The general amenability is an advantage in work, and they are reliable, but sometimes their passivity and naivete can cause great problems. If undiagnosed, parents and teachers may be disappointed they cannot keep a job at the level predicted from their school work.

Active-but-odd
Can fall in any of the other groups in early childhood. Some show early developmental course of Kanner’s, some show AS. Some have the characteristic picture of higher visuospatial abilities, others have better verbal scores (mainly due to wide vocabulary and memory for facts). May be specific learning disorders (e.g., numerical). School placement often difficult. They show social naivete, odd, persistent approaches to others, and are uncooperative in uninteresting tasks. Diagnosis often missed. Tend to look at people too long and hard. Circumscribed interests in subjects are common.

Stilted
Few, if any clues to the underlying subtle handicap upon first meeting. The features of AS are particularly frequent. Early histories vary. Normal range of ability with some peaks of performance. Polite and conventional. Manage well at work. Sometimes pompous and long-winded style of speech. Problems arise in family relationships, where spontaneity and empathy are required. Poor judgement as to the relative importance of different demands on their time. Characteristically pursue interests to the exclusion of everything and everyone else. May have temper tantrums or aggression if routine broken at home, but are polite at work. Diagnosis very often missed. Most attend mainstream schools. Independence achieved in most cases. This group shades into the eccentric end of normality.

There is a 10 question quiz you can take to help determine if you're not sure. The link is at the bottom of this page. Be aware though that they do want your email address at the end. Give them an old email address or try a 10 minute mail address

I got 50% Stilted, 30% Aloof and 20% Passive.

Stilted makes the most sense because that's how I am now. You would struggle to see me as autistic nowadays, I can come across as quite capable, socially.

Aloof makes sense too at this percentage too; I was non-verbal until I was 4, and independence is hard for me at some degree. I have the capacity to do daily living but I have a lot holding me back from achieving wider things like going places and being on my own - anxiety holds me back in this sense although I can do it to a very limited degree at the moment.

And lastly Passive was also very true for me. I needed a lot of time to recover from being around friends and school. I was echolalic when I was learning to talk, and I still do delayed echolalia when I'm alone or under my breath, mostly lines from programmes or games. But I know it's seen as an odd behaviour so I don't do it out loud any more. I was also disengaged from a lot of stuff and people before I decided I wanted medication. I do not get angry really, I do tend to bottle it up though instead, but I am emotionally sensitive.

I would say this describes me quite well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170422-231902.png
    Screenshot_20170422-231902.png
    290.5 KB · Views: 601
  • Screenshot_20170422-231855.png
    Screenshot_20170422-231855.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 587
40%Active but Odd
Active But Odd is a common personality type among Autistics. In Early development, many active but odd types may fit into Kanner's profile and many into Asperger's. Many make persistent but peculiar attempts at reaching people. May be verbally repetitive. This type is great at rote memory and repetition of large swathes of facts.

40%Aloof
Aloof is more common in nonverbal Autistics. May appear to be disengaged but really have a very sensory way of processing the world around them. Aloof types may take longer to process input than other types of personalities. Independence may be difficult to achieve. Typical "spikey cognitive profile". Aloof types are deeply sensory and incredibly in tune with their environments.

20%Passive
Gentle, suggestible and easily led, the Passive type shares some similarities with the Aloof type, such as seeming disengaged when attempting to process input and a spikey cognitive profile, though they struggle less than the Aloof type with both issues. They are perseverative thinkers and their passivity may manifest through delayed echolalia. This type are introverts and need time to recuperate after socializing. Emotionally sensitive, passive types may react very visibly and strongly when overstimulated, especially through anger and sorrow.

Passives are usually gentle, generous and friendly, but can quickly become distressed.

I wouldn't say I'm easily led anymore, but my god is that true of when I was a teenager :rolleyes:

EDIT: Also, thanks @Southern Discomfort for the suggestion of using a 10 minute email address!

80%Passive
Gentle, suggestible and easily led, the Passive type shares some similarities with the Aloof type, such as seeming disengaged when attempting to process input and a spikey cognitive profile, though they struggle less than the Aloof type with both issues. They are perseverative thinkers and their passivity may manifest through delayed echolalia. This type are introverts and need time to recuperate after socializing. Emotionally sensitive, passive types may react very visibly and strongly when overstimulated, especially through anger and sorrow.

Passives are usually gentle, generous and friendly, but can quickly become distressed.

10%Active but Odd
Active But Odd is a common personality type among Autistics. In Early development, many active but odd types may fit into Kanner's profile and many into Asperger's. Many make persistent but peculiar attempts at reaching people. May be verbally repetitive. This type is great at rote memory and repetition of large swathes of facts.

10%Stilted
This group almost appears neurotypical. They are often actors and have perfected and practiced the art of passing. They share the same idiosyncrasies as other Autistics and may appear to be slightly "off". This type holds meltdowns in until they get home. They are more concerned with social propriety than other Autistic personality types, and may not have the insight to see their own emotional reactions.

Hm... interesting. I think I probably agree.

60%Passive

20%Aloof
Aloof is more common in nonverbal Autistics. May appear to be disengaged but really have a very sensory way of processing the world around them. Aloof types may take longer to process input than other types of personalities. Independence may be difficult to achieve. Typical "spikey cognitive profile". Aloof types are deeply sensory and incredibly in tune with their environments.

20%Stilted
This group almost appears neurotypical. They are often actors and have perfected and practiced the art of passing. They share the same idiosyncrasies as other Autistics and may appear to be slightly "off". This type holds meltdowns in until they get home. They are more concerned with social propriety than other Autistic personality types, and may not have the insight to see their own emotional reactions.

80%Aloof

20%Passive

i agree with everything i understand-i am totally aloof and in my own world and i have such an impaired visual processing system that i learn through my other senses so its true i have a very sensory way of processing the world,quite a few of the words they have used i do not understand,so i am going to have to look at the e-dictionary when i get home.

Well this was unexpected, where did you find out about that site? Nice suggestion though.
The 10 minute email accounts this just popped back into my head. I watch - or more aptly used to watch BBC Click, a tech programme. They mentioned about them. A useful way to get around spammers getting your email or to deal with large amount of people if you happen to have a following! Years back they mentioned them now.

Last edited:
i agree with everything i understand-i am totally aloof and in my own world and i have such an impaired visual processing system that i learn through my other senses so its true i have a very sensory way of processing the world,quite a few of the words they have used i do not understand,so i am going to have to look at the e-dictionary when i get home.

Yeah, I had a feeling you'd get mostly aloof given your development history. Interesting.

I didn't take the test, but looking at the descriptions, I see pieces of myself in the passive description, and pieces of myself in the silted description.

50% passive
30% stilted
20% aloof

That's what I got but, like most personality quizzes, I don't think this one got me quite right. I might give a first impression of "suggestible" and "easily led" but anyone who gets to know me will find out that I am very skeptical of most everything and nobody is easily leading me anywhere I don't want to go. I do have a spikey cognitive profile though.

Anyhoo, it's obvious from this forum alone that 4 sub-types isn't enough.

I got 60% aloof, 20% passive, and 10% for stilted and active-but-odd. Strange result for only 10 questions. The aloof part I can agree with somewhat - I default to sensory first, then verbal second. Environment comes first and everything else is optional, I can relate to that a LOT. I don't know about the processing input; I can drive a car without trouble, for example, so visual isn't much of a problem; verbal input can drive me nuts though.

If it were more in-depth it would be better and more accurate - or maybe it's true after all. I could care less either way.

Last edited:
40% Passive
40% Aloof
10% Active-but-Odd
10% Stilted

I totally agree with all of them, but surprised to see such strong numbers for Aloofness.

New Threads

Top Bottom