• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What stage do you feel it's was the most difficult one; childhood, adolescence, or adulthood?

I think adolescence is the most difficult part of one's life IN GENERAL.

It's a part of time when older people suddenly start to hate you with no apparent reason (only because you're not a kid). You're constantly frustrated and under 'those' hormones. The worst part is that your family starts to hate you and the feeling becomes mutual. And then there's school which now appears stupid and boring...

That aside, this is still a very subjective question. However, in childhood your lack of intelligence makes you happy like some kind of a hallucinogenic drug, whilst in adulthood you at least know who you are as person and you gain full freedom.

Adolescence is a gray zone.

14-18, hands down. Too old to play with the fun stuff and too young to be respected but everybody still expects you to have every last responsibility of an adult. And nobody can give a good explanation on how all that boring garbage is going to be useful later in life. Diagramming sentences has yet to provide any benefit to my life whatsoever.

Childhood to early adolescence is pretty hard I think. You just do not have the experience or tools to deal with so many of the issues that come up. Things that as an adult you brush off or just spend some time with your special interest to regenerate would have not occurred to me as a child and so I would take things very hard. For example, if someone was teasing me that I still was playing with my Barbies at 13 I would go home and cry. But if that were me today, I would say I play with Barbies so what.

Adolescence was by far the most difficult stage for me. I felt the greatest sense of isolation during this time, and "acted out" the most. As a teen, I started cutting myself, was in and out of a mental hospital, did drugs, was put on prescription drugs, and otherwise went "crazy".
Things got a little better as an adult, but I developed an eating disorder and failed at relationship after relationship. I found myself in an abusive relationship in my late 20s, managed to get out and am now married to the most tolerant and supportive man on Earth. Right now is the BEST stage of my life, though the bar was set pretty low in my past. In spite of it all, I still naively hope the best is yet to come.

Adolescence was definately a difficult period. If someone said "You can be 15 again" I would say 'no thanks'. Once was more then enough.

Adulthood has has ups and downs but with maturity and experience I at least feel like I have the mental tools to work my way thru the difficult stretches.

Adolescence was definately a difficult period. If someone said "You can be 15 again" I would say 'no thanks'. Once was more then enough.

Adulthood has has ups and downs but with maturity and experience I at least feel like I have the mental tools to work my way thru the difficult stretches.

That goes with the statement 'High school is the best time of your life'. When my mother said that, I choked on my breakfast.

Early childhood was hell.
Late childhood; lots of fun times.
Teenagehood like a wet towel
Early adulthood; lots of fun times.
Mid twenties; crisis time.
Now, I'm fine.

Definitely adolescence, ages 12-18 was by far the worst time for me. As a child no one really cared that I was a bit odd, I had 1 close friend, everyone else ignored me, and I cared more about my special interests than other people. When I was 11 the other children started noticing that I was weird, and I was bullied throughout secondary and high school, developed Social Anxiety and Major Depression. Once I left school things got a lot better, and by the time I reached the "young adult" stage I has recovered from depression and coping well with my anxiety, and generally happy with life.

I think adolescence is generally a difficult time for most people, what with out of control hormones, peer pressure, and an increased desire for both acceptance and independence. Teen-aged angst sucks for everyone :p

That goes with the statement 'High school is the best time of your life'. When my mother said that, I choked on my breakfast.

haha 'High school is the best time of your life'. I've always found this statement rather sad. I mean, even if you do really enjoy highschool, for a time dominated by lack of independence, ignorance, shallowness and immature idiocy to be the best time of your life must mean that the following 60 or so years have to be pretty miserable.

I think that all stages present different challenges. Adolescence was really rough. I only had one good friend at any one time and my family moved a lot so I was always the new, weird kid at school. I ended up going to four different elementary schools, three different middle schools and two different high schools.

Adulthood brings it's own challenges as a lot of my interests are different from others. Some of this can be attributed to being geeky/nerdy.

Adolescence was horrible. Several of you have written things to which I can relate. But I always consoled myself with the thought that when everyone else matured it would get better, that they would stop being horrible because adults don't do that sort of thing. Which of course is utter b****cks. Adults can be just as cruel, but they're sneakier with it and less likely to get caught/have repercussions. So I'll say adulthood I think. All the same crap as adolescence, plus all the added responsibilities, minus the hope of things improving.

Childhood. It always seemed that other people thought I was wrong to like what I liked or doing what made me happy. School was terror. I hated every single day of it and that didn't change even to the end of high school. I felt tormented by the other kids. I could not understand the social rules that they had or seem to intuitively know. The rest of the kids always knew what to do and I would stare like watching a play and every week I would try to learn some new rule. In school I spent everyday trying to survive. It seemed the kids made fun of me for everything including do well in class. I stopped doing well so they would leave me alone and I spent as much time as I could avoiding any other children or the adults even.

I think I am the only one who read all the Hardy Boys books in our tiny library. The books were old but seemed untouched.

The jungle gym/outdoor are was the worst. When it was time for recess all my warning systems turned on instantly. I looked everywhere for bullies. Childhood was very bad and I wouldn't wish it on anyone though it seems some people had happy childhoods. I wish everyone did. Bullies at school can ruin your life. Parents telling you to fight back, teachers hinting the same. All the kids seemed ready to pounce on any other kid at any moment if they did something they could make fun of or even if they did something they normally did but this week it wasn't 'cool'. Why were they so mean or was it some kind of normalcy I just couldn't understand? I do not think I will figure that out.

I worry a lot for autistic kids in school now, facing bullies every day. So many adults seem not to know how horrible bullying can be.

Anyhow, childhood was the hardest. Being an adult is confusing and I have had my problems but at least I can keep myself away from people and that is a choice I didn't have as a child. That has been the greatest benefit of being an adult.

Adulthood, no doubt. I struggled so much with anxiety and depression since leaving school, not being able to adapt to life, get the job I want and find myself. My life just feels so utterly FUBARed.

I've stated before that adulthood has been far more challenging than any point in childhood for me, and that still stands. But there have been two periods in adulthood that stand out. My current state, middle age, in a relationship, have a kid, own a house makes me a nervous wreck quite often, but I seem to be able to bounce back and keep going. I have developed an "I don't care" attitude that keeps me from getting too caught up in the drama and veiled competition of social life. So I have to say that early adulthood was the worst, college age specifically.

I had believed that going to college was going to be where I could break out, seek and find my calling, then get on with applying my abilities. And college kids were going to be more mature, so social life would be much easier. I had scored quite high on SAT test, was graduating near the top of my 400 student high school class, and had been accepted to every school I applied to, including some rather selective schools. Nothing but up, it seemed to me.

College was a disaster. Social life was really hard for me, I was really lost, even though I had chosen a small private school so that I might have a better chance finding some friends. I fell in with some oddballs who seemed to be able to drink and party hard and still manage to get good grades. I floundered. I couldn't cope with a full schedule of classes; in order to afford the school, I had to work as much as I could, and the stress led me to binge drinking once a week.

Before I was asked to leave after my second year, I had recognized my drinking problem and drastically altered my drinking pattern, thought my grades would improve, but I was so very isolated and completely mystified by campus life, I didn't turn things around. I was relieved they kicked me out, even though I burned up a lot of money to learn a very hard lesson.

I went on to work full time in the field of my interests, taking a course here and there that interested me at the huge public university in town. I really liked the complete anonymity it provided. I almost never had anyone in more than one class, rarely had the same professor more than once. I never graduated, but I found a way to enjoy the learning process in my own way, and find a great benefit to post secondary education. Grades were inconsequential, what I got out of each class mattered only to me.

This brought about what I might call my golden age, mid twenties to mid thirties. It wasn't so great in retrospect, but I managed to go through life without too much awareness that there was something not quite right with me. I just pursued interests when time and money provided. I felt I was following my true path, unconventional, but my own none the less. It worked, at least until I started to notice that I was falling behind even some of my most weird, misfit friends.

Cue middle aged me.

Last edited:
Definitely childhood, school in particular was a pain in the arse, mainly due to having the woman from hell as the Head of the "Unit" at Secondary school, Mrs Sandra Freeman.

Adolescence. While I knew I was 'odd' as a small child it really didn't bother me too much, then I got to the last class of primary and that was the start of the serious bullying and from there the severe mental health problems and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS which was never taken particularly seriously or even properly documented in my medical records). Culminating in me marrying a manipulative wannabe svengali figure and closeted drug addict at 17. Stuff that happened as a teen has overshadowed the rest of my life since.

I guess I've struggled ever since pre-school, but elementary was deffinitely the worst phase of my life. Most of the other children hated me and I returned the favor. I also found the work difficult and uninteresting and mostly lived in my own world. Most teachers presumed I was uninteligent because I it was my tendancy to gaze around the room rather than looking directly at the teacher or my peers. To an extent I validated their innitial assessment by getting mostly sub-standard grades, but I also mystified them by demonstrating that I was very bright in some ways, even if I was laging behind my peers in many respects.

Especially in my earlier years I was constantly undergoing special testing as they attempted to determine why I was struggling. They never managed to come up with anything more definative than "a rare form of dyslexia, maybe?", and my results ranged from "bright" to "this child will never be able to live on [their] own." I was always working with the teacher's aides in an attempt to catch up with my peers, and I felt some resentment about this, especially as I felt that my peers were idiots and I was above them. Other kids thought I was retarded and would say as much.

The playground was terrible. Kids would tease me and exclude me, and often I didn't know why. Then again, I didn't really like playing with big groups of kids as I found one on one interactions more fulfilling. I would try to befriend new kids but soon they would become part of the in crowd and I would be left on my own. I spent a lot of time paceing the parimeter of the school grounds, shaking my coat strings and having deep thoughts about the nature of suffering, or dreaming up other worlds and the workings of their societies. Younger childeren would chase me around and call me "no brain" - I would ignore them, much to their delight.

In late elementary even my teachers would bully me. My first grade six teacher would lock me out in the hall to finish late assignments. When I completed them I would bring them in to be marked, and he would tell me to come back later, over and over again. So eventually I lost faith that he even wanted to mark my work and just spent all day out in the hall. At the end of the day we would have to write a "reflections sheet" where we would recount everything we had learned that day. I would quite honestly write down "nothing" only to bet told this was incorrect and that I had to try again. I would then be told, piecemeal, what the other students had done in class. With every iteration of my reflection sheet I would be told I missed something and be told to write it again. He would do other cruel things, like calling me to the front of the class and saying, "Congratulations on your homework! You will find you scored a nice round number.", and on the assignment were written the words, "Good Job! 0%".

Thankfully I transfered to an other school for the second half of grade six and had a much better time of it. I actually have rather fond memories of that time as my teacher was fantastic and made school fun, which was rather novel for me. I also befirended a brainy loner and we would spend our time walking around and discussing science, video games, and classical music.

In junior high I began to get good grades and was very pleased with myself for proving the jerks in elementary wrong, that I actually did have a brain in my head. I was still a loner though, and found the behaviour of my peers rather disturbing. I didn't understand what was wrong with them until after the fact when I realized their aggression, obsession with sex, and contentious social highrarchies were merely symptoms of puberty. I seemed to be mostly unaffected by this mania and focused on studying and dreaming up utopian societies. I also had a chronic stutter and was still bullied, but I at least had a sense of self worth, which was a huge improvement.

In high school my stutter was deminished, but still present. The school I went to was mostly bully free, so I was much more comfortable there. Unfortunately my grades began to slide, and I took this very hard as I had invested much of my self worth in my acedemic achievement. I wanted to be more social at this time as I decided my peers weren't so bad, but outside of a clique of outcasts (among a school of outcasts) I really didn't know how to socialize and would freeze up when I tried to approach people. Factor in gender dysphoria and I deffinitely had my issues. It wasn't all bad though. I had one really good friend at school and I really enjoyed most of my classes. I also started playing in bands and got involved in some cool art projects. Ultimately this was way more fun than elementary and middle school.

Adulthood has probably been the best phase of my life, but it also features some of my deepest periods of depression. I like the autonomy and the fact that I am free to seek out my own people rather than being forced so socialize with people I don't like (for the most part). I've managed to participate in some really great community building and activist projects, record a few albums, and do some really important work supporting people with disabilities. I'm struggling right now, but I am hopefull that I can get back on track.

Mine was a cross between my childhood and teenage years. It was only until I turned 20 years old that life started to turn around for me. When I was a teenage, my relationship with my parents was bumpy and aggressive. I was getting into a lot of trouble too.

I am now a mature responsible adult, I am well connected to the elements and society, and I am good at obeying the laws of the UK and I strive well to succeed in college.

I have just recently turned 21 years of age, but I still look back at the worst of times in my life occaisionly. I hope this helps.

New Threads

Top Bottom