• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What makes you cry?

(I don't understand that either because people are only really doing that for themselves..the dead people won't know?)

Think it's sometimes a gesture, when people are affected by something in some way that makes them angry or sad that they have no control over. Like a tribute, but also a way for them to mourn an occurrence that affects them.

For example when the people at the mosque in quebec city were killed, many local people placed flowers and notes to let the survivors know that they were in sympathy with the people who mourned them, and that they didn't agree with what happened. To let them know they were not alone. It's probably a way for people to not feel powerless by doing something.

Last edited:
Think it's sometimes a gesture, when people are affected by something in some way that makes them angry or sad that they have no control over. Like a tribute, but also a way for them to mourn an occurrence that affects them.

For example when the people at the mosque in quebec city were killed, many local people placed flowers and notes to let the survivors know that they were in sympathy with the people who mourned them, and that they didn't agree with what happened. To let them know they were not alone. It's probably a way for people to not feel powerless by doing something.

Thank you for explaining! That makes sense I guess.

That makes sense I guess.
I'm still not quite sure why people do things like that. When musicians or even writers die that people liked, they feel some sort of personal connection to them. Something they sang or wrote made them think or feel something. So that might be why they react in some way.

When it's someone that they never knew, a stranger on the news, I'm not quite clear on the resultant behavior somehow. It seems oddly manufactured to me, like a social construct. Something you're supposed to do.

Last edited:
Somebody else who gets headache from crying? I rather avoid it, because I'll get an enormous headache as consequences. This is sad because crying should really bring a considerable relieve to emotional overload...
I will get wet eyes or spill some tears if something seems really wrong, unfair...

When it's someone that they never knew, a stranger on the news, I'm not quite clear on the resultant behavior somehow. It seems oddly manufactured to me, like a social construct. Something you're supposed to do.

I think that's probably it

Or maybe it's to show their sympathy towards those who knew the victims

I do tend to cry a lot,usually from anxiety or ptsd related stuff,but I usually don't cry over stuff like movies,like I hear about people crying over some songs or movies,but my crying is usually mostly due to stress.

I'm still not quite sure why people do things like that. When musicians or even writers die that people liked, they feel some sort of personal connection to them. Something they sang or wrote made them think or feel something. So that might be why they react in some way.

I cry at the news regularly. I don't feel any social pressure to do so. Probably the last time was when there was vision shown of bodiesunder a car on the westminster bridge.
Before that - probably when they charged a man over the 47 -year -cold case for the rape and murder of a 3 year old. The girl's parents and 3 brothers (The eldest a 7yo)had gone to the beach and the mother told the kids to go to the ammenities block to have a shower and change out of swimmers. The girl was taken and the then 7yo has never forgiven himself. What a horrible burden to carry for 47 years! What parent lets a 3yo go to a public toilet unsupervised?

I cry at the news regularly. I don't feel any social pressure to do so. Probably the last time was when there was vision shown of bodiesunder a car on the westminster bridge.
I cried as well, for the same reason as I did when a guard was killed near the canadian parliament. At the time, it was related to frustration and outrage at such pointless and random acts. That few of us, have any real connection to. And seem powerless to do anything about.

Was replying to something xudo wrote about not understanding why people bring flowers and lay them near a place after a tragedy happens there. Wasn't so much about being affected emotionally by the news, but related to tributes and memorials.

Last edited:
I am somewhat ashamed, but I usually cry for selfish reasons. Usually I am just upset that life isn't going the way I want it to and frustrated with my inability to make the desired modifications to my behaviour.

Sometimes I will mirror other peoples grief, be it real or acted, as in a movie. Occasionally a song or book has moved me to tears.

News of murder and other tragedies does not often make me cry, though it might make me feel nauseous. I find it kind of odd how people mourn the death of strangers and apparently assign some peoples lives more value in accordance with their age or occupation. That said, I have participated in public mourning rituals, mostly as sign of social and/or political solidarity in the face of tragedy.

Strangely, I cried when Trump was elected. Politics have never caused me to cry before, and I don't even live in the US.

Reasons I've cried within the past year and half

1. Drugs
2. My female friend stopped liking me
3. Drugs
4. Drugs
5. I became very muscular but still had no friends
6. A broken homeless man I was sitting with started crying
7. My parents got into a fight and my dad started crying
8. My sister was mean to me

I need to hold back my crying because it's always very loud and everybody will hear me. So I haven't had a satisfying cry as far as I can remember. Also it spikes my anxiety which feels awful, but I need to face my anxiety for it to go away.

the only time ive cried is during very severe bouts of depression,so when its at its worst and i become super sensitive.
even as a baby my mum said i was very quiet, i never made a noise but my aspie sister cried and screamed like mad.

animal abuse makes me extremely angry and can make tears come out,but its like i have no concept of them as i wonder to myself why am i doing this.

The last time I cried was my Nan's funeral.

Well I did hold back a tear last time I watched Disney's Dumbo, the bit where he meets his Mum in the Loony Bin gets me every time, SO sad!

Alright this is a good topic. For me what really gets me crying is when I feel lost or hopeless in my thoughts. As in I don't know exactly what's bothering me and I'm scared because I'm not sure if there's something there or I'm bottling something up. Which will lead to me crying about a flaw that I hate about myself. Happened pretty recently. I rarely cry even when I'm not on antidepressants either. At this time I was and still am

I used to cry at least once a month. What makes me cry? Being both alone and lonely in a crowd. Intense anger makes me cry. And talking about bone-deep emotions. Those are the main ones.

Ahhhhh ok! Thank you for explaining. I struggle greatly (read: fail) with empathy.

Ditto!

I cry when I'm in pain. Physical pain I can handle, not a biggie. Emotional pain is another thing. It takes a lot to fill my cup. I'm hurt when I feel double crossed by the people I feel I should trust, and by that I mean people who are not supposed to things to hurt me. My dad for instance never calls me, not even on my birthday. He has his own issues to address, I believe he should have started therapy decades ago. Anyway, that's something that hurts 'cause I was always a good kid IMO. It hurts he wasn't strong to deal with his issues and regardless, ventured on having kids without the ability of being a father (or a husband for that matter ).
It hurts when I realize people I know and like make fun of me behind my back.
It hurts when my SO doesn't acknowledge there are things I don't understand. He says an Aspie only remains an Aspie by being lazy. If I work hard on my issues, I will overcome them.

I don't feel empathy for people in general. Sometimes I find myself asking questions to my colleagues and friends out of curiosity, to educate myself about others. But I don't really care about them, I'm just looking for knowledge.

It seems oddly manufactured to me, like a social construct. Something you're supposed to do.

Yeap. People wan't to fit in, they have a huge gap whic needs to be filled by other's approval. So if someone they know displays that behaviour, they mimic (mirror effect) to be accepted, not to be put aside like somebody unable to feel, or inhuman. With Social Media nowadays, that feature has gotten worse because people are part of (too) many groups and want to be accepted by all (or at least they put a lot of effort in it).
My 2 cents..

Cruelty to animals, for sure. Guaranteed to choke me up. Also music - tunes as well as lyrics. Especially "Puff the Magic Dragon" - the saddest song ever written! What were they thinking?! Peter: "I know - let's write a song about a happy little boy and his happy imaginary dragon friend." Paul: "Hmm... sounds a bit dull. I think it needs some drama." Mary: "OK, so why don't we have the boy abandon the dragon, making the dragon really depressed and retreat into his cave to die alone?" Everyone: "BRILLIANT!"*

Seems like an Aspie's worst nightmare: animal cruelty plus being abandoned by your only friend. No wonder it makes me cry...

* (Yes, I know they didn't actually write the words)

New Threads

Top Bottom