• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What makes you cry?

Azul-Infinito

I dont know if it is true, but i just read a fact that said men cry on average 6 times a year, and the number for women was like 30 i think. It got me trying to remember the last time i cried. When was the last time you cried? Do you remember what caused it.

I can honestly say, I rarely can emote tears if something devastating happens (its not that im not in tremendous pain) it like some kind of somatic or sympathetic nervous system disconnect, or maybe im just too stoic.

Random things though can turn on the water works, like a song or a commercial can make me weep for almost no reason (once in a while). It feels cathartic to cry, if i could make myself cry i think i would do it all the time, but i dont know how.

Im sure this post will be a downer, but thats ok sometimes.

Last edited:
Well, at times memories from the past make me cry. Abuse of animals makes me cry. People dying needlessly makes me cry, as does injustice.

I don't remember what the last thing I cried to was, but I was in a deep depression for a few years, contemplating suicide almost daily. I would get drunk every night and found a few videos that would make me cry without fail. I'm thankful for them in a way as they offered some kind of emotional release. Luckily things are better now, but here are some of the videos I used to watch regularly.

I'm not even a fan of Disney films in their own right and actively dislike the company, but something about this video did something to me. Maybe it was being reminded of the films I was stuck with as a child where life was simpler and I didn't have the problems I was going through at the current time.

The entire video is great, but the parts about not bending to hypotheticals and hell not being so bad would always destroy me. I made a post here in the past about a strange religious experience despite being an athiest and so the sense of regret in the video spoke to me as someone toying with the idea of faith.

There were also a bunch of baseball videos where people catching the ball in the crowd (including kids) would give the ball to someone else without any hesitation or desire to keep the ball for themselves even though they had every right to, and other sports videos where rivals showed great compassion.

I know double threads are discouraged, but. I looked this one up , And i didnt see it ,if you dont search the right keyword exactly you might not see it. Once a thread isn't touched in a while, the only way people see it is if they commented on it, or they search for it. It's not a perfect system. I guess like i like my clothes, it's nice to have some "fresh new threads".:D

Sylar- i really enjoyed those videos. Thank you for sharing!

@Azul-Infinito No problem. Also, adding @ before a username allows that user to know you are talking to them. ;)

I dislike duplicate threads but I thought that, while there was some crossover between the threads, this was a thread dedicated to posting media that makes you cry while the other thread seems to be to discuss the act of crying and the psychological effects. Unless I'm mistaken on the intention, I'm sure this thread isn't a true duplicate thread since they seem to be share a similar subject matter but focus on different aspects of it.

Wow azul, you seem to have a fascination for differences between men and women! (It is an interesting topic)

I tend to be moved (emotionally) pretty easily, so I shed a few tears every now and then (it doesn't help that I like to watch moving stuff)

Apparently one of the reasons men don't cry as much has to do with the lacrymal gland being different (Cry Me a River: Why Men and Women Shed Different Tears), though there are of course cultural factors too (crying is unmanly)

I don't cry much. When I do it's usually because I'm overcome with joy like my daughter or nephew playing sports or performing in her band concert. Anything with children really gets to me. I have a soft spot for children and animals.

Even when my mom died I really only cried when I was holding her hand as she passed away to be with the lord. After that I never really cried except when her brother was leaving after the funeral. He was the only one who really brought out any emotion in me. I guess I felt like he was the last one I had left from my mom's side of the family. I tried my best to suppress my emotions during the funeral.

Anyways, that's my story.

Wow azul, you seem to have a fascination for differences between men and women! (It is an interesting topic)

I guess i have? It was not on purpose. Im sorry, i do find it interesting, but sometimes as a man i feel like it comes off as sexist to suggest that their aren't differences between men and women, when thats just silly. It would be a Darwinian miracle for that to be true.

I read that article, i think emotions have far more to did with biochemistry, than physiology. Those good ol' neurotransmitters, or lack there of in some cases.

To be honest im jealous of some people's (wether they be man or woman, but woman do tend to have a deeper capacity for this) ability to emote, and to have an emotional release through crying or any other type of catharsis. Catharsis is like a pressure relieve valve. Some people can get it through exercise some through drugs, or sex. But crying seems to be this very natural, organic way of releasing emotional tension. I wish i had that relief valve at my disposal.

Not like in a woe is me type way.. i have outlets, but still . Like "oh, your deeeply sad, have a good cry and feel better." Id love to have that option and i just dont.

That's really interesting, I also wonder about the mental differences between males and females. I feel bad that men feel like they have to walk on eggshells when talking about it. I certainly wouldn't be in any way offended if we're dealing with facts or trying to discover facts.
I also cry at odd times, but it is nice to cry. The last time I cried was when my mom and grandma was deciding what to do with the backyard, I felt like I had no say. I was passionate about deciding what to do with it. I wanted to grow a practical edible garden making use of all the space. But they wanted non-native stupid tropical low maintenance flowers and crap. I'm very opinionated about what my garden should be haha.
But luckily later on they liked my idea. :p

Random things though can turn on the water works, like a song or a commercial can make me weep for almost no reason (once in a while).

Stuff like this will sometimes make me cry, and it's usually out of nowhere. Intrusive thoughts from OCD make me cry too, but not always.

I dont know if it is true, but i just read a fact that said men cry on average 6 times a year, and the number for women was like 30 i think. It got me trying to remember the last time i cried. When was the last time you cried? Do you remember what caused it.

I can honestly say, I rarely can emote tears if something devastating happens (its not that im not in tremendous pain) it like some kind of somatic or sympathetic nervous system disconnect, or maybe im just too stoic.

Random things though can turn on the water works, like a song or a commercial can make me weep for almost no reason (once in a while). It feels cathartic to cry, if i could make myself cry i think i would do it all the time, but i dont know how.

Im sure this post will be a downer, but thats ok sometimes.
Animal cruelty ...gets me every time.
Seeing people do selfless things for others makes me cry happy tears.
...and general Asperger overload of course

Im sorry, i do find it interesting, but sometimes as a man i feel like it comes off as sexist to suggest that their aren't differences between men and women, when thats just silly. It would be a Darwinian miracle for that to be true.

There are some species that are non-sexually dismorphic, so this is not impossible, but men and women are at least different physically and gender roles are similar accross time and cultures, so it's very unlikely that men and women didn't adapt to their different lifestyles. The only mental difference I'm sure about is that women are generally nurturing and men are generally dominating, though there are exception and the differences between genders are increased by socialization, so it's not all nature. Also male and female brains are slightly different (and interestingly enough trans people have the cerebral structure of their gender instead of their biological sex, even prior to taking hormones, so it's a good evidence that the brain structure didn't take form because of the way a person is raised)

Sorry, this is off topic, I just like to talk about those things ^^'

Last edited:
i can count two times iv cried this year. at the last episode of code geass r2 and the last episode of mobile suit gundam 00

Animal cruelty ...gets me every time.

and general Asperger overload of course

I don't know why I didn't think of these too.

One thing I don't understand is when my Mum gets upset about stuff that happens to people she doesn't know. For example, a couple were stabbed to death in my city at the end of last year and yes..I can see that that is a sad thing; but lots of people laid flowers outside the shop where they had been attacked (I don't understand that either because people are only really doing that for themselves..the dead people won't know?) and my mum got upset when walking past. She said I was being insensitive when I asked why she was upset, because she in no way knew these people, or anyone they were related to.

She's probably thinking about how she'd feel if a loved one had the same fate. This is a common form of empathy (though there are others). I feel sad about these things sometimes too.

She's probably thinking about how she'd feel if a loved one had the same fate. This is a common form of empathy (though there are others). I feel sad about these things sometimes too.

Ahhhhh ok! Thank you for explaining. I struggle greatly (read: fail) with empathy.

New Threads

Top Bottom