• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What characters do/did you find relatable?

Cosima, the scientist clon in Orphan Black (my avatar) and Amélie Poulin from the movie Amelie.

I found/find no character relatable at all, but two in particular inspirational: the Doctor from Classic Who and Robert McCall from the Equaliser (1980s telly series). Brilliance, integrity, courage, resourcefulness and audacity they have in abundance: they have their own rules, aren't part of the herd and pay the price.

Scar from The Lion King was kinda funny. I remember people at high school called me Scar for a while. But I hadn't seen the movie since I was 5, so didn't really know why. Then I watched it last christmas and it was like, "you know what? I get it?"...

It's not the "evil" stuff. But every other trait that seems to define Scar's character, is basically just... me.

In the late 80's/early 90's I wanted to be Zack from Saved by the Bell, purely because I was in love with Kelly Kapowski, and after Googling recent photos of her, I still would.

I was more inclined to identify with characters in books than on the screen. Namely: Laura Ingalls, Anne Shirley, Sara Crewe (A Little Princess by Francis Hodgson Burnett) and Nanda Gray (Frost in May by Antonia White).

Last edited:
I identified with Shinji Ikari 20 years ago. Now, not so much.

I also identify with Hedwig’s spiritual struggle in Hedwig and the Angry Inch. He essentially abandoned his identity looking for an easy way out, gets taken advantage of by predators, becomes a vicious and ulikeable beast, but eventually he sinks down as low as he is willing to sink, picks himself up, puts himself together and realizes who he truly was all along.

Belle from Disneys "Beauty and the Beast".

When I was a child, I felt like I was her - odd, didn't fit in and always had her nose in a book.
same she is the most relatable Disney princess because I was considered weird while growing up and never felt like I fit in anywhere.

Wow, there have been so many for me over the years.

Generally speaking, I'd say that I connect most with characters who are smart and quirky and oftentimes misunderstood.

Some of the characters I've really enjoyed have been:

Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle
Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service
Sara Crewe from the book The Little Princess
Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice (the book version and most definitely NOT the Keira Knightley film version! Keira's version of Elizabeth would've made Jane Austen turn over in her grave!)
Belle from Beauty and the Beast

Dr Robyn Penrose in Nice Work (campus novel by David Lodge). I even felt I had to stick up for her when my brother accused her of being a b1tch towards the male lead character Vic Wilcox. Haven't seen the TV adaptation yet.

New Threads

Top Bottom