• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your sensory issues?

I have to cover my ears if theres too many noises at once. If someone touches me i jerk away and may hit them as a reflex.

I remembered one thing about me. I'm usually okay with very loud noises (I went already to a metal concert and I almost always say it was the one best days of my life so far hahaha), but when I'm sleeping and my brother starts to play drums I feel really uncomfortable, I roll to the sides of the bed, I try to cover my ears in many ways, I want to run away. It's like if it hit me and I felt a big pain. Also babies crying makes me mad lol.

I remembered one thing about me. I'm usually okay with very loud noises (I went already to a metal concert and I almost always say it was the one best days of my life so far hahaha), but when I'm sleeping and my brother starts to play drums I feel really uncomfortable, I roll to the sides of the bed, I try to cover my ears in many ways, I want to run away. It's like if it hit me and I felt a big pain. Also babies crying makes me mad lol.

Very much understand where you are coming from with these

One I discovered some Christmases ago...

I've never been able to stand caramel candy. More recently, it's been candy canes. The realization: I can't stand sugar in really pure candy form.

Silence. It drives me crazy. Tests in school were always excrutiating because it was so freaking quiet all the time. Loudness of music/etc doesn't bother me in the least. Strobe or fast color changing lights are bad... Smell doesn't ever bother me.

Strong light makes me feel sick. Fluorescents are awful!!!!

Loud sounds are painful for me, particularly banging, shouting and repetitive sounds. I often see images when I hear strong sounds, just random colours and shapes so it sends me a bit nutty when the kids are loud.

Im ok with the feel of things mostly, but Im fascinated obsessively with fluffy things like cats and scarves.

Noises: I HATE them, and they drive me crazy. I can't stand fireworks, balloons exploding, microwave and a lot of sounds in the same time, they put me anxious and nervous and I have to cover my ears.
The smells of certain thing also make me nervous, like grapes and Fluor.
And, of course, when people touch me or hug me, its like they send me electricity, it's exciting and sudden and horrible. I love fluffy things and touch them, also. Finally, I can't eat things that are mixed. Like rice and vegetables or meat and French fries; all my food has to be separated.

I don't like loud sounds, harsh music (heavy metal/death metal, etc.) and I can't stand certain types of foods. I don't eat mushrooms, moldy cheeses, eggs, fish, shellfish, animal organs or blood, or turkey. I don't like broccoli, cauliflower, greens, turnips, rutabagas, celery, fresh fruits (except pineapple), coffee or straight alcohol.

sensory issues

loud sounds especially fireworks/crackers the 4th i am in a closet with the door tightly shut and music blaring in my ears
any kind of wool eek
cold cant stand being cold under 75 i have a sweater on or a fleece jacket
some smells nauseate me
extreme sensitivity to pain

I cannot stand the smell of dog. When our now 14-year old dog was getting long-haired she smelled so bad I had to open two doors in the house. Apparently my 86-year old dad and my 79-year old mom are used to farm-like smells as they both grew up on farms in the old country of Slovenia in Europe. The whole house can stink like old dog while no one else can. Burnt food stinks to high heaven too. It seems that I am the only sensitive nose in the family, except the smoke detector is even more so with toast and toasters! When my bedroom at the far end of the house fills up with burnt food, I feel like throwing up or getting out of the house as fast as I can. My parents can be inside in the living room and barely notice anything.
During the day I often plug my ears with foam plugs the TV is set to high noise for my hard-of-hearing parents.

I do not do noise, high humidity or cold. Nor do I do small spaces.

It never sounds like a big deal but to me it is. Too much noise and I break down and cry. High humidity affects my breathing. Small space affect my breathing.

Oh and specific things- I can not stand to touch a cotton ball and I can not stand anything remotely similar to mucus in texture. Both of those make me dry heave.

I hate driving along tree-lined streets at sundown, because the light flickering through the branches makes me want to claw my eyes out.
Can't deal with noise, either. Especially, but not limited to, loud vehicles. Old cars without mufflers, motorcycles, emergency vehicles, you name it. I think the effect of the noise not only being there but also moving so I can't even place the direction is super stressful.
Also, not sure if it counts as a sensory issue, but I can't deal with beds that aren't against a wall on one side. I simply cannot feel safe.

I'm sensitive to a certain smell in the morning air. It's like I can feel the smell, and it evokes such a high spike of emotion that I can't get any other way. I can get a similar spike though when I hear certain melodies in music, but they have to click right in my head. Mostly these occur in power metal.

King Arthur and the Knights of Justice theme comes to mind. Pulling up the memory of it just makes the hairs on my back stand. Something about the melody is awesome.

I seem to have gotten a dose of all 5 senses. I'm very light sensitive and have to have a dim lightbulb in my room and rarely open the curtains. Sunglasses are necessary even in winter when the sun is out. I have an acute sense of smell and dislike specific smells. E.g. coconut. Many deodorants and colognes are out, especially as many people wear way too much. I intensely dislike cigarette smoke and banana. I have difficulty with the taste and texture of banana as well as the smell and there are many foods that I can't eat for one or the other reason. I am very sensitive to textures of fabrics, wool is probably the worst thing I can have on my skin. Many synthetic fabrics, rough seams and tags. I can't wear shoes where my big toe touches the end of the shoe. I overheat or get too cold very easily. I also sunburn easily. I dislike extremely loud sounds or high pitched ones. I can't stand sirens and have to cover my ears. Songs with too much treble or too many cymbals are out as well. I don't like screaming. I really don't like the amount of background noise in everyday life, it's extremely tiring to filter out.

When I was a kid hearing loud noises scared me and knowing I was headed back to a place where there would be loud noises brought dread. As an adult though hearing loud noise kind of angers me. I'm also particular with food to the point where some things I will never eat and others I could eat one day and like it (shrimp fried rice for example) and if I taste it the next time I might want to throw up. I don't take heat well at all

I just recently realized that I cannot handle very "loud" clothing or accessories on other people even though I'm hardly a fashion conscious person because I distract so easily. I've been stupefied by very bright blouses before... my brain will actually go complete spacey for a few seconds and I will have to brace myself in order to figure out what I was just doing.
I probably would never have noticed this about myself if I hadn't started working in a fast-paced environment though.

Loud, abrupt noises. I always startle and then feel embarrassed if there are other people around that I don't know. The smell of pine scented cleaner (bleach doesn't bother me half as much). People chewing or making moist sounds with their mouths, like people in movies kissing each other. High pitched sounds like children shrieking, or sounds like microwave ovens or the timer on our stove. Booming car stereos. My husband tells me that I have highly acute hearing, and it is not something I am proud of.

I can hear the neighbor chatting on his cell phone two houses away or across the street in the park. I I also hate random touch, especially if it is very light. It makes me want to strike out at someone. Repeated annoyances, like a door slamming over and over. I also have trouble dealing with bright lights, fluorescent lights (they make a high, whiny sound that is very annoying) or even regular light bulbs that sometimes make a noise, too. Strong perfumes or synthetic scents make my head ache.

The feel of dishes after they've been through the dishwasher ( it is akin to hearing someone walk on hard crusted snow). The feel of wool against my skin, or tags on clothing, or seams in socks. Lots more, just can't think of any right now.

Humidity. I will turn my air conditioner as low as it takes to dry out the atmosphere. Otherwise I feel all yucky and irritable and can't sleep.

New Threads

Top Bottom