• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your sensory issues?

Today the Old Dutch and Lay's reps came in today. I really felt the rustling of potato chip bags makes me fall asleep pretty fast! If I need to fall asleep fast, I should record some potato chip bag rustling for a while, then I will get sleepy in a hurry!

I am very sensitive to noise. Right now (2:12 am) the snowplows are clearing the snow and the sound of their backup warning beeping is driving me crazy. My apartment is surrounded by commercial parking lots, so there's a lot of snow removal going on. I also freak out at sudden changes in the volume of the shows I watch. Ted is really bad for this. I have to turn my speakers down for every new episode, as well as for commercials in movies and tv shows. What a pain!

:{

1. sudden noises or changes in volume levels. (can't listen to Pink Floyd very well) - It scares the heck out of me, and sometimes gives me a major headache or makes my head have this weird "tingling" like sensation.

2. Bright lights - Whenever I am in the car during winter I have to have my jacket on with my hood up so it can cover my eyes. During the summer I just cuddle up into a ball. (I wear transition glasses, but they don't help)

3. Voices - I always find them very loud. At times it drives me crazy. Its like everyone is constantly yelling at me or at other people. It hurts my ears and messes with my concentration.

4. Being rubbed/poked - Whether through clothes or bare skin I can't take being touched in a form of rub or poke. A prolonged hug is okay. But someone rubbing my arm/back/head/anything feels weird and makes that area tingle a lot/heavy uneven breathing. At certain spots it is comforting to a degree but most the time it just drives me crazy.

5. Textures - I can't stand the feeling of certain materials/items. For example Jeans. Whenever I wear them it feels like there are a million bugs running around on my legs most the time. They are just overall uncomfortable and it is hard to concentrate on the days I wear them most the time. Another example is shirt tags. I used to have to have them cut of when I was younger. But since I turned 12 and up it doesn't bother me that much anymore. (I am now 15.)

(will update this later as I think of more probably. Have to go to a date for now...)

I don't like loud noises, especially if they are sudden. I strongly dislike bassy cars going by. I don't like random people touching me, even worse if it is bare skin contact. My skin feels weird when that happens, and tingles in an unpleasant way for a long while afterward. I hate standing in line in the store because people get too close then make moist smacking noises with their mouth or talk on their cell and it sounds like they are shouting in my ear with a microphone. Certain textures of fabric are unpleasant to touch but I can't think of any right now. Certain textures of food could make me gag, like lychee fruit or papaya. Some smells can hit me like a ton of bricks; B.O, or the litter box when it needs changing, or really strong perfume or cologne. There's more, but can't think of them.

So you have that issue with sensation after people have touched you and making noises with their mouths too Garnetflower 13. I notice if someone puts their hand on my shoulder even when they are just being friendly I can still feel it for up to ten minutes after they have removed their hand, its a weird feeling and as it fades it can tingle a bit. As for that lip-smacking noise it seems to be common where I work, if someone comes into the lunchroom making that noise I have to leave, I can't stand it.:banghead:

So you have that issue with sensation after people have touched you and making noises with their mouths too Garnetflower 13. I notice if someone puts their hand on my shoulder even when they are just being friendly I can still feel it for up to ten minutes after they have removed their hand, its a weird feeling and as it fades it can tingle a bit. As for that lip-smacking noise it seems to be common where I work, if someone comes into the lunchroom making that noise I have to leave, I can't stand it.:banghead:
Also, when watching a movie with a kissing scene, I have to mute the volume because I can't stand that wet, sticky sound. :eek:oh:

Also, when watching a movie with a kissing scene, I have to mute the volume because I can't stand that wet, sticky sound. :eek:oh:

I have that with embarrassing moments like kissing, sex or really embarrassing stuff like Melissa McCartney and a lot of films like The Hangover and comedies like Alan Partridge

I woke up this morning with my whole body feeling bruised and painful. The touch of my clothing actually hurts! As far as I know, there's no reason for this. It's not as if I was working out. :skip: Every part of me hurts except my hands and feet. Has anyone else experienced this? I've had it before, but have no idea what causes it.

I woke up this morning with my whole body feeling bruised and painful. The touch of my clothing actually hurts! As far as I know, there's no reason for this. It's not as if I was working out. :skip: Every part of me hurts except my hands and feet. Has anyone else experienced this? I've had it before, but have no idea what causes it.
Yes! I do experience that, but only on parts of my body at a time, not the whole body. It almost feels as if I had been scalded.

I am very sensitive to sounds, I always notice sounds that no one else does. I am also very sensitive to sunlight, my family always teases me about being a vampire because I am more of a night person.

Last edited:
Seriously, I can't function outside without my sunglasses. Get a headache from the sun's glare pretty much year round. Made a point of limiting my skin exposure to the sun when I was in my early 30s. Not to mention I burn easily.

I do ok with garlic and mirrors though. ;)

Basically everything. Strong scents, (rarely wear perfume), loud noises, touch, taste... I'm just so sensitive to the world.

Something that's always makes me squirm is having something around my neck like a pendant or a tight collar. It feels so terrible like I'm be strangled, that's why I always keep my top most buttons undone and you'll never get me to wear a turtleneck sweater.

I jump when people touch me, not in all areas though, just in my side. Also I'm really sensitive with strong scents, but it's because of my rhinitis. Oh, and babies crying! I feel really uncomfortable with it.

Before learning about aspergers and sensory issues I labeled myself "non touch friendly". I don't like people touching me. I can touch them, but they better watch out if they try to touch me... In highschool this guy decided to come up behind me and pick me up. I reacted. His nuts hurt afterward, he didn't do it again.

Also related to touch, i don't like dry or scratchy things. When reading books some have proper smooth paper, others don't. It is dry, and I have to continuously use moisturizer, which helps slightly, but still is a disconcerting feeling.

I also have a problem with loud noises. I run from the bathroom after flushing the toilet to be out of there faster.

I think sensory issues are a big thing for me and always have been - now with the knowledge about AS it's more comforting to know that I'm not just 'weird'!

Things I have issues with:
- Clothing with collars
- Clothing with unnecessary buttons/zips (I can't stand buttons except on jeans, they make my skin creep!)
- Uncomfortable structured clothing made from unnatural fabrics - I wear mostly soft knits, and stretchy or loose jersey fabrics
- Bad reactions to cigarette smoke & aerosols, but I have asthma too
- Loud TVs as I can't distinguish voices when people in the room are talking to me, feels like I'm being shouted at
- Food textures: mushrooms, tomatoes, rough chewy meat, fizzy drinks
- Feeling someone's breath on me and even worse, being able to smell it too
- Bright lights, makes driving at night in the countryside painful!

I'm sure there are more and those are my main ones - hopefully others can empathise!

The utmost worst of my sensations would be floral:(. I can NOT tolerate my extrasensory perception of odors when I am exposed to passive smoking:sick:. It is the WORST! Not to mention that the catastrophic thinking from my Aspergers Disorder induces angst from fear of accumulating lung cancer:skull:.
Luminescence and audibility only seem to disturb me when I am attempting to languish consciousness or when I am startled by them. Startling also pertains to my sensation of physical contact.

I think sensory issues are a big thing for me and always have been - now with the knowledge about AS it's more comforting to know that I'm not just 'weird'!

Things I have issues with:
- Clothing with collars
- Clothing with unnecessary buttons/zips (I can't stand buttons except on jeans, they make my skin creep!)
- Uncomfortable structured clothing made from unnatural fabrics - I wear mostly soft knits, and stretchy or loose jersey fabrics
- Bad reactions to cigarette smoke & aerosols, but I have asthma too
- Loud TVs as I can't distinguish voices when people in the room are talking to me, feels like I'm being shouted at
- Food textures: mushrooms, tomatoes, rough chewy meat, fizzy drinks
- Feeling someone's breath on me and even worse, being able to smell it too
- Bright lights, makes driving at night in the countryside painful!

I'm sure there are more and those are my main ones - hopefully others can empathise!
I can certainly empathize with most of those! Especially about feeling someone's breath on me. Sometimes while standing in line at the store, someone will be talking behind me and send a puff of warm, moist breath on my neck. Then I can feel it evaporating...Yuck! Even worse when I catch a whiff of it. It doesn't have to stink, just be moist. Once I joined a choir group and couldn't believe how many breath odors were being blown around the room. It seemed that I was the only one who could smell it! And ditto for having a television or radio going in the room and trying to understand what someone is saying. I also find bright lights painful, and cannot be around cigarette smoke or heavy, artificial scents like fabric softener, or strong perfumes and colognes.

I can certainly empathize with most of those! Especially about feeling someone's breath on me. Sometimes while standing in line at the store, someone will be talking behind me and send a puff of warm, moist breath on my neck. Then I can feel it evaporating...Yuck! Even worse when I catch a whiff of it. It doesn't have to stink, just be moist. Once I joined a choir group and couldn't believe how many breath odors were being blown around the room. It seemed that I was the only one who could smell it! And ditto for having a television or radio going in the room and trying to understand what someone is saying. I also find bright lights painful, and cannot be around cigarette smoke or heavy, artificial scents like fabric softener, or strong perfumes and colognes.

I'm just cringing thinking about all the breath! :puke:

So glad that smoking is now banned inside public buildings in the UK. I wish they'd ban it in certain busy public spaces too, like in the high street or in shop doorways: I always cup my hands over my face when walking past someone smoking, but still often get the smell on my clothes or hair which is nasty. Japan has 'smoking cubicles' or something similar in public spaces which I think is a great idea. I get funny looks but to me it's the same as if I brought my perfume with me and sprayed it at strangers and expected them to be okay with it.

Nothing personal to any smokers reading this, just that I'm very sensitive to the stuff and do my best to avoid it for my asthmatic lungs. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom