• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Temperature sensitivity

Is temperature sensitivity an ASD thing?
I get too hot. I much prefer feeling cool. My wife attends a group for people with partners on the spectrum. She has been told by the support staff that people on the spectrum tend to have problems controlling body temperature.

I know I am very sensitive to temperature, it is a very finite balance that I've not really got right yet. Because I struggle to notice small change without paying attention my mind swings from "God it's cold" to "It's incredibly warm in here" with no measurement in between.

I think some of my temperate issues are anxiety related and even now I tend to sweat quite a bit. Good antiperspirant and blood pressure medication (brings down fast heart beat and the sweats) help me manage that. Having sweaty palms is something I dislike greatly and I (sterotypically) wash my hands quite a lot.

For years I never put the pieces of the puzzle together, I.E. if I wear a hoodie I'd end up sweating. I just wore it because it was comfortable and it hid my body shape.

If my temperature swings get really bad, I cycle from hot/cold quite quickly and my vision blurs (I've been told this is a panic attack) but those don't happen so much now. I used to use a great antiperspirant called Driclor although it stings quite badly, it really is good if anyone else has perspiration issues..

Warning it has aluminium in it!

Yes! I'm most comfortable at temperatures around 20°C. In winter I like it warmer, in summer I like it colder. I sweat a lot in summer months. A LOT. The back of my t-shirt is soaked after 5min in the sun. In winter I'm shivering cold. I have dificulties talking that's how cold I am sometimes.

I dislike heat, indoors and outdoors.
Room temperature should not exceed 75 degrees, or discomfort will occur. At 85 degrees, I stop being productive. Optimal humidity should be 40-50%, but at my workplace, it is as low as 15% and at home it's over 70%...

When outside, acceptable temp range for me is 25 - 80F. Also depends of wind, air humidity and pollution.

I'm with clg114 and The Penguin - I can't stand heat/humidity, yet I'm okay with really cold temperatures. It's currently hovering around 30-ish degrees outside where I live right now, and I'm okay outside with just an unzipped sweater on as protection from the weather. :) My stepmom says she doesn't know how I stand it (she gets cold really easily). When the cold does exceed my tolerance levels, however, I just put on a jacket or hoodie.

I delight in the cold crisp air of autumn :runner: and winter, and thrill to play in the snow!:snowboarder: I love my chunky rag wool hat and poofy down jacket. Cold weather means exciting outside adventures in nature! :evergreen::evergreen::evergreen:I can enjoy the woods in the cold seasons.

Summer's heat and humidity makes me feel sick with heat-cramps, no matter how well-hydrated I am.
In July and August, I limit my activity outdoors. I feel weak and very unwell when the temperature is hot.
Outdoor forays in the heat are usually early morning or after sunset.

I live in New England.:mapleleaf:

New Threads

Top Bottom