• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensory issue with clothes?

Caelix3

I am a female. But I tend to wear boy shirts because they just fit more roomy for me and fit more comfortable. Girl shirts cling too much to the body and are too fitted. Which makes me uncomfortable. Also I noticed they tend to be see through and I don't want to have to wear a cami underneath. Does anyone have any advice on how I can start wearing girl shirts. I want to try it. Look more feminine, thanks.

I wear a lot of men's clothing also, for pretty much the same reason as you do. Easier to find Men's clothing in pure cotton, more comfortable fit around the shoulders, allowes for more liberty of movement, and men's clothing (shirts, pants, jackets) tend to have more pockets - important to me since I don't carry a purse.

A lot of times, whatever is available in women's clothing is dependent on the latest popular style. The only way I keep up on style is by noticing what everyone else at work is wearing. (this pant/thigh latest fad is horrendous!! LOL).

If you would like to soften your look and start trying on more feminin styles, I would suggest you start with clothing stores that specialize in outdoorsy clothing and casual/sport styles. Many of the styles will copy the men's clothing (since the clothing needs to be comfortable and practical), but with subtle details that play down the masculine look and make things more feminin, like smaller collars, more subtle pockets, and other little things.

Another thing I do is shop at second had clothing stores a lot - I try on stuff I'd never thought I would like, and realize I look great and feel good in them. Since the thrift store clothing is dirt cheap, if I end up not really liking my choice and not wearing it as much as I thought I would, no biggy - it only cost me a few dollars.

I've had a job this year where I feel the need to look a bit more polished. Getting dressed in the AM usually involves a huge pile of clothes...someday I'm going to be late because I can't find non-annoying clothes! But I have found a couple of shirts that have a dressy look with a silky patterned fabric just for the front, but the rest made of knit like a t-shirt. Totally comfortable and look nice under a soft blazer.

I second investigating the sporty/casual styles. That's my favorite, it seems to suit me, and it's so much more comfortable that a lot of the feminine/dress up styles.

In my experience, the more "feminine" something is, the more it's going to abrade, pinch, compress, and require constant adjustment.

Go slow and find your own style.

I like shopping from LL Bean, a catalog of casual and outdoors wear. Even their feminine things are not overly tight or frilly, and I especially like that you can specify if you like something to be tight or loose fitting. I also like the Vermont Country store catalog, same reason. Some of their things look downright dowdy, but I did purchase a denim jumper which looks nice over a short sleeved cotton shirt in summer, and a turtleneck top in the cooler months. I also like thrift shops because things are well broken in, and soft to the touch.

Apart from scouring fancy dress shops for Super Hero costumes I hate clothes shopping.

And in general the kind of colours I wear tend to be either dark blue, grey or black, is this a common Aspie thing?

Apart from scouring fancy dress shops for Super Hero costumes I hate clothes shopping.

And in general the kind of colours I wear tend to be either dark blue, grey or black, is this a common Aspie thing?
i think its a common people thing,the most common colours i see are dark blue,grey and black, especially when i go looking for jogging pants/track suit bottoms.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. [emoji4] I think to look more feminine, I'll wear lipstick and jewelry also.

I wound up piercing my ears because that was the only jewelry which did not annoy me. With my new, shorter, haircut it makes a really nice combo.

New Threads

Top Bottom