• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Playing the Aspie Card

I like the concept of a collapsing wave probability field to it's realised, observed actuality as an analogy, it is useful to think that way. To visualise a desired result as collapsing wave functions to there manifest particle, literally observing a more hopeful and better tomorrow.

I will use this.

Harrison and I have discussed this in great depth. He expresses his thoughts clearer than I. But to paraphrase him in a more private communication to me. What he studies and teaches at great expense to the system is supportive of what I have intuited since adolescence. I know that we can jump one track of reality and create, discover or manifest another. Harrison has some proofs and I am extolling the virtue of manipulating the matrix to serve us rather than becoming subservient and serving the status quo.
I do not think most comprehend this, because they think in binary, good/ bad, black/white. The mind may be a quantum computational system that measures potentials, shades, degrees and risk/rewards.
If folks do not understand their own mind how can they understand anything. This explains the societies need to be told what to think, believe, do, say and feel. It is willful blindness and confirmation bias with a dose of Stockholm Syndrome tossed in.
The need to be loved by the oppressors rather than self love with a bit of gumption!

Harrison and I have discussed this in great depth. He expresses his thoughts clearer than I. But to paraphrase him in a more private communication to me. What he studies and teaches at great expense to the system is supportive of what I have intuited since adolescence. I know that we can jump one track of reality and create, discover or manifest another. Harrison has some proofs and I am extolling the virtue of manipulating the matrix to serve us rather than becoming subservient and serving the status quo.
I do not think most comprehend this, because they think in binary, good/ bad, black/white. The mind may be a quantum computational system that measures potentials, shades, degrees and risk/rewards.
If folks do not understand their own mind how can they understand anything. This explains the societies need to be told what to think, believe, do, say and feel. It is willful blindness and confirmation bias with a dose of Stockholm Syndrome tossed in.
The need to be loved by the oppressors rather than self love with a bit of gumption!

I wonder if stockholm syndrome is the correct simile??
Did Robespierre's mob love the lace glove of the aristocrat?

I understand what you are saying though and agree that willful blindness is a crime against virtue, and that in the age of information ignorance is perhaps a choice, a choice to remain blind.

I have a solid comprehension of quantum physics ( lol I know the inherent irony of that statement ) and understand how the most fundamental of quantum field theories is that the wave function is only ever collapsed to a fixed point when subjected to observation, which leads to the inevitable conclusion that if observation influences physical phenomena then the observer has the potential, well actually not not even the potential, simply does influence reality on a daily bases by merely observing it. Which leads to the next inevitable conclusion that physics is actually far from the objective observation and recording, replicating results to reveal underlying laws that govern the actions of what we perceive as reality, but is instead more akin to metaphysics which posits some interesting possibilities regarding the human condition and it's symbiotic relationship with a malleable reality??

Believe me I am far from blind or bound by concepts of base duality, unless it is in regards to theories of supersymmetry and the like. Also the use of binary opposites can be quite revealing.

Please if you and Harrison are willing, I would relish the opportunity to join the discussions.
Feel free to PM a three way conversation

Last edited:
I wonder if stockholm syndrome is the correct simile??
Did Robespierre's mob love the lace glove of the aristocrat?

I understand what you are saying though and agree that willful blindness is a crime against virtue, and that in the age of information ignorance is perhaps a choice, a choice to remain blind.

I have a solid comprehension of quantum physics ( lol I know the inherent irony of that statement ) and understand how the most fundamental of quantum field theories is that the wave function is only ever collapsed to a fixed point when subjected to observation, which leads to the inevitable conclusion that if observation influences physical phenomena then the observer has the potential, well actually not not even the potential, simply does influence reality on a daily bases by merely observing it. Which leads to the next inevitable conclusion that physics is actually far from the objective observation and recording, replicating results to reveal underlying laws that govern the actions of what we perceive as reality, but is instead more akin to metaphysics which posits some interesting possibilities regarding the human condition and it's symbiotic relationship with a malleable reality??

Believe me I am far from blind or bound by concepts of base duality, unless it is in regards to theories of supersymmetry and the like. Also the use of binary opposites can be quite revealing.

Please if you and Harrison are willing, I would relish the opportunity to join the discussions.
Feel free to PM a three way conversation

Qwerty, as I mentioned earlier, I do not have the math, education or the proof to strengthen my position. I intuit things.

I read a lot, Wilson, Green, Hawking for example. What I grasp goes into a package or a box into memory storage with a label and a few reference points.
When a topic is touched upon, all relevant boxes are dumped into the stream of consciousness, and randomized. The rocks in the stream act like filters and move the boxes toward or away from my observation. All the pertinent boxes are in some sort of order and I open and examine the boxes and move the irrelevant aside.
So in the end I have a handful of somewhat related compartmentalized packages of thought that come together as an idea that I can visualize, manipulate and form a reasonable conclusion. I call this intuit, I am not even sure if I alone am in control of this process or if the universe understands itself via sentience.
Harrison can explain clearly what I only sense. I think he and perhaps you know what I am trying to say. I would like to get others to use this perceptual mechanism for their own self interest and for self acceptance.

Some folks are afraid to swim in deep water even though depth is not an issue when swimming.
You know.

Qwerty, as I mentioned earlier, I do not have the math, education or the proof to strengthen my position. I intuit things.

I read a lot, Wilson, Green, Hawking for example. What I grasp goes into a package or a box into memory storage with a label and a few reference points.
When a topic is touched upon, all relevant boxes are dumped into the stream of consciousness, and randomized. The rocks in the stream act like filters and move the boxes toward or away from my observation. All the pertinent boxes are in some sort of order and I open and examine the boxes and move the irrelevant aside.
So in the end I have a handful of somewhat related compartmentalized packages of thought that come together as an idea that I can visualize, manipulate and form a reasonable conclusion. I call this intuit, I am not even sure if I alone am in control of this process or if the universe understands itself via sentience.
Harrison can explain clearly what I only sense. I think he and perhaps you know what I am trying to say. I would like to get others to use this perceptual mechanism for their own self interest and for self acceptance.

Some folks are afraid to swim in deep water even though depth is not an issue when swimming.
You know.
With due apologies to slithytoves for getting off topic. Painted in honor of (one slice of many layers and directions) randomly visualized categories. :) Mine don't have words very often. https://www.aspiescentral.com/threads/post-your-photography.301/page-15#post-229428

To me, ultimately playing that "card" is more like throwing dice. Frankly I can think of better scenarios for risk versus reward. That's it's something to be done sparingly, and with great thought.
I agree Judge, but I think that the way Kestrel used it with family is a much more targeted way with a much higher chance of success.
Since I've had either poor or lukewarm responses to 'coming-out' I won't be telling anybody else & pulling out the card would amount to another 'coming-out' & probably just add more heat to the situation.

I guess in my own case, the reality is that my social orbit is simply too insignificant to seriously entertaining pulling the Aspie card. Apart from wondering whether those few people would even get it. For me more than anything it's really a non-issue.

Yet reading about so many here in this community I realize that there's quite a lot of variety in our lives in terms of social dynamics both within and outside family, friends and acquaintances.

Either no one here plays the card out of weakness, or they're not admitting it. But I will confess to wanting to at times. It comes from having continued needs, wants and expectations that I haven't been and probably never will be able to meet. In these cases, it seems my strengths, whatever they may be, may not be enough to overcome the weakness.

OtI, you and everyone else has the power to change the universe if you so choose. Easily.
A lame example, your choose to kill a fly, I can not spell mosquito, a fly. Kill it, and one less fly, a different universe, due to a choice, or will. Rescue a cat or dog and change things forever, one more is not the same as. Scale this up a bit and change something bigger.
The pain you feel is weakness leaving your mind. You will get stronger with time. Post your progress.

Before reading more of this thread I hadn't considered "playing the ______ card" as something one can do from a position of strength, but rather that somebody does to incur the mercy of others.

Thinking about it, I think that an "aspie card" might have some value in my field. I work with people with developmental disabilities, so if nothing else my life experiences have made me more compassionate and understanding of those who's brains don't work like everyone else's. More specifically, it provides me with valuable insight for working with people with autism, and other similar issues. Since we are going through some of the same things I have actually been able to share my own coping mechanisms with clients. I find that having these ralateable experiences also builds report.

As stated earlier though, I don't have a diagnosis, so it's more like I have a whole plethora of cards for sundry issues. I have my "Klutz Card", my "Bad Short Term Memory Card", my "Social Outcast Card", and so on. If I ever do get my Official Issue Aspie CardTM I suspect it will make my wallet a lot lighter.

Last edited:
Speaking as a New Zealander I can say that there is little to no adult support services. There are plenty of options for children, which is fantastic to see but the adult services are non existent.

Thats why I strongly believe in adult aspies creating sustainable services for ourselves. I see a great opportunity for people such as your self who have a clear idea that the public understanding is low and what things you would like to see as an available, beneficial and helpful service for aspies. Maybe you could start with something as simple as putting up some ads for a casual get together for any local aspies, and discuss needs, offer community.

I have been thinking of doing this for awhile too. I know an old colleague of mine who has heaps of experience as a group facilitator who also has aspergers, and I myself have worked in the social services and have a fair idea of how to hopefully get at least 1 group up and running. Hopefully creating a mission statement and working towards sustainability and then establishing community groups in some of the major cities and towns working towards a common goal of fellowship and support for aspies everywhere.

I remember my Grandfather always saying how much he admired the salvation army and the good work they do for people. After he died I tried to honor him by working for the salvation army. I worked for them in their addiction services and various other services for over five years. The most amazing thing I have ever seen and been privileged to have a small hand in, was seeing groups of people who had nothing, who were literally begging for food to survive come together and support trust and help each other. Having fallen through societal cracks that were still there for others to fall through, they began to find ways to try and mend them.

Someone in this community has a quote on there user profile saying, "Be the change you want to see in the world" I could not agree more with that sentiment, sorry I forget whom in particular that is.
That is so true, as Judge said NT' or the health services have no real idea of what aspergers even really is. Do we really want people who have no idea of our needs creating the services we will end up using?
We know our needs, we know what might help and what we don't know we can learn by getting together and talking about it.
Let us be the change we want, the change we need.

This community has some of the most intelligent, creative, compassionate wise and experienced people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. We have people with so many skills here, we have people with so much kindness and moral strength to share, people who together can shift the status quo, who can help save lives, change lives, bring about a better tomorrow.

We can shift the Zeitgeist of what it means to have aspergers, together we are strong.:)

Qwerty, Hoo Rah!! Let's do this. What you are saying is exactly where I wanted to go with The Rocking Chair Think Tank. Before I sent it south with my pleading for help with getting my avatar up. I think we must do something and speaking for myself I am doing a small thing for another here. I am up for some action. Let's figure out who and how we can do more.

Before reading more of this thread I hadn't considered "playing the ______ card" as something one can do from a position of strength, but rather that somebody does to incur the mercy of others.

Thinking about it, I think that an "aspie card" might have some value in my field. I work with people with developmental disabilities, so if nothing else my life experiences have made me more compassionate and understanding of those who's brains don't work like everyone else's. More specifically, it provides me with valuable insight for working with people with autism, and other similar issues. Since we are going through some of the same things I have actually been able to share my own coping mechanisms with clients. I find that having these ralateable experiences also builds report.

As stated earlier though, I don't have a diagnosis, so it's more like I have a whole plethora of cards for sundry issues. I have my "Klutz Card", my "Bad Short Term Memory Card", my "Social Outcast Card", and so on. If I ever do get my Official Issue Aspie CardTM I suspect it will make my wallet a lot lighter.

Datura, you may be a winner! Have some business cards printed up, O. I. A. C. With a nice real look. Promote and reap your rewards. Audacity can pay, and our genius lurks in the depths of our minds. I think a few others here would appreciate your card.the logistics might be tricky but not insurmountable. I have a few approaches in mind. Perhaps a poll is needed?

you and everyone else has the power to change the universe if you so choose. Easily.

While that is true, and I've experienced it first hand on many occasions, I chased long and hard at trying to change what I thought needed changing. However, I must say that I have been most at peace when I was having as little effect on the universe possible, ie. when I was living as simple a life as I could in the culture in which I was born. I had peeled back the layers of want, spent hours per day in quiet contemplation, used my own muscle power to do just about everything, lived in a kind of communal building, ate a very simple and nutritious diet. While all around me were messages blaring do more, make more, get more.

As I stated before, it is inspiring to hear others stories of daring and triumph. I have proven to be a rather ineffective person prone to biting off more than I can chew when engaged with the culture at large, resulting in unmanageable levels of anxiety. I am an observer, that would be the card I would best be able to wield. Some things I observe have value to others, but I lack the planning and follow through to effect much real change. And I've never been one to rally the troops. I am at my best off in a quiet corner. I do like company there, though.

Last edited:
They are mainly about re-establishing boundaries and renegotiating commitments and responsibilities. Supplying any more details will only sound like whining.

I guess I have a hard time wrapping my head around how admitting that I can't do all that I said I could and would do is taking personal responsibility. Seems just the opposite. I am very comfortable with what being an Aspie means socially, if people have a problem with my behavior and tendencies, F-them (very politely, of course). But I have really struggled academically, economically, and all those other things that responsible adults seem to be able to manage. I've just barely kept my head above water and always feel the whole thing could collapse at any time. That is where I would most seek to play the card, if I thought there would be any benefit.

While I am very inspired by your's and Qwerty's (wow, that's an fun and easy name type!) I often feel I just have to admit that I'm not that strong of a person. I have had a long time of feeling embattled and poorly served by my tendency to shut down when what I need to do is stand up, get to work and make my case.

OtI perhaps with the help of your friends? A simple change of attitude will change your perspective and vision and thus possibly your goal.
We can start or quit anything that has to do with ourselves. Practice exercising your will power, self assuredness and the skills and talents that you know you have and take a single step towards a path of your making. Your friends will advise and encourage. Those that obstruct you are not your friends anyway.
There are many open paths to choose from once you take an exit ramp off the concrete ribbon. A living world as well, I think.

While that is true, and I've experienced it first hand on many occasions, I chased long and hard at trying to change what I thought needed changing. However, I must say that I have been most at peace when I was having as little effect on the universe possible, ie. when I was living as simple a life as I could in the culture in which I was born. I had peeled back the layers of want, spent hours per day in quiet contemplation, used my own muscle power to do just about everything, lived in a kind of communal building, ate a very simple and nutritious diet. While all around me were messages blaring do more, make more, get more.

As I stated before, it is inspiring to hear others stories of daring and triumph. I have proven to be a rather ineffective person prone to biting off more than I can chew when engaged with the culture at large, resulting in unmanageable levels of anxiety. I am an observer, some things I observe have value to others, but I lack the planning and follow through to effect much real change. And I've never been one to rally the troops. I am at my best off in a quiet corner. I do like company there, though.

OtI, I get it. I have been there. Simple elegance is a joy to a creator. Like a leaf in the stream, no worries.
The older I become the more I am compelled to touch minds and pass the lantern along. I am far too old to make a chore of this... whisper of ambition. I am a bug on a leaf in a stream, aside from simply hanging on I stick an arm or leg in the flow in the attempt to influence the leafs motion or timing to actualize myself. The universe is ok with my mucking around with it. It rewards me, so why should I not perceive my life in the universe as my personal all i can eat buffet?

It rewards me, so why should I not perceive my life in the universe as my personal all i can eat buffet?

At risk of veering further off topic, it is the rewards, or lack thereof for me, that dulls my ambitions. Once again, the simpler the better for me, in ambition and reward. The leaf does impart some influence on the breeze as it flows through the tree, it does its daily work converting the sunlight that falls upon it to energy, it helps shade the hot and weary, it pulls what it can, through transpiration, drawing moisture and nutrients from the soil, in autumn it celebrates its short life with a brilliant flash of color. Then it withers and falls to the ground, to be composted into the soil. But a single leaf in itself is only an infinitesimally small fraction of the forest. Each cannot thrive without the other.

Last edited:
At risk of veering further off topic, it is the rewards, or lack thereof for me, that dulls my ambitions. Once again, the simpler the better for me, in ambition and reward. The leaf does impart some influence on the breeze as it flows through the tree, it does its daily work converting the sunlight that falls upon it to energy, it helps shade the hot and weary, it pulls what it can, through transpiration, drawing moisture and nutrients from the soil, in autumn it celebrates its short life with a brilliant flash of color. Then it withers and falls to the ground, to be composted into the soil. But a single leaf in itself is only an infinitesimally small fraction of the forest. Each cannot thrive without the other.

OtI, thank you, clear and elegantly expressed I do appreciate your time and patience.
I am pleased that you have a path that affords you peace. Danger seems to be my destiny, and I tend to stick my proboscis into things that are not my bailiwick, and my neck out to far for my own comfort. I am trying to be of help to my friends here.
I very much look foreword to more of your posts. Thank you

Just so my position is clear, I do actually carry my cards. They are the same as below and on the rear list contacts, medicines and other medical conditions etc.

ice.JPG

If you need to play the aspie card during Magic: The Gathering, now you can!

Aspie_1.jpg

I'm still not sure about the mana cost. It feels reasonable. I also need to find the name of the artist.
I was going to go for a picture of a contemplative mystic in some kind of hermetic force field, or perhaps floating in exile, but I couldn't find such an image. You would not believe how much bad New Age art I waded through before giving up and settling on the painting you see here.

Attachments

• upload_2015-6-24_3-43-50.png
    upload_2015-6-24_3-43-50.png
    50.1 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Thank you for your kind words :)

And thank you, Qwerty, in return!

I guess I have a hard time wrapping my head around how admitting that I can't do all that I said I could and would do is taking personal responsibility.

While I am very inspired by your's and Qwerty's (wow, that's an fun and easy name type!) I often feel I just have to admit that I'm not that strong of a person. I have had a long time of feeling embattled and poorly served by my tendency to shut down when what I need to do is stand up, get to work and make my case.

On playing the Aspie Card as part of taking personal responsibility, self-disclosure when it could help is good self-stewardship. We are our own best advocates, a role we don't always fill to our best potential for fear of judgment -- though it's important to acknowledge that there can be times when we may not feel able, for one reason or another.

I understand what you mean, on the strength front. Consider this, though. You're not a strong person by what standard, and why? It's unfair to compare yourself to NTs around you, using their metrics. They have the advantage of working in a world of their making, while you don't have that luxury. I've seen many signs of strength in your posts. For example, it takes a lot of strength to admit to your weaknesses! A lot of seemingly powerful people I've known can't do that. Nor are they as good as you are at reflecting on behavior, or working to grow.

Nice graphic.
IDK
I don't think I understand the questions.

I took it as deliberately applying one's Aspieness to their advantage. Just not something I'd likely choose to do.

Thanks, tree. :)

To our advantage, yes, but not to take advantage indiscriminately. I only advocate for disclosure when it makes sense toward getting needs met, though as I said before, I have used it for lesser things a couple of times. Not often.

This gets at what I was having a difficult time communicating. I too am inspired by these ideals and realistic, attainable goals.

Subjectively speaking, an important point is this: while there could potentially be a "teaching moment" in a situation where one of us pulls the aspie card, doing any sort of teaching whatsoever with using the card goes 180° against my reality. That is because I would only use the card in situations where I was already maxed out or overwhelmed. Any extra pressure - especially highly social ones - for me to properly impart moral lessons would turn me in a monsterr.
So, I humbly leave teaching moments to be carried out by those who have the wherewithal. my choice is right for me, others may feel differently and as On The Inside said, stronger than me.

I can understand that. If you would only feel the need to make that disclosure under that kind of duress, then it would be ridiculous for anyone to expect you to attempt to take on anything but the task at hand. I may experience my traits and symptoms differently from the way you do yours. I've had a number of jobs over the years for which I've had to develop the ability to step outside myself no matter what I'm feeling inside so I can deal with the public, often in a managerial-type capacity and in unusually dynamic environments. It's been so long since I've made that (very gradual and difficult) adaptation that sometimes it's hard for me to remember being any other way. You can only do what you feel you can, when you feel you can.

I hope you don't think I was being dismissive of other people's very real constraints when I made my previous comments on this thread. In the end I can only speak from my own perspective, but I certainly don't mean to diminish anyone else's.

With due apologies to slithytoves for getting off topic. Painted in honor of (one slice of many layers and directions) randomly visualized categories. :) Mine don't have words very often. https://www.aspiescentral.com/threads/post-your-photography.301/page-15#post-229428

I don't mind tangents on a thread. To me it means people are thinking, which is kinda the point so it's fine if things stray beyond the original subject. This digression was especially welcome since I hadn't seen any of your art. I love your composition and color choice. Do you sell your work?

I hope you don't think I was being dismissive of other people's very real constraints when I made my previous comments on this thread.

No, not dismissive at all, again, it has been uplifting. This discussion has brought out the stark differences between those of us who share the same neurological difference that separates us from normal. I know that all of us have strengths, some more apparent than others, some of us have strengths that allow us to function better, even quite successfully, in the normal world. Others have strengths more esoteric, or lack the ability to bring them out in the light of day.

This has been a valuable discussion about strengths and weaknesses, and I am grateful for the wide variety of responses. I have been highly aware of my own weaknesses, at times to the detriment of my many strengths. They are like an injury that is not allowed to heal, weaknesses not acknowledged and dealt with can, over time, weaken the whole organism.

New Threads

Top Bottom