• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New user and newly diagnosed i have questions

Ajada579

Soooo hi. Im ajada (A jay da). I was recently diagnosed with ASD (aspergers). I was wondering if its just fact or stigma that ALL people on the spectrum struggle with sarcasm and empathy? Only because I've been diagnosed but im also one of the most sarcastic and empathetic (if i dont hate you) people you could meet.

I was wondering about the sarcasm thing last night while watching Little Miss Sunshine. In the movie last night I could pick up on it just fine but with a real person I seem to miss it more often than most people, but not all the time. I have empathy and only have some problems understanding sarcasm. My idea is it's not the sarcasm itself but difficulty sometimes sorting through too much input to put all of it together in a timely fashion. I also think, though I have no evidence, that NTs don't get sarcasm so well either, just like they seem to be missing the empathy thing quite a bit.
Here is something about empathy. Oh, and hello! I'm still rather new here and have so far found this to be a very pleasant group of people.

People with Autism Can Read Emotions, Feel Empathy

Welcome to AC. Hmmmm. Issues with sarcasm seem like so many other traits and behaviors. That we on the spectrum may or may not have them, and at varying amplitudes.

In my own case I've always had difficulty processing incoming sarcasm aimed specifically in my direction. Though while I can project it in many cases, having become self-aware of myself I try to make an effort not to employ sarcasm at all. Though I still have my "moments".

I believe I have empathy, though also admit that I don't project it consistently when or where it may count from the perspective of Neurotypicals. Sometimes leaving people with an impression that I am one "cold SOB".

Last edited:
Soooo hi. Im ajada (A jay da). I was recently diagnosed with ASD (aspergers). I was wondering if its just fact or stigma that ALL people on the spectrum struggle with sarcasm and empathy? Only because I've been diagnosed but im also one of the most sarcastic and empathetic (if i dont hate you) people you could meet.
hi ajada,welcome to AC!
you come under the autism spectrum which is very vast and different for each person.
for each autist; some traits or difficulties may not even exist or may be mild;or they may have them all at the opposite end;severely.
sarcastic ability is one of those things you either have or you dont, im LFA and dont have sarcasm understanding,it confuses me when people use it and they have to explain to me what they mean and then they moan at me for not understanding.
i also dont have empathy [either form of it] as im so distant and removed from other humans nor do i understand humans,i do have sympathy though-but it had to be learned over many years.
other than that i am a warm person who is extremely caring to animals and vulnerable people,lots of people think if you dont have empathy you are a pyschopath but im far from it i hope.

It's not stigma but it is a stereotype of autism, that is, a possible trait of the condition. But I'm one of the most sarcastic people you could meet, so is my cousin who also has Asperger's. Both of us our relaxed behaviour when we're around family or close friends can come across as immature, sarcastic like behaviour.

In regard to empathy, what they mean by lacking empathy is not the same type that people most commonly associate with the term. It's not about not caring that some is troubled, it's not being able to see someone is in trouble (Affective empathy and cognitive empathy respectively). It's cognitive empathy we can lack. But even then not everyone experiences this.

See this video if you want to know the full science behind what they mean about empathy; it's a good watch if you're interested in the autism and other mental conditions like I am.

Welcome to AC. Sarcasm is beautiful. You are in good company. I hope you enjoy it here. I can show empathy as well. Not everyone on the spectrum is the same.

Welcome :)

I mostly have no problem with sarcasm (face to face at least, sometimes written down can present more of an issue). Empathy is something I do not show or understand.

It's not stigma but it is a stereotype of autism, that is, a possible trait of the condition. But I'm one of the most sarcastic people you could meet, so is my cousin who also has Asperger's. Both of us our relaxed behaviour when we're around family or close friends can come across as immature, sarcastic like behaviour.

In regard to empathy, what they mean by lacking empathy is not the same type that people most commonly associate with the term. It's not about not caring that some is troubled, it's not being able to see someone is in trouble (Affective empathy and cognitive empathy respectively). It's cognitive empathy we can lack. But even then not everyone experiences this.

See this video if you want to know the full science behind what they mean about empathy; it's a good watch if you're interested in the autism and other mental conditions like I am.

Fascinating video. Great speaker too.

Welcome aboard :) seriously glad to have you. <not sarcasm
IMG_1177.JPG

I fit in everywhere. It's awesome! Look out below Witty Aspie, I'm dripping awesomeness... or sarcasm. :eek:

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom