• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Low Functioning versus High Functioning Autism

I feel somewhat ashamed to call myself Autistic, when I just have Aspergers
you shouldnt feel ashamed you are autistic!
aspies have verbal autism,sorry to tout my wares again but i made a video the other day on the differences:
obviously when you compare LFA to HFA you will see a lot more complex differences and we [LFAs] have obvious autism and need 24 hour support-i had to have two support staff at all times-night and day up until january last year where i now have one staff at all times and a support cat who keeps me in check.

i know its old but theres a lot of things i dont agree with in this thread, for example-caring about looks; i have no awareness of what people think of me and clothes to me represent pain from the severe sensory issues i suffer with,i would rather be sat in my sports bra and nappy and i do not care one bit about how i look. i choose my clothes to feel comfortable not to look good.

i am not mentally retarded;i am autistic and have intellectual disability [mine is mild].please realise we suffer when 'retarded' is used,we are not slow we have a more rigid way of processing information in the same way you could compare a single processor in a computer vs a dual or quad core processor computer [NTs/ND without ID],a single processor isnt a bad thing it just processes less information which affects how it functions- exactly how we are.

also there is no one 'look' to having intellectual disability,but there are comorbid issues that intellectually disabled people can have,that make them physically different,if you came to my LGBT group [for people with ID] or my gateway club [a social club for people with ID] you wouldnt realise any of us have ID from looks.
people with severe ID [like my uncle william-i have made a video about him on my youtube channel] often look different because they have physical comorbids and lots of genetic conditions also come along with ID such as downs syndrome.plus theres no need to feel sorry for us tragickingdom,why do we need pity? id love my life if it wasnt for the depression and support i get that sucks,almost all staff here dont understand autism to any degree never mind LFA i have asked managers to make sure staff get put on training its laughable that they were allowed to work with me without even knowing things like wearing perfume sets off my behaviors and physical issues.

i do not have any empathy,but i did learn sympathy over the years,it feels fake when i think about it so i try not to.

I wanted to share the following based on some comments I've read here & there. A clarification of sorts although I am no "expert". (Is anyone though?)

So here goes,

It is not accurate that autistic kids have 'no desire to participate' in the world. This includes those who present as severely autistic, low functioning, & non-verbal.

They have extremely sensitive & easily overloaded sensory systems which make them highly sensitive & incapable of expressing themselves - sometimes thought of as incapable of emerging from their internal shell. They typically suffer from extreme anxiety. And their motor functions & body control is very poor & hard to control.

Those things quite obviously make functioning in society VERY difficult if not just completely impossible.

Their outward look & behavior has nothing to do with what they think & feel inside; & they have a hard time finding a method or successful way to communicate. It also takes tremendous effort & discipline for them to do what are typically very simple tasks, including to make the effort to communicate, even non-verbally, again due to their lack of bodily control & motor function. Many literally cannot physically manage verbal communication.

There is no evidence that they lack feelings or empathy etc... They commonly enjoy being around animals & are very good with animals.

Our own autistic nephew makes many self initiated gestures which demonstrate compassion & caring for others. These emanate from his obvious awareness of other people's feelings & are not mimicked or copied behaviors.

As your point below. I sometimes wonder if it's projection on their part.

A lot of social life seems to be about showing you care when actually they don't.
Perhaps our curse is we actually do care but it is made out that we don't.

Heaven forbid that you point to out the game....

But the generalizations that some people make, such as believing autistic people have no interest in participating in the world or doing fun things, no interest in socializing, do not care about others, do not want want or need friends & to be loved, etc ... these are all untrue.

Most of you know all of this already. But I just wanted to say it again. :hibiscus:

As your point above about caring.. I sometimes wonder if it's projection on their part.

A lot of social life seems to be about showing you care when actually they don't.
Perhaps our curse is we actually do care but it is made out that we don't.

Heaven forbid that you point to out the game...

Perhaps a more accurate phrase is "this is not an absolute truth". Some Aspies do want full interaction, most seem to want limited interaction, and there are indeed those that aspire to be hermits. I'm caught somewhere between "limited" and "hermit" myself.
Same here! I prefer to be alone most PD the time, but I do want SOME interaction with friends and family. As far as animals, I CRAVE interaction with our furry, scaly, hairless, or feathery counterparts!

New Threads

Top Bottom