• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Low Functioning versus High Functioning Autism

Tia Maria

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
I wanted to share the following based on some comments I've read here & there. A clarification of sorts although I am no "expert". (Is anyone though?)

So here goes,

It is not accurate that autistic kids have 'no desire to participate' in the world. This includes those who present as severely autistic, low functioning, & non-verbal.

They have extremely sensitive & easily overloaded sensory systems which make them highly sensitive & incapable of expressing themselves - sometimes thought of as incapable of emerging from their internal shell. They typically suffer from extreme anxiety. And their motor functions & body control is very poor & hard to control.

Those things quite obviously make functioning in society VERY difficult if not just completely impossible.

Their outward look & behavior has nothing to do with what they think & feel inside; & they have a hard time finding a method or successful way to communicate. It also takes tremendous effort & discipline for them to do what are typically very simple tasks, including to make the effort to communicate, even non-verbally, again due to their lack of bodily control & motor function. Many literally cannot physically manage verbal communication.

There is no evidence that they lack feelings or empathy etc... They commonly enjoy being around animals & are very good with animals.

Our own autistic nephew makes many self initiated gestures which demonstrate compassion & caring for others. These emanate from his obvious awareness of other people's feelings & are not mimicked or copied behaviors.

The severely autistic children, teens & adults who have mastered the skill of typing as a form of communication have been able to share some of their inner thoughts & feelings. Each one of the books & blogs I have read have revealed a very intelligent & thoughtful person, who not only FEELS feelings, but has feelings for other people & those around them.

Like everyone else in the world, each is a unique individual person.

But the generalizations that some people make, such as believing autistic people have no interest in participating in the world or doing fun things, no interest in socializing, do not care about others, do not want want or need friends & to be loved, etc ... these are all untrue.

Most of you know all of this already. But I just wanted to say it again. :hibiscus:

Okay, more misperceptions, false assumptions & generalities about low functioning autism & Auties in general, versus Aspergers, & I guess NTs & all others.

Many severely autistic people live in a world of their own because they more or less have to, or need to because their severe physical disabilities, extreme sensory sensitivities & high levels of anxiety make it impossible to function "normally". This does not mean that they all have a strong desire to live in their own world & have no relationships or interact with the outside world around them.

It is also untrue that autistics are "unconcerned about their appearance, or don't suffer from being overly sensitive".

Many who have mastered the ability to communicate explain that they are concerned about their appearance, but for most, the difficulty of making the gargantuan effort it would take to change or improve their appearance is too over whelming - remember lack of motor control - & sometimes not worth the severe anxiety it would provoke.

Plus, since many parents do not consider exercise, especially building muscle tone, to be an activity that their severely autistic child should focus on, some don't have access to exercise nor receive the prompting & assistance they would need since it would also require much discipline & determination for them to follow through.

These kids have also shared that they are very sensitive to being poorly treated or even just ignored by others. Of course, unfortunately, most of the people who cross their path on any given day have no idea how to interact with them, or even know if they should, so they play it safe & just "ignore" them.

Thanks for reading. :blossom:

I'm sorry but I think that lack of empathy is one of the preeminent traits of autistic people. It definitely comes up with people who have Aspergers.

Thanks for your input HermanHesse. It's good to know, & I have read many self reported Aspies members here write very clearly that they lack natural empathy.

Since there is such a wide range on the neural spectrum I personally would love to hear directly from non-verbal Autistics what they self report on the topic. There is one young non-verbal Autie blogger I follow who does describe that he has empathy for animals & other people. Of course he represents only himself.

I originally opened this "discussion" in response to several comments made by a member here who has stated many fallacies about low functioning autistic people. (Based on what? I have no idea.)

About the 'no empathy' thing: Firstly, diagnosis is not 'tick all the boxes', but 'tick a good number of the boxes'. That means you can be diagnosed without what any one person considers a prerequisite for everyone to have. Secondly, the 'no empathy' thing is from an NT perspective of not understanding the thoughts or actions of the person, meaning the actions can be incorrectly assumed to reflect no empathy. Finally, there is more than one kind of empathy.

About the 'no empathy' thing: Firstly, diagnosis is not 'tick all the boxes', but 'tick a good number of the boxes'. That means you can be diagnosed without what any one person considers a prerequisite for everyone to have. Secondly, the 'no empathy' thing is from an NT perspective of not understanding the thoughts or actions of the person, meaning the actions can be incorrectly assumed to reflect no empathy. Finally, there is more than one kind of empathy.
Thank you Zurb. You always explain things so well. Now get back to the Word Association game please!! :D Or I will have to Ban you! heehee!

I'm sorry but I think that lack of empathy is one of the preeminent traits of autistic people. It definitely comes up with people who have Aspergers.

It depends on what kind of empathy you're talking about. Autistic people lack or have limited cognitive empathy but they generally have affective empathy.

But the generalizations that some people make, such as believing autistic people have no interest in participating in the world or doing fun things, no interest in socializing, do not care about others, do not want want or need friends & to be loved, etc ... these are all untrue.

"these are all untrue." Really?

Perhaps I misunderstand what point you are trying to make with this statement (Which is in itself a generalization) but classically the diagnosis for Aspergers contains many if not all of the symptoms you list as being "untrue".

I have:
  • No interest in participating in the world
  • No interest in doing fun things
  • No interest in socializing
  • Other symptoms that led to my diagnosis of Aspergers
So, please do not claim that those with Aspergers seek, crave and will not be satiated until they are fully engaged with the world on every level. Many of us admittedly do not care for such trifles.

Perhaps I misunderstand what point you are trying to make with this statement (Which is in itself a generalization) but classically the diagnosis for Aspergers contains many if not all of the symptoms you list as being "untrue".

I have:
So, please do not claim that those with Aspergers seek, crave and will not be satiated until they are fully engaged with the world on every level. Many of us admittedly do not care for such trifles.
Perhaps a more accurate phrase is "this is not an absolute truth". Some Aspies do want full interaction, most seem to want limited interaction, and there are indeed those that aspire to be hermits. I'm caught somewhere between "limited" and "hermit" myself.

I think for many, there is a desire for interaction, but past hurts make it hard. Its easier to withdraw and avoid being hurt again. I think for me, I have mixed feelings.

As with any generalisations and stereotypes, there will always be exceptions. Just because you are an Aspie, it doesn't mean you must feel a particular way.

Empathy felt is internal. I don't believe anyone can tell how some one feels internally. Empathy expressed is externally visible. If I feel something, however strongly, but I can't figure out how to say or show it in an appropriate context, I may decide that "first, do no harm" is the most likely way to avoid the risk of harming the other more than they are.

That's not lack of empathy. That's a reasonable assessment of knowing when a situation exceeds coping skills. Think of how it feels to be compelled to accept hugs when you'd rather not be touched. Who would do that, knowing from personal experience how that burns?

Maybe I'm missing something here.

I have:
If you read & comprehended what I wrote you would see that I was writing about non-verbal, 'low functioning' autistics ... who are often considered mentally retarded by the general population & some (of course not all) aspies based on reading various members' postings across the AC site. I was NOT at all referring to HFA or Aspergers.

My original post was written specifically in response to comments a self-diagnosed Aspie on AC made directly to me about Autistics & primarily those who would be labeled as low functioning. I consider this person to be a 'friend' & they did not intend their comments to be derogatory or insulting to anyone, they were just stating their beliefs which in fact are commonly held ones.

Everything I wrote is a generalization because of course every single human being is a unique individual. But what I wrote represented the personal reflections of several non-verbal 'low functioning' autistics who have written books or blogs (as they can communicate via typing) & one of my husband's own nephews.

This is a very interesting thread. Any comment that I make is just my opinion, nothing more. Remember, we are all different and very complex. I do not think that there can be any set of guidelines that fully apply to all of us, so all I can do is say what I believe to be true.

Empathy: I think that Aspergirl4hire is right about empathy, it is a internal feeling. How can those who say autistic people have no empathy possibly know what a autistic person is feeling? I have received that label because I do not say much. I do not talk unless I have something to say and I do not say anything unless I have thought about it first. Zurb said that the idea of autistic people lacking empathy may be generally a NT perspective. I agree. I do think there is more than one kind of empathy, but I do not think that just because a person is autistic that they lack empathy.

Low functioning autism: I think that there is a infinite number of ways that autism can effect a person. That is why it is called a spectrum disorder. No matter where a person is on the spectrum, I believe that there is someone in there and can be reached. I know that the problems are huge and I have the utmost respect those who work with these people.

... But the generalizations that some people make, such as believing autistic people have no interest in participating in the world or doing fun things, no interest in socializing, do not care about others, do not want want or need friends & to be loved, etc ... these are all untrue.
However, these are all symptoms of depression.
Many aspies, due to being unable to control their environment and due to how they are treated, drop into depression.
Sometimes its hard to separate what is 'aspieness' and what is 'comorbid' - even for us.

However, these are all symptoms of depression.
Many aspies, due to being unable to control their environment and due to how they are treated, drop into depression.
Sometimes its hard to separate what is 'aspieness' and what is 'comorbid' - even for us.[/
AS can cause a lot of isolation and loneliness, a very depressing situation.

If you read & comprehended what I wrote you would see that I was writing about non-verbal, 'low functioning' autistics ... who are often considered mentally retarded by the general population & some (of course not all) aspies based on reading various members' postings across the AC site. I was NOT at all referring to HFA or Aspergers.

My original post was written specifically in response to comments a self-diagnosed Aspie on AC made directly to me about Autistics & primarily those who would be labeled as low functioning. I consider this person to be a 'friend' & they did not intend their comments to be derogatory or insulting to anyone, they were just stating their beliefs which in fact are commonly held ones.

Everything I wrote is a generalization because of course every single human being is a unique individual. But what I wrote represented the personal reflections of several non-verbal 'low functioning' autistics who have written books or blogs (as they can communicate via typing) & one of my husband's own nephews.

You sound hostile.

I was, in fact, describing my interactions with "low-functioning" Autistics (who claim to have Aspergers) whom do not speak.

And, yes, even I would consider them "retarded" if I had not met them in an Aspergers meet-up. Sorry. That is how they act and appear. What else should I call it?

I do realize there is a great difference between high and low-functioning and I truly am not trying to personally judge them. As I stated, I feel sorry for them.

So, what exactly is your point?

Now I see. You are replying to a post I made months ago, not the post I made on here yesterday.

That being said, I still stand by my observations of low-functioning Autistics.

I personally don't think that people on the spectrum lack empathy but I do think that perhaps some people on the spectrum might lack a way to communicate and express the empathy that they feel. As for "non-verbal, 'low functioning' autistics" I wouldn't presume to guess what they might think, desire or opinion, I simply don't know, but I do respect them, they are after all people, just the same as everyone else.

New Threads

Top Bottom