• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Knee pain sucks.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
Woke up with knee pain a couple of days ago. Now the swelling and the redness have gone down but it still feels super stiff and somewhat achy at the back of the knee. I am stretching and flexing it to try to remove the stiffness. What else should I be doing at this point?

Woke up with knee pain a couple of days ago. Now the swelling and the redness have gone down but it still feels super stiff and somewhat achy at the back of the knee. I am stretching and flexing it to try to remove the stiffness. What else should I be doing at this point?
Joints, swelling with redness and quite warm to the touch. Above all with varying degrees of pain. Right?

As I recall, you've been there before. But probably involving your feet and ankles.

Last edited:
I think you may need go to the doctor, who can refer you to a physiotherapist. That is at least how it works where I live, in Denmark.

Joints, swelling with redness and quite warm to the touch. Above all with varying degrees of pain. Right?

As I recall, you've been there before. But probably involving your feet and ankles.
Gout in the ankle, huh? That’s a first for me.

Ankles, feet, toes and knees. Most any joint is technically vulnerable. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Learned to do without it in paying close attention to purine-rich foods to avoid in whole or in part. Even then it can be a hit-miss thing. But it's been years since my last attack.

Ankles, feet, toes and knees. Most any joint is technically vulnerable. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Learned to do without it in paying close attention to purine-rich foods to avoid in whole or in part. Even then it can be a hit-miss thing. But it's been years since my last attack.
Yeah, I meant to type in the knee. I am fairly sleep deprived today.

I think you may need go to the doctor, who can refer you to a physiotherapist. That is at least how it works where I live, in Denmark.
I always end up having good conversations with the physiotherapists as here they have master degrees they like me as i am very talkative.

Yeah, I meant to type in the knee. I am fairly sleep deprived today.
Remember gout is a form of arthritis. Flaring up in different places, but also different intensities. The lesser painful types if caught early can be diminished if you stop eating any trigger foods. But that's always the challenge. To know exactly what those trigger foods may be.

I remember decades ago getting it and my solution was to get drunk. WAY BAD IDEA! Had no idea it was gout, or that alcohol makes it considerably worse. Back then I was eating a lot of fast food. Though it was convenient at the time. NOT! :eek:

Though getting a prescription for allopurinol can certainly help. ;)

Last edited:
I had a friend that suffered severe gout and was on medication for it for many years. It affected both his legs up to the hips and both arms if he let it get out of control. His biggest problem was a life long love of seafood, especially shellfish and crabs.

I only ever had one bad attack when I was in my 30s, it was an extraordinary amount of pain for such a tiny swelling. The doctor gave me a list of foods I shouldn't eat and I've mostly avoided problems ever since. Every now and then I get tripped up but I learn quick.

I had a friend that suffered severe gout and was on medication for it for many years. It affected both his legs up to the hips and both arms if he let it get out of control. His biggest problem was a life long love of seafood, especially shellfish and crabs.

I only ever had one bad attack when I was in my 30s, it was an extraordinary amount of pain for such a tiny swelling. The doctor gave me a list of foods I shouldn't eat and I've mostly avoided problems ever since. Every now and then I get tripped up but I learn quick.
Shellfish are pretty much at the top of the list of foods to avoid!

Shellfish are pretty much at the top of the list of foods to avoid!
Another one I found out about the hard way, I don't know if you have these in other countries or not. A dark chocolate Cherry Ripe crippled me for a couple of days.

cad-dkchryripe1.jpg

Another one I found out about the hard way, I don't know if you have these in other countries or not. A dark chocolate Cherry Ripe crippled me for a couple of days.

View attachment 124492

With me it was Reeses Buttercups. Or so I thought at the time. Thinking peanuts in general were bad for me.

Eventually I realized it wasn't that particular product or peanuts, so much as too much sugar at the time.

Ironic it was a cherry candy bar....as organic black cherry/cherry juice helps with gout. Though it's not cheap...but then neither are medicines!

With me it was Reeses Buttercups. Or so I thought at the time. Thinking peanuts in general were bad for me.

Eventually I realized it wasn't that particular product or peanuts, so much as too much sugar at the time.
For me, it was beer. Lots and lots of beer. I no longer drink alcohol, though.

For me, it was beer. Lots and lots of beer. I no longer drink alcohol, though.
Alcohol is up there with shellfish. I still love eating jumbo prawns...but at the most maybe four times a year.

Still like liquor, but was never a solitary drinker and have no one to socialize with. Poultry is another one I have to be careful about. But then my reflux oddly serves to help in this respect. Can't eat anything rich in animal fats or grease.

Alcohol is up there with shellfish. I still love eating jumbo prawns...but at the most maybe four times a year.

Still like liquor, but was never a solitary drinker and have no one to socialize with. Poultry is another one I have to be careful about. But then my reflux oddly serves to help in this respect. Can't eat anything rich in animal fats or grease.
So it might have been the wings I made for myself a couple of nights ago. Lovely, I have to give up wings, too.

So it might have been the wings I made for myself a couple of nights ago. Lovely, I have to give up wings, too.
Yep...that was a tough one for me to give up too. But any fried meats or poultry can be the kiss of death for me. Steak, wings...fried chicken. Nope-nope-nope. Oddly enough though, fried veggies don't bother me at all. But that's more about reflux than gout. A double-whammy for moi. :(

Yet I can tolerate burgers to some degree. Depends a lot on a lack of grease. Go figure.

Above all though, don't think of the possibility of gout based on a single food consumed. Always consider the possibility of a cumulative effect from multiple foods that may be a "no-no". Whether you are aware of them or not.

Last edited:
I got some portion of the exercise everyone tells me to get, to the tune of 2km, and now I feel like sleeping for about 12 hours.

I am working from home again today because my knee hurts so much that I cannot walk a mile to the bus stop. My boss is pissed off at me. I need to find a different job ASAP.

If you can complete the work at home as well as you do in the office,
what logical reason is there for the boss to object to you working
from home?

New Threads

Top Bottom