• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Knee pain sucks.

Had something similar a while back. Doing stretches and flexes helped a bit, but honestly, what made the biggest difference was when I finally caved and saw some registered physiotherapists.

They set me straight with exercises that were just right for my knee, without making things worse. Plus, they explained what was going on, which helped me avoid messing it up again in the future.

Another one I found out about the hard way, I don't know if you have these in other countries or not. A dark chocolate Cherry Ripe crippled me for a couple of days.

View attachment 124492
Oh they look yummy! I'm not really contributing much to the conversation here I know but I wish they sold them in the UK. I had a carrot cake muffin earlier so I should probably try to be content with that :)

Oh they look yummy! I'm not really contributing much to the conversation here I know but I wish they sold them in the UK. I had a carrot cake muffin earlier so I should probably try to be content with that :)
They are very yummy, that's the trouble. Our Cadbury seems to give us a much bigger range than yours does, maybe it's because most of us don't have as much of a sweet tooth as other countries so they have to try harder to tempt us.

They are very yummy, that's the trouble. Our Cadbury seems to give us a much bigger range than yours does, maybe it's because most of us don't have as much of a sweet tooth as other countries so they have to try harder to tempt us.

Wow! It does look like they offer more in Australia! They used to have a much bigger range over here a decade ago, but they have steadily been thinning it out. Also shrinkflation has been a big thing. You just don't get as much as you used to for the price so Cadbury chocolate has become a bit more of a luxury item for me. I don't have much of a sweet tooth. It's just something I indulge in occasionally, so I don't feel the pinch so much financially :)

chocolate has become a bit more of a luxury item for me.
I went off it when I moved to the tropics, you can't eat it unless you stay standing in the shop because it melts too quick. Same deal with icecreams. Also in that heat you really feel it if you have too much sugar, you feel hotter and more lethargic.

After a week of walking 10,000 steps a day followed with a single day of brainless video gaming, my knee pain is back with a vengeance. I am working from home today because I can't walk to the bus stop like this. My knee is swollen and red and warm to the touch.

After a week of walking 10,000 steps a day followed with a single day of brainless video gaming, my knee pain is back with a vengeance. I am working from home today because I can't walk to the bus stop like this. My knee is swollen and red and warm to the touch.
I'm sorry you are in so much pain with your knee :( I know how much it can affect you having significant knee pain myself. You become aware of just how much your knees are involved with the smallest of movements. Just shifting position in a chair or in bed can trigger lots of pain.

It sounds like you experience similar problems. Like, it can be ok as long as you keep moving but when you rest that's when the pain comes back stronger than ever. There's been times when I've been so tired and can't sleep because of knee pain and I have to stand because it's less painful to stand. Then after a while I start falling asleep on my feet. So I get back into bed and the pain kicks in again, so I'm in and out of bed like a yo-yo.

Sometimes putting something like a hot water bottle on my knee helps. It's not a miracle cure but it can help while you rest it. The only other thing that helps me are pain killers, but they don't really make much difference when I'm moving around. It's more than they subdue the constant aching feeling, not those transient spikes of pain when moving.

I hope it will improve after some rest and maybe make sure that you aren't trying to walk to the bus stop before your knee can cope with it. I really hope you feel better soon! :)

Seriously, this kind of pain that keeps coming and going is my biggest issue in life these days, as the pain is truly debilitating when it strikes.

There is a world outside my house I want to explore, but when putting weight on my knee causes insane pain, I feel discouraged.

This might be something you've done or thought of before, but I sometimes find that one of those sports knee supports can help a bit. It doesn't eliminate the pain but it can help me cope for longer. It can start to feel a bit tight after a while, so I suppose that could be swelling. I wouldn't rely on it to get you to work, but maybe if you want to have a walk out it could help :)

OK, so I just took one of the ten hydrocodone pills my surgeon prescribed to me when I had my septoplasty three months ago. My knee is hurting that badly, but I do not want to be a pill fiend the way my aunt is.

Sometimes we just need a break from pain and there's no shame in taking a pain killer. I'm sure you will take them as directed and no more often than is necessary :)

I sometimes take a painkiller called Paramol, which is the strongest version of codeine you can buy over the counter. It definitely helps a lot. I only take it for a few days and then I just try and cope with the pain. It can be addictive so I try to stick to that. It definitely helps because it gives me a break from the pain to a large degree. I feel better so I have more energy and I'm less worn down.

I don't feel any cravings for it. I think I'd consider that a warning sign that I should avoid taking it if it happened.

I am giving the rest of those pills back to the pharmacy tomorrow for disposal. This euphoria comes with too many strings attached and I don’t need to enter another addiction rabbit hole.

Assuming it is gout, the sad part is this kind of pain is difficult to describe, along with the redness and swelling that sometimes could get scary. Until I got it under control with learning what no to eat, it could be excruciating. With little to reduce the pain in the short run other than to drink things like organic cherry juice. It will help...

Unfortunately there's a lot to it. And figuring out what foods are causing you so much grief is not a simple process of elimination. So there will be setbacks even when you think you have it under control.

Last edited:
Sometimes we just need a break from pain and there's no shame in taking a pain killer. I'm sure you will take them as directed and no more often than is necessary
MildredHubble, not for people with addiction problems. Your sentiments are kind and show compassion, but Metalhead is right to be extremely cautious and wary of these drugs. Taking pain medication that is left over from surgery for a different problem is already not taking them as directed. Although, I agree that shame should not be part of the equations.

@Metalhead, you are absolutely right to get rid of those pills. I'm not trying to control you or tell you what to do, but based on the addiction history that you have shared here and your expressed desire to be sober, these pills are a great danger to you.

I urge you to follow through with the plan and get rid of the pills. Having them in your possession is a doorway into an entirely new addiction and it could be one that kills you quickly.

People like us cannot have opiates just lying around and expect everything to be okay. Please dump the pills tomorrow. It's your choice and there is no intention to shame or judge you. I just care and I fully understand the pull of the opiate and it is very strong.

MildredHubble, not for people with addiction problems. Your sentiments are kind and show compassion, but Metalhead is right to be extremely cautious and wary of these drugs. Taking pain medication that is left over from surgery for a different problem is already not taking them as directed. Although, I agree that shame should not be part of the equations.

@Metalhead, you are absolutely right to get rid of those pills. I'm not trying to control you or tell you what to do, but based on the addiction history that you have shared here and your expressed desire to be sober, these pills are a great danger to you.

I urge you to follow through with the plan and get rid of the pills. Having them in your possession is a doorway into an entirely new addiction and it could be one that kills you quickly.

People like us cannot have opiates just lying around and expect everything to be okay. Please dump the pills tomorrow. It's your choice and there is no intention to shame or judge you. I just care and I fully understand the pull of the opiate and it is very strong.
That makes sense Rodafina. I guess I was a bit naive about how this sort of medication can affect people :( I'm glad @Metalhead is going to dispose of the pills responsibly.

It is frustrating that medical science can't produce an effective pain killer for chronic pain that isn't an opiate. You'd think we would have cracked that by now.

A friend I can trust will take the pills to disposal for me. I still have trouble walking, and this friend has no addiction problems and can be trusted.

A friend I can trust will take the pills to disposal for me. I still have trouble walking, and this friend has no addiction problems and can be trusted.
Great idea, @Metalhead.

I respect your strength and wisdom in giving them up and finding a way even though you are in pain.

New Threads

Top Bottom