• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is Asperger's a Learning Disability?

Is Asperger's a Learning Disability?

• Yes

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Other comment

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
Topic.

Just come from a pointless meeting at the local Social services about the possibility of joining an "Employment course", yet according to the Manager of the woman who would've referred me to the course, Asperger's is NOT classed as a learning disability! Eh?

For legal reasons I can't name where I've been or who I've seen.

Point is though, is this Manager correct?
Asperger's is not a learning disability! Most aspies are off the chart intelligent and able to learn.

And yet, to add confusion to the mix, 'Nonverbal Learning Disability' is a closely related diagnosis to Asperger's, even to the point of overlap.

Asperger's is not a learning disability! Most aspies are off the chart intelligent and able to learn.
aspies only have to be 1 point outside of learning [AKA intellectual disability] disability to qualify as having aspergers syndrome,and there for having high functioning autism, one such example is barry george,he is the guy that was jailed for killing jill dando [the old crimewatch UK presenter] he was an aspie but just one IQ point away from being classified as having childhood/classic autism and not aspergers, his intellectual and aspie vulnerability might have caused him to end up blamed when he wasnt in fact the person to murder her quite possibility-interesting reading.

IQ and intelligence isnt all that really,i might have mild learning/intellectual disability but i learned linux over the years by screwing up and practicing over and over, cant go any further as im stuck and cant get any help,plus FE colleges dont do courses on it.

Indeed. With the UK definitions they do technically "leave the door open" given how they word such things. Just not enough to easily capitalize on them in terms of government entitlements- by design. An economic dynamic we on the other side of the pond also must constantly deal with. Usually resulting in having to secure the services of legal coun$el to push such a case.

And above all, neither the professional medical community or government is empirically on the same page about autism. Sometimes I have the impression that they more the authorities learn, they less they understand. And yet remain quite guarded about ever publicly admitting as such. o_O

If the school says that your kid has X, then they have to pay for X testing and X teaching. Sometimes they want others to pay for stuff. Teachers bosses don't like giving out expensive stuff willy-nilly.

I'm American and it took me a while to understand that the U.K. treats disabilities and difficulties differently. I know I personally don't consider AS a disability but legally here in the US people would consider it a learning disability/disorder/difficulty as well as my moms sensory processing disorder. We really need to rethink these labels because they make us more confused about autism if anything

I have done a bit of digging around and come across the Mencap website.
https://www.mencap.org.uk/learning-disability-explained/conditions/autism-and-aspergers-syndrome

Is Autism a Learning Disability?

Autism is not a learning disability, but around half of people with autism may also have a learning disability, which will affect the level of support they need in their life. Some people may also receive a ‘dual diagnosis'; for example, they may have Down's syndrome and autism.

Asperger's syndrome is a form of autism which also causes communication and emotional problems. However, people with Asperger's syndrome often have fewer problems with speaking and are less likely to have a learning disability.
Funny that, I once saw a booklet from Mencap in which they claimed that dyslexia was not a learning difficulty (because it doesn't affect intellect) but that Asperger's was. They went on to cite swimmer Jessica Jane Applegate as a person who hasn't let a learning difficulty prevent her from getting ahead in life. For the record, JJA has Asperger's and competes as a Paralympian. By contrast Michael Phelps (swimmer) and Louis Smith (gymnast) both have ADHD and compete as Olympians. Why the difference?

Last edited:
No, but it could appear so if you're so focussed on what interests you, that you don't have time or can't motivate yourself to learn the bits that bore you or seem irrelevant.

For the record, JJA has Asperger's and competes as a Paralympian. By contrast Michael Phelps (swimmer) and Louis Smith (gymnast) both have ADHD and compete as Olympians. Why the difference?

Perhaps just a subjective medical determination regarding a severity of impairment.

It's not a learning disability. I learn in a different way, that sometimes takes longer, or requires visual aids, or a different method to understand, or a quiet atmosphere. But in no way do I have an inability to learn, essentially I can learn just about anything given the time, focus and interest.

No, but I also have Nonverbal Learning Disability, which definitely is and has a profound impact on my ability to remember information. I'm not that smart, despite what people are saying about all aspies supposedly being super-smart. I'm so tired of that stereotype.

yes,she is correct aspergers is not a learning disability under the UK definition.

learning disability is intellectual disability,you have to have an IQ under 70 points if i remember correctly and the functioning/mental capacity to match.
i am diagnosed with mild learning disability AND classic autism,so they are seperate things but you will find UK places refer to autism and aspergers as 'learning difficulties' which is true, as they can make learning difficult but with this term there is no criteria for intelligence-you can be intellectually smart and have difficulty with learning;as an aspie/autistic.

people with aspergers cannot also have learning disability,as by definition it is high functioning autism which in the UK means 'autism with an IQ over 70'.
well after working as support worker in field i am bit confused by this and after my own diagnosis as i always thoughts aspergers and autism were classed as learning disability in all my 18 years of work in field but when i had my diagnosis i was told iam close to the border but nt quite learning disability when i asked the reason why i was told becuase i can write poetry yes i cant do english punctuation or grammar or maths and have problem learning or absorbing and retaining information . so my friend iam just as confused as you i think the term high funtioning autism your not and low function you are if this helps .if anyone wishes to correct me on this feel free thats best answer i can give .

New Threads

Top Bottom