• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is Asperger's a Learning Disability?

Is Asperger's a Learning Disability?

• Yes

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 27 69.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Other comment

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

Just come from a pointless meeting at the local Social services about the possibility of joining an "Employment course", yet according to the Manager of the woman who would've referred me to the course, Asperger's is NOT classed as a learning disability! Eh?

For legal reasons I can't name where I've been or who I've seen.

Point is though, is this Manager correct?

Point is though, is this Manager correct?

Yes. You have to focus on a legal distinction between what may constitute a "difficulty" versus a "disability". They aren't the same thing. Especially in a legal sense in any political/economic system that rigidly controls and limits most entitlements.

"People with Asperger syndrome are of average or above average intelligence. They do not usually have the learning disabilities that many autistic people have, but they may have specific learning difficulties. They have fewer problems with speech but may still have difficulties with understanding and processing language."

- National Autistic Society, UK

Asperger syndrome - NAS

Last edited:
yes,she is correct aspergers is not a learning disability under the UK definition.

learning disability is intellectual disability,you have to have an IQ under 70 points if i remember correctly and the functioning/mental capacity to match.
i am diagnosed with mild learning disability AND classic autism,so they are seperate things but you will find UK places refer to autism and aspergers as 'learning difficulties' which is true, as they can make learning difficult but with this term there is no criteria for intelligence-you can be intellectually smart and have difficulty with learning;as an aspie/autistic.

people with aspergers cannot also have learning disability,as by definition it is high functioning autism which in the UK means 'autism with an IQ over 70'.

I have done a bit of digging around and come across the Mencap website.
https://www.mencap.org.uk/learning-disability-explained/conditions/autism-and-aspergers-syndrome

Is Autism a Learning Disability?

Autism is not a learning disability, but around half of people with autism may also have a learning disability, which will affect the level of support they need in their life. Some people may also receive a ‘dual diagnosis'; for example, they may have Down's syndrome and autism.

Asperger's syndrome is a form of autism which also causes communication and emotional problems. However, people with Asperger's syndrome often have fewer problems with speaking and are less likely to have a learning disability.

My oldest son has Asperger's as well, and while I struggled my whole life with learning, he was able to skate by in education with no difficulty whatsoever .
So, I have to conclude that I have some learning disability as well, while he does not.

Looking back on my life after determining I was always on the spectrum, it's made me realize that learning much of anything was always a bit of a struggle for me. It was always frustrating to me in the past when I couldn't pin this on any one issue, like so many other of my traits and behaviors. At least I'm grateful now to have answers to such questions.

Though I was able to learn things through perseverance and patience. Not as much as I'd like, but enough to establish that while it is inherently difficult for me, it does not constitute a disability as such.

I figure in my own case, a true learning "disability" would have to amount to some kind of barrier that routinely keeps me from learning much of anything in whole or in part. A rarity in my case.

Though I still look back on my struggle to learn Macromedia Flash many years ago. When I was frustrated to no end, and pressured by my employer to learn it for my job. And yet it all became clear one day in a short conversation with and ASP developer who I mentioned it to. He explained certain core functions in a way that suddenly made sense to me. Voila!

Though to this day to be honest, I still can get very angry with myself when something just doesn't become so clear, no matter how much I want it right then. Indeed, I have to work at it. With no guarantees that I will ever master it.

Last edited:
She's correct. However, that doesn't mean that people with AS can't also have learning disabilities. I have dyscalculia and dyslexia as well as Asperger's. Some think there may be a link between ASD and things like learning disabilities, other neurological conditions and mental illnesses, and others argue there is no link at all.

She's correct. However, that doesn't mean that people with AS can't also have learning disabilities. I have dyscalculia and dyslexia as well as Asperger's. Some think there may be a link between ASD and things like learning disabilities, other neurological conditions and mental illnesses, and others argue there is no link at all.

Indeed. With the UK definitions they do technically "leave the door open" given how they word such things. Just not enough to easily capitalize on them in terms of government entitlements- by design. An economic dynamic we on the other side of the pond also must constantly deal with. Usually resulting in having to secure the services of legal coun$el to push such a case.

And above all, neither the professional medical community or government is empirically on the same page about autism. Sometimes I have the impression that they more the authorities learn, they less they understand. And yet remain quite guarded about ever publicly admitting as such. o_O

Last edited:
I am impressed with the "woman" for saying that aspergers is not a learning disability, because it is not.

To NTs it is, because of taking things literally, which to them would define a sense of being backwards. Also, not being able get jokes or join in social interactions and being slow with responses etc, that to them, would classify us as having learning difficulties.

But, the reality is quite different. My husband who has never been told he has learning difficulties etc, finds my conversations to be too heavy, so there you go!

I echo everything other people have said, Asperger's and autism are not learning disabilities like dyslexia or dyscalculia.

Autism used to always get the buck passed with the mental health services and the learning disabilities services but because it fit neither category neither one would do anything about it. Eventually the mental health services took it on to support people with it.

When she said it, I got rather defensive and said that contrary to popular belief I am NOT retarded, and I've been called that and a LOT worse on various forums over the years.

More to the point, I am so over being told by some suited jobsworth that I am not eligible for stuff that was THEIR idea to sign me up to.

My oldest son has Asperger's as well, and while I struggled my whole life with learning, he was able to skate by in education with no difficulty whatsoever .
So, I have to conclude that I have some learning disability as well, while he does not.
hi xudo, you are using the US/DSM version of learning disability which means 'a specific disability in some part of learning which is very different to your actual intellectual capacity' [hope ive made sense,ive had my night meds].
'learning disability' in the UK only refers to what the US call intellectual disability, dyslexia,dyscalulia and so forth are refered to as learning difficulties here [UK].

aspiegirl75,if you were in the UK you might have learning difficulties if you struggled in education,but its different to having the UK definition of learning disability-which means your IQ is under 70 and you have the functioning and mental capacity to match, the OP and a few of us replying to him are from the UK which is why there is a bit of confusion as most people on here are american.

heres an example as to how aspergers or autism is not a learning disability-
mencap;a charity for people for with learning disability do not support autists with aspergers,they only support autists who have an additional learning disability.

social services learning disability teams for example will only support people who have LD and functioning/mental capacity to match,this is why aspies can only get into the social services system via the mental health team,or an additional team [is there one for physical and sensory?] i think there are in some places and aparently some places in the UK have an autism team, unfortunately not rolled out everywhere though.

the definition of aspergers/high functioning autism is simply 'autism with an IQ over 70'.

When she said it, I got rather defensive and said that contrary to popular belief I am NOT retarded, and I've been called that and a LOT worse on various forums over the years.
i have the UK definition of learning disability and i am not retarded,i hate being refered to as it because i am not mentally slow i just cant handle information like other people, i process much much less,get overloaded easily by information,have a low vocabulary,and struggle to understand other peoples every day language without my online dictionary and thesaurus handy,i also struggle with basic functioning from toilet training to eating to speaking to regulating my behaviors plus i am blissfully unaware of other people around me which is a throw back both to my severe autism and my mild learning disability.
i also need both significant verbal and physical help with personal care, i have to have people do most tasks for me as i struggle to cope with so many things and and i cant use public transport because of my behaviors so i have a motability car;another aspect of learning disability [and classic autism].
however...i am not retarded,i see freedom in being who i am, i dont feel limited i feel free to be me and free to do what i want i dont feel i can be stopped.
'retarded' is an outdated american definition which is why it is now called intellectual disability in the US.

hi xudo, you are using the US/DSM version of learning disability which means 'a specific disability in some part of learning which is very different to your actual intellectual capacity' [hope ive made sense,ive had my night meds].
'learning disability' in the UK only refers to what the US call intellectual disability, dyslexia,dyscalulia and so forth are refered to as learning difficulties here [UK].

aspiegirl75,if you were in the UK you might have learning difficulties if you struggled in education,but its different to having the UK definition of learning disability-which means your IQ is under 70 and you have the functioning and mental capacity to match, the OP and a few of us replying to him are from the UK which is why there is a bit of confusion as most people on here are american.

heres an example as to how aspergers or autism is not a learning disability-
mencap;a charity for people for with learning disability do not support autists with aspergers,they only support autists who have an additional learning disability.

social services learning disability teams for example will only support people who have LD and functioning/mental capacity to match,this is why aspies can only get into the social services system via the mental health team,or an additional team [is there one for physical and sensory?] i think there are in some places and aparently some places in the UK have an autism team, unfortunately not rolled out everywhere though.

the definition of aspergers/high functioning autism is simply 'autism with an IQ over 70'.

i have the UK definition of learning disability and i am not retarded,i hate being refered to as it because i am not mentally slow i just cant handle information like other people, i process much much less,get overloaded easily by information,have a low vocabulary,and struggle to understand other peoples every day language without my online dictionary and thesaurus handy,i also struggle with basic functioning from toilet training to eating to speaking to regulating my behaviors plus i am blissfully unaware of other people around me which is a throw back both to my severe autism and my mild learning disability.
i also need both significant verbal and physical help with personal care, i have to have people do most tasks for me as i struggle to cope with so many things and and i cant use public transport because of my behaviors so i have a motability car;another aspect of learning disability [and classic autism].
however...i am not retarded,i see freedom in being who i am, i dont feel limited i feel free to be me and free to do what i want i dont feel i can be stopped.
'retarded' is an outdated american definition which is why it is now called intellectual disability in the US.
Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry, then, I misunderstood.
By that definition then, Asperger's is not a learning disability, because as mentioned above it is considered HFA.
Sorry for the confusion. To be honest, I'm struggling to keep track of ALL the different names or classifications of the same things, not only in different countries but even among different professionals IN the same country!

homelessness seems to have been made for me, but I so far have avoided it by the skin of me teeth. everything is just so @#$% hard! NOTHING in life is easy other than to fail.

in my opinion it would be easier to learn things as an aspy. the disadvantage is when someone is teaching you and trying to figure out what these weird norms are trying to relay.

Thanks for the clarification. I use learning disability and difficulty interchangeably, as they were always used in this way when I was growing up (not about me as I wasn't diagnosed with dyslexia/dyscalculia until my late teens/early twenties, but around my high school mainly as they had a 'unit' for kids with severe learning difficulties, like my best friend).

Thanks for the clarification. I use learning disability and difficulty interchangeably, as they were always used in this way when I was growing up (not about me as I wasn't diagnosed with dyslexia/dyscalculia until my late teens/early twenties, but around my high school mainly as they had a 'unit' for kids with severe learning difficulties, like my best friend).
xudo,no problem! thats pretty normal to be honest,i know loads of support staff who use learning 'difficulty' and 'disability' interchangeably but im very pedantic on that as im a 'gobshite' [my sister calls me that] and also a learning disability activist :D .

here is another example,when i was a teen, i wanted to go to a private school called queen ethelbergers college [i think thats what its called,look it up,its amazing] -if you love horse riding you would love the school,you get to have your own horse and horse riding lessons are part of every day life there.

however, i wouldnt have been able to get in had my parents been rich enough to afford it as their disability support consists of only helping people with 'learning difficulties' like aspergers and dyslexia,not 'learning disability' nor complex disabilities like classic autism or downs syndrome,i guess they want to keep up their education scores.

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry, then, I misunderstood.
By that definition then, Asperger's is not a learning disability, because as mentioned above it is considered HFA.
Sorry for the confusion. To be honest, I'm struggling to keep track of ALL the different names or classifications of the same things, not only in different countries but even among different professionals IN the same country!
i totally agree aspiegirl,and i see this forum as american and we as UK people should adapt our language to it,that is why i use 'ID' and 'intellectual disability' in my posts as most people here see 'learning disability' as something completely different.

i just get quite pedantic about intellectual disability as ive been campaigning for years for better understanding and awareness,i have no issue with changing my language to avoid confusion as i like everyone here.

New Threads

Top Bottom